Old 23-10-2007, 03:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Fleas... I'm a magnet.

Ok, so fleas and mosquitoes love me. I'm not sure why, it could be a
body chemistry thing or a slightly higher body temp. All I know is that
my wife and I can be standing in the same room... Her, they do not touch
but me, they devourer.

At any rate, beyond chemical sprays or whatnot is there a botanical
method that can be done in the yard to stop them, or slow them, before
they get to the house?

Know people say mint will deter ants, which I'll be planting around the
house for the simple reason that I like it in tea if anything else..
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with fleas.

Problem area is not in the main house, but in the basement. We've got a
cat door to the basement which we close the cats up in at night to keep
them from wandering around. Their litter boxes are also located down there.

Now, I'd say sure, they're living on the cats but this is not the case.
I'd sprayed them down with Frontline's spray and there are no fleas on
them.

I'll be picking up some glue traps as well. You know, those ones with
the night light above them? I'd used them in the past with much success
so I'm hoping that it will solve the problem inside. But keeping them at
bay outside is another question.

Looking forward to your thoughts..

Scott--
Old 23-10-2007, 04:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Scott Hildenbrand wrote:

[...]

A shallow bowl of water with a few drops of cooking oil will work.
Just add a night light above it. Ground fault might be a good idea !

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Lives...5-01/Natural-F
lea-Control.aspx

or

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2hsmw3

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Old 23-10-2007, 04:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

William Wagner wrote:
In article ,
Scott Hildenbrand wrote:

[...]

Down side on that will be that the cats will end up drinking it.. Unless
I put it in a closed create. They're very resourceful.
Old 23-10-2007, 04:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

William Wagner wrote in

pernews.net:

A shallow bowl of water with a few drops of cooking oil
will work.
Just add a night light above it. Ground fault might be a
good idea !

i used dish soap in the water when i got a flea infestation from
sitting my brother's dog... you just need something to break the
surface tension of the water & soapy water is easier to clean up
after than oily water if you spill any.
i also had pretty good luck treating rugs & soft furniture with
baking soda to help dry up the eggs & larvae (which feed on dust
& have a 5-10 day hatch cycle depending on weather. vacuum a lot
& make sure to empty the bag into a sealed bag outside. or burn
it. or put 1" pieces of flea collar into the bags. do NOT put
them on the animals!).
now i keep the cats & dogs on Advantage/Frontline...
lee
Old 23-10-2007, 04:56 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Scott Hildenbrand expounded:

Looking forward to your thoughts..

My house used to be infested with fleas. I used a powder on my rugs
and hardwood floors that eliminated them completely - after fighting
them for quite a few years with bombs, etc. This link is to a product
somewhat like what I used, I can't remember the name of the one that
worked here, but the ingredients are the same.

http://www.pestproducts.com/fleapowder.htm

I know they say on this (very poorly formatted) page that you
shouldn't use regular borax, but I've read on other forums that 20
Mule Team Borax has the same effect.

Good luck, I don't envy you - getting rid of fleas is very tough to
do!
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Old 23-10-2007, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Scott Hildenbrand wrote:

At any rate, beyond chemical sprays or whatnot is there a botanical
method that can be done in the yard to stop them, or slow them, before
they get to the house?

Would you settle for beneficial nematodes outdoors?
http://www.biconet.com/biocontrol/nemas.html
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2081.html
http://www.vetmed.iastate.edu/animal...l_health/derma
tology/pages/natural.html
These, however, will not work in drought conditions.

Since you have cats, do not use linalool,citronella, etc.

Now, I'd say sure, they're living on the cats but this is not the case.
I'd sprayed them down with Frontline's spray and there are no fleas on
them.

Many fleas spend a good deal of time off the host, so topspotting with
something like Advantage is useful. So would spraying one of the insect
growth regulators inside -- my current preference is for nylar -- excellent
safety profile in humans and animals other than insects, keeps baby fleas
at the juvenile (non-biting)stage but does not kill them. Mix the concentrate
in water and apply with a garden sprayer twice a year.

Many home control products are an IGR with a pesticide for immediate
knockdown -- I prefer to apply the IGR alone on a regular basis and simply
wait out the couple of weeks or so before you start seeing the benefit
if you don't use an IGR regularly. Nylar can be used outdoors, but
I prefer to keep it in, as it's fairly broad spectrum in the insects
it hits. http://www.pestproducts.com/archer.htm

Kay

Old 24-10-2007, 12:37 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Kay Lancaster expounded:

http://www.pestproducts.com/archer.htm

This is the same outfit I got the info on the borate treatment. Here
is their complete flea control page

http://www.pestproducts.com/fleas.htm

I'd still give that borate powder a try, it definitely worked here.
Now that I see the bottle on the page for Fleastoppers I see that it
is the same product I used.

Old 24-10-2007, 01:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Scott Hildenbrand wrote:

Hmmmm....

Ok, so fleas and mosquitoes love me. I'm not sure why, it could be a
body chemistry thing or a slightly higher body temp. All I know is that
my wife and I can be standing in the same room... Her, they do not touch
but me, they devourer.

A friend used to joke with me and say "fleas and mosquitoes are
attracted to female hormones". So I quit saying that those pesky bugs
were biting and just used a product by "Cutter - botanicals" for the
body. It works - if you do not have any allergic reactions to the
botanicals products. If you have allergies, the standard bad guy "DEET'
like in "OFF" might be better.

At any rate, beyond chemical sprays or whatnot is there a botanical
method that can be done in the yard to stop them, or slow them, before
they get to the house?

I have sprayed my yard near the house with that "Cutter - botanicals"
for the yard. It states as a repellent not a bug killer. Read all labels
first, just in case I am wrong. Again I have no allergies, if some one
does have such allergic reactions, they may have problems, I never did.

Know people say mint will deter ants, which I'll be planting around the
house for the simple reason that I like it in tea if anything else..
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with fleas.

Nooooo, Mint is a stinking miserable WEED in my book. I planted just one
about 6 years ago, three years later it was all over my yard and garden.
It took years more to wipe out that cursed plant.

Problem area is not in the main house, but in the basement. We've got a
cat door to the basement which we close the cats up in at night to keep
them from wandering around. Their litter boxes are also located down there.

I have dog door for my little Yorkie. When I first got him I was also
concerned about putting chemicals on little Mickey. However, that
quickly changed when I saw ticks in his doggie bed. Hail Frontline, it
works, no bugs at all on the dog or in the house. Lyme or west nile is
probably worse than the chemicals. Little Mickey seems to be just fine.
If I have read things correctly, The Bug stuff for pets goes like this.
Advantage kills more bugs. Frontline last longer. Your choice or bugs.

Now, I'd say sure, they're living on the cats but this is not the case.
I'd sprayed them down with Frontline's spray and there are no fleas on
them.
I'll be picking up some glue traps as well. You know, those ones with
the night light above them? I'd used them in the past with much success
so I'm hoping that it will solve the problem inside. But keeping them at
bay outside is another question.

I use fly tape in the garage. When it gets dark, I just turn off all
outside and most inside lights and close the shades and curtains. I have
found, like most people, lights attract bugs.

Sounds like you have a walk in basement. Do you have a dehumidifier?
Dryer areas might have fewer bug problems than damp areas. If you have
house plants down there - that could also help breed the bugs. Spray the
plants. Old broken floor drain tiles could also be a source for bugs.

Looking forward to your thoughts..

Scott--

Those are my thoughts .... Enjoy Life ...... Dan

--
Email "dan lehr at comcast dot net". Text only or goes to trash automatically.
Old 24-10-2007, 04:01 AM posted to rec.gardens
Jim Jim is offline

Scott Hildenbrand wrote:

[...]

about every 5 weeks the three cats and the one dog get
treated with FrontLine. the stuff works well and it
don't make the cats sick.

for me, when I go to the pond or out where the mosquitoes
are thick I use a mixture of water and Avon Skin So Soft
Bath Oil. get one of those little pint bottles with a pump
spray mister. fill it half full of water and then add about
6 to 10 drops of the Avon Skin So Soft Bath Oil. I mist
myself and the insects will leave me alone.
Old 24-10-2007, 05:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Jim wrote:

Scott Hildenbrand wrote:

[...]

Have you considered putting a layer of vegetable oil on the pond?
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Get up, stand up, stand up for your rights.
Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.
- Bob Marley
Old 24-10-2007, 10:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 19:37:33 -0400, Ann wrote:
Kay Lancaster expounded:

http://www.pestproducts.com/archer.htm

This is the same outfit I got the info on the borate treatment. Here
is their complete flea control page

I don't like using borates for flea control for several reasons:
1) it's a pretty good respiratory irritant
2) it's toxic to most plants (the reason it works for creeping charlie
control is that charlie is a bit more sensitive than the usual cool-season
grasses)
3) there are indications that low
doses of borates decrease sperm counts in humans (and therefore probably
have some other reproductive effects in other mammals)
4) it's stable stuff... it does not biodegrade, photodegrade or change in
any way except by chemical reaction. And the products would also be toxic.

On the whole, I feel IGRs are much more palatable for flea control than
borates. And I say that as a trained biologist and botanist.

Kay

Old 24-10-2007, 12:32 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Lar expounded:

If the idea of
it's use is because it is a natural product it can work but takes time
if used alone.

I used it as a last resort - and it worked, ending the flea
infestation that had started long before I bought the house.

As for toxic, I think the many flea bombs and exterminator chemicals
that were used here were far worse than the borate treatment.

I have been in numerous homes over the years months after
the BA treatment and the biggest complaint is all the dust that is
constantly stirred up and has to be wiped off tables/counter/ etc so I
would not feel too comfortable breathing the stuff over time.

Then they didn't use it properly. I had no such issues and got the
results I wanted.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
e-mail address is not checked

[IMG] code is On

Fw: summer pests -- Chiggers, Fleas, Chinch bugs James Lee Johnson Texas 1 29-07-2006 05:37 AM
Killing fleas BW Lawns 3 19-05-2005 01:55 AM
Non chemical warfare on fleas? Perry Templeton Gardening 13 28-04-2004 01:02 AM
Somewhat OT/ Fleas in the yard jammer Gardening 1 04-07-2003 04:44 AM
ticks and fleas ratSenoL Texas 1 17-06-2003 07:43 PM