Old 02-10-2007, 02:17 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.nature,rec.gardens,rec.birds,sci.misc

Default PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Poison Ivy

Everyone knows (or should know) what poison Ivy looks like.

But this one really took me by surprise....

js

Old 02-10-2007, 05:01 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.nature,rec.gardens,rec.birds,sci.misc

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 10/2/07 9:17 AM, in article , "Jack
Schmidling" wrote:

Everyone knows (or should know) what poison Ivy looks like.

But this one really took me by surprise....

js

Just found some in my perennial bed. I'm waiting until fall is truly here
(and after my parent's 50 anniversary party) to get the rubber gloves out.
After the last round and needing steroids to cure it, I'm taking no chances.

Denature the irritant on yourself and your tools with a moderately
strong alkali. Brown laundry soap (which contains some of the lye used
to make it) was once recommended, but it's hard to find and household
ammonia works much better. When I dealt with a large infestation last
year -- four trees had been overgrown with it for years -- I covered up
as completely as I could, then rinsed all exposed skin with ammonia when
done. I changed, bagged the clothes, rinsed again, and showered, I
washed the clothes when I got home after soaking them in ammonia. Nary a
blister.

Jerry
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Old 02-10-2007, 05:11 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.nature,rec.gardens,rec.birds,sci.misc

On 10/2/07 12:01 PM, in article ,
"Jerry Avins" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 10/2/07 9:17 AM, in article
, "Jack
Schmidling" wrote:

[...]

I basically got the PI in my blood stream and even though the initial
contact was only on my arm, it was erupting on my face and neck and a few
less comfortable spots. So for me it is rubber gloves, straight into a bag
with the lot (fortunately only a single vine) and a through wash for myself
and the clothes with the Rx soap. Not taking a single chance on repeat.

Old 02-10-2007, 06:16 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.nature,rec.gardens,rec.birds,sci.misc

On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 12:11:03 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

snip
I basically got the PI in my blood stream and even though the initial
contact was only on my arm, it was erupting on my face and neck and a few
less comfortable spots. So for me it is rubber gloves, straight into a bag
with the lot (fortunately only a single vine) and a through wash for myself
and the clothes with the Rx soap. Not taking a single chance on repeat.

I would just zap it with glyphosate and get the root for
sure too (shrug). Don't have to handle it that way. Let it
die back to the point that you can't tell what it was
anymore. By next spring it shouldn't be of any problem.

If you have desirables mixed in with it, hold something like
cardboard up by it as a backstop so the over spray doesn't
hit them.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Old 02-10-2007, 06:29 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.nature,rec.gardens,rec.birds,sci.misc
Ann Ann is offline

Jerry Avins expounded:

Denature the irritant on yourself and your tools with a moderately
strong alkali. Brown laundry soap (which contains some of the lye used
to make it) was once recommended, but it's hard to find and household

Fels Naptha soap is what you're referring to, and oldtime home
centers still carry it. It works well.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 02-10-2007, 06:32 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.nature,rec.gardens,rec.birds,sci.misc
Ann Ann is offline

Jack Schmidling expounded:

Everyone knows (or should know) what poison Ivy looks like.

But this one really took me by surprise....

js

I pull it and bag it to get rid of it. As long as I've got gloves on
I don't have a problem. A vine that big, however, is something I
wouldn't tangle with (pun intended G). I'd cut it off at the base,
paint the cut surfaces with Brush Be Gone, and then leave it to die
off. Even the dried leaves and branches can cause irritation, so
gloves and long sleeves are needed to clean up the dead parts the
following season.

Don't burn it! The oils will vaporize in the smoke, it can kill you
to inhale it!
Old 02-10-2007, 08:19 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.nature,rec.gardens,rec.birds,sci.misc

On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 13:35:38 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

snip
It is in the center of a large, expensive desirable. It a little vine, so I
should be able to get it all with plastic knife.
Cheryl

Then I would suggest marking the spot with a stake or
something and keep close watch for it growing back. I
suspect you may have to do this job more than once. Poison
Ivy is quite tenacious.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Old 02-10-2007, 11:30 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.nature,rec.gardens,rec.birds,sci.misc

eon Fisk wrote:
On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 12:11:03 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

snip
I basically got the PI in my blood stream and even though the initial
contact was only on my arm, it was erupting on my face and neck and a few
less comfortable spots. So for me it is rubber gloves, straight into a bag
with the lot (fortunately only a single vine) and a through wash for myself
and the clothes with the Rx soap. Not taking a single chance on repeat.

I would just zap it with glyphosate and get the root for
sure too (shrug). Don't have to handle it that way. Let it
die back to the point that you can't tell what it was
anymore. By next spring it shouldn't be of any problem.

If you have desirables mixed in with it, hold something like
cardboard up by it as a backstop so the over spray doesn't
hit them.

How do you spray it when it's growing up a tree?

Jerry
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Old 02-10-2007, 11:31 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.nature,rec.gardens,rec.birds,sci.misc

Ann wrote:
Jerry Avins expounded:

Denature the irritant on yourself and your tools with a moderately
strong alkali. Brown laundry soap (which contains some of the lye used
to make it) was once recommended, but it's hard to find and household

Fels Naptha soap is what you're referring to, and oldtime home
centers still carry it. It works well.

Octagon, too. I use ammonia because it works even better. Diluted oven
cleaner works well too.

Jerry
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Old 03-10-2007, 06:31 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.nature,rec.gardens,rec.birds,sci.misc

On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 18:30:22 -0400, Jerry Avins
wrote:

eon Fisk wrote:

snip
I would just zap it with glyphosate and get the root for
sure too (shrug). Don't have to handle it that way. Let it
die back to the point that you can't tell what it was
anymore. By next spring it shouldn't be of any problem.

If you have desirables mixed in with it, hold something like
cardboard up by it as a backstop so the over spray doesn't
hit them.

How do you spray it when it's growing up a tree?

Jerry

That takes a two stage approach. I would cut the vine off a
few feet above the ground and wait maybe a year. Then spray
the new growth good that you can easily reach. Keep a close
eye on it and hit anymore new growth if the first dose
doesn't do it in.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

[IMG] code is On

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Mystery Photo Jack Schmidling[_1_] Gardening 9 21-03-2007 06:15 PM
Poison Ivy -- Getting Rid of It Chip G. Lawns 20 17-05-2003 03:20 PM
Poison Ivy -- Getting Rid of It Chip G. Gardening 21 17-05-2003 03:20 PM