Old 21-09-2007, 03:08 PM posted to rec.boats,alt.autos.toyota,rec.gardens,alt.home.repair

Default Speaking of dirty Rochester stockboys

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
Mongo like this picture.

http://i14.tinypic.com/4qeduo3.jpg

ROFL!

Old 21-09-2007, 03:49 PM posted to rec.boats,alt.autos.toyota,rec.gardens,alt.home.repair

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
.. .

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
Mongo like this picture.

http://i14.tinypic.com/4qeduo3.jpg

ROFL!

Amazing. You are able to find freely available information on the internet.
What's next? Learn to use a spoon?

Old 22-09-2007, 12:45 AM posted to rec.boats,alt.autos.toyota,rec.gardens,alt.home.repair

On 2007-09-21 07:49:27 -0700, "JoeSpareBedroom"
said:

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
.. .

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
Mongo like this picture.
http://i14.tinypic.com/4qeduo3.jpg

ROFL!

Amazing. You are able to find freely available information on the
internet.
What's next? Learn to use a spoon?

Joe...no offense intended...but get to the gym, man.

Assuming that's you, of course.

It's me, and I agree halfway. It's about 20% shirt and bad picture angle.
But still, I saw that picture and said PHUQUE! This isn't good. Got back to
hiking 3 miles a day on some outrageous hills, carrying 50 lbs in a backpack
and 20 lbs in each hand for resistance. I've been in size 34 jeans since
1970, went to 35 two years ago. I will NOT continue in that direction. Not.

Old 22-09-2007, 01:50 AM posted to rec.boats,alt.autos.toyota,rec.gardens,alt.home.repair

On 2007-09-21 16:45:50 -0700, "JoeSpareBedroom"
said:
Joe...no offense intended...but get to the gym, man.

Assuming that's you, of course.

It's me, and I agree halfway. It's about 20% shirt and bad picture angle.
But still, I saw that picture and said PHUQUE! This isn't good. Got back
hiking 3 miles a day on some outrageous hills, carrying 50 lbs in a
backpack
and 20 lbs in each hand for resistance. I've been in size 34 jeans since
1970, went to 35 two years ago. I will NOT continue in that direction.
Not.

I don't know how tall you are, but you should strive for no higher than 18
percent body fat. You'll live longer, and keep diabetes away. A good
thing.

15-16% would be better. I pack 13 and, at age 54, it's tough getting
lower unless you spend some time every day lifting followed by cardio.

I can't deal with the monotony of gyms. My doctor was an army airborne
ranger. He said that by the time he was ready to jump, he was jogging with
his body weight on his back. He's 58, and suggested the current routine.
Wants to see me up to 75 lbs by December, 100 by January (in the pack), and
30 per in each hand. I'm gonna do it outdoors. 15-20 degree temps will be
interesting. 1/2 mile up two serious hills in under 10 minutes. Doesn't
sound like much until you see these hills.

The doctor looks like he's 18.

Old 22-09-2007, 06:07 AM posted to rec.boats,alt.autos.toyota,rec.gardens,alt.home.repair

On 2007-09-21 17:50:29 -0700, "JoeSpareBedroom" said:
The doctor looks like he's 18.

Reminds me of George Burns a few years before he died. On Carson's
show he was chastised about his cigar smoking. Johnny asked if his
doctors still got on his case about the things. Burns replied, "I
can't ask them anymore. They're all dead."

I had an uncle like that. Drank a 1.75L bottle of Early Times every two
days, smoked two packs of nonfilters (for those who recognize the brand,
Picayunes) a day. Every time I'd call him, I'd get, "Remember that doctor
who told me drinking and smoking was gonna kill me? He died. That was
number six." (or appropriately enumerated in the sequence)

--
If you really believe carbon dioxide causes global warming,
you should stop exhaling.

Old 22-09-2007, 01:08 PM posted to rec.boats,alt.autos.toyota,rec.gardens,alt.home.repair

"dbu`" wrote in message
In article ,

On 2007-09-21 16:45:50 -0700, "JoeSpareBedroom"

said:
[...]

Would you like a little advice?

I'm always interested in new ideas. Do you know someone who has some?

Old 22-09-2007, 01:11 PM posted to rec.boats,alt.autos.toyota,rec.gardens,alt.home.repair
BAR BAR is offline

On 2007-09-21 16:45:50 -0700, "JoeSpareBedroom"
said:
[...]

When I made my first jump it took $145 and 6 hours of class work. It was
a static-line jump but, I got a ram-air parachute that was steerable.

Sikorsky invented helicopters so that the troops would survive the
vertical entry to the battlefield.
Old 22-09-2007, 02:58 PM posted to rec.boats,alt.autos.toyota,rec.gardens,alt.home.repair

"dbu`" wrote in message
In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"dbu`" wrote in message
In article ,

On 2007-09-21 16:45:50 -0700, "JoeSpareBedroom"

said:
[...]

Did your doctor perform a heart evaluation? That weight hauling up a
hill and jogging or trying to walk fast at the same time for someone
that has not done it in a while is a recipe for cardiac arrest,
especially at your age, 40-something.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardiac_arrest.

Better take it easy at first and build up slow. Your legs aren't what
they were when you were twenty either so shin splints
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin_splints are also a possibility, very
painful.

If you want to lift weights, fine, I do a little lifting at home, but I
find it boring also, besides it does nothing for your most important
muscle, the heart. Walk, walk fast, start out with short walks if you
are not up to long ones, but do it every day, do it in the rain, snow,
do it when you don't want to. Before you know it you will be walking 4
to 5 miles a day and more. It's important to know how far and for how
long you are walking. I have a couple of routes I take and I use a stop
watch to measure the time I'm out and for how long I run. A good walk
lets you look around your neighborhood, maybe meet some new neighbors,
fresh air, when you get back home you'll feel like a million bucks. If
you are diciplined like me it will evolve into jogging, but I don't
recommend it for someone who has not walked for sometime and besides at
your age before doing any kind of strenuous exercuse you should have a
physical. Time? Don't have the time? Find the time, set it as a high
priority. Get yourself a pair of decent shoes. Forget about hauling
weights on your back and all that at least at the beginning. You
probably aren't in too bad a shape, but because of your age need to
build up gradually, sort of like starting over again.

Another alternative is biking. It is fun and another good way to get
the heart rate up, but you have to buy a bike and maintain it. If you
don't like piddling with bike maintenance then maybe that's not for you.

The body goes downhill faster the older you are if you don't keep it up.
It's like a car, if you let it go to hell it will.

Cardio's fine, per the doctor. This routine's primarily aimed at keeping me
tight through the winter. From April through October, my normal pastimes
keep me in shape. He once asked what I was doing to stay in shape. I said
"Some hiking, mostly gardening". He doubted the gardening, but most people
don't do it for 8 hours straight with a 4 minute break for lunch. I don't
sit down all weekend. I said "Come on over some weekend. Don't forget to
bring an ambulance." :-)

I enjoy biking, but I'll only do it at one or two protected paths which are
inconvenient for a daily routine. NY State allows people to drive cars even
if they are clinically dead or legally blind. Every day, I see at least 5
drivers who remind me of why I want metal all around me. Perhaps one day,
we'll be allowed to shoot such drivers. Until then, biking's out.

Old 22-09-2007, 03:34 PM posted to rec.boats,alt.autos.toyota,rec.gardens,alt.home.repair

On 9/22/07 8:11 AM, in article ,
"BAR" wrote:

On 2007-09-21 16:45:50 -0700, "JoeSpareBedroom"
said:
[...]

That's about what I spent BC (before children). Loved the experience and
would go again as soon as the kids are grown.

Sikorsky invented helicopters so that the troops would survive the
vertical entry to the battlefield.

Hadn't heard that before - wonder if DS, aka the history buff, knows that.

Old 22-09-2007, 10:42 PM posted to rec.boats,alt.autos.toyota,rec.gardens,alt.home.repair

"dbu`" wrote in message
In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"dbu`" wrote in message
In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"dbu`" wrote in message
In article ,

On 2007-09-21 16:45:50 -0700, "JoeSpareBedroom"

said:
[...]

I used to bike everyday after work, for miles, but I stopped because of
the traffic. Plus when biking there is a lot of coasting and you just
sit. For my money I like the walk/jog, for only the cost of a new pair
of shoes every three or four months. I still have my bikes in case I
have to go back to that due to bad knees or whatever.

Yeah - the walking's the best deal. And, I can add resistance in any number
of ways (backpack, ankle weights, barbells, hills).