Old 29-10-2007, 06:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Rhubarb OK to eat in autumn?

Because my rhubarb plant had the nerve to try and shade the oregano, I've
been cutting off its older, larger leaves all summer. I offered some to a
neighbor yesterday, but she wondered if it was OK to use the stalks at this
time of year (for baking). I had no idea. Anyone know?

Old 29-10-2007, 07:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

Because my rhubarb plant had the nerve to try and shade the oregano, I've
been cutting off its older, larger leaves all summer. I offered some to a
neighbor yesterday, but she wondered if it was OK to use the stalks at this
time of year (for baking). I had no idea. Anyone know?

I don't see why not. Still it was of those strange plants where the
leaves are toxic. Sounds like nightshade plants in a way that we love.

Bill

note this may matter

" the amount of oxalic acid is much lower, especially when harvested
before mid-June (in the northern hemisphere), but it is still enough to
cause slightly rough teeth.[citation needed]"

From below

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhubarb#Toxic_effects

Toxic effects

Rhubarb

Rhubarb flower.
Rhubarb leaves contain poisonous substances. Rhubarb leaves contain
oxalic acid, a corrosive and nephrotoxic acid that is present in many
plants. The LD50 (median lethal dose) for pure oxalic acid is predicted
to be about 375 mg/kg body weight,[citation needed] or about 25 g for a
65 kg (~140 lb) human. While the oxalic acid content of rhubarb leaves
can vary, a typical value is about 0.5%,[5] so a rather unlikely five
kilograms of the extremely sour leaves would have to be consumed to
reach an LD50 dose of oxalic acid. However, the leaves are believed to
also contain an additional, unidentified toxin.[6] In the petioles, the
amount of oxalic acid is much lower, especially when harvested before
mid-June (in the northern hemisphere), but it is still enough to cause
slightly rough teeth.[citation needed]
The roots and stems are rich in anthraquinones, such as emodin and
rhein. These substances are cathartic and laxative, which explains the
sporadic abuse of Rhubarb as a slimming agent. Anthraquinones are yellow
or orange and may colour the urine.[citation needed]

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

"The destiny of nations depends on how we feed ourselves."
Brillat-Savarin

Old 29-10-2007, 08:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
:

Because my rhubarb plant had the nerve to try and shade the
oregano, I've been cutting off its older, larger leaves all
summer. I offered some to a neighbor yesterday, but she
wondered if it was OK to use the stalks at this time of
year (for baking). I had no idea. Anyone know?

i'll take them!
if you keep rhubarb watered they keep producing. old stalks
can be woody & icky, but if you've been whacking them back so
the stalks aren't too old, they should be fine.
lee
Old 29-10-2007, 10:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 10/29/2007 10:52 AM, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
Because my rhubarb plant had the nerve to try and shade the oregano, I've
been cutting off its older, larger leaves all summer. I offered some to a
neighbor yesterday, but she wondered if it was OK to use the stalks at this
time of year (for baking). I had no idea. Anyone know?

Raw rhubarb is quite toxic. Cooked stalks are quite delicious.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 29-10-2007, 11:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

"David E. Ross" wrote in message
On 10/29/2007 10:52 AM, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
Because my rhubarb plant had the nerve to try and shade the oregano, I've
been cutting off its older, larger leaves all summer. I offered some to a
neighbor yesterday, but she wondered if it was OK to use the stalks at
this
time of year (for baking). I had no idea. Anyone know?

Raw rhubarb is quite toxic. Cooked stalks are quite delicious.
David E. Ross

No kidding?

That response has absolutely nothing to do with the question I asked.

Old 30-10-2007, 01:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Carolyn LeCrone" wrote:

Who would eat it uncooked?
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"David E. Ross" wrote in message
On 10/29/2007 10:52 AM, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
Because my rhubarb plant had the nerve to try and shade the oregano,
I've
been cutting off its older, larger leaves all summer. I offered some to
neighbor yesterday, but she wondered if it was OK to use the stalks at
this
time of year (for baking). I had no idea. Anyone know?

Raw rhubarb is quite toxic. Cooked stalks are quite delicious.
David E. Ross

No kidding?

That response has absolutely nothing to do with the question I asked.

Good solid stalks? I would. They are very efficacious.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Get up, stand up, stand up for your rights.
Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.
- Bob Marley
Old 30-10-2007, 02:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
Because my rhubarb plant had the nerve to try and shade the oregano, I've
been cutting off its older, larger leaves all summer. I offered some to a
neighbor yesterday, but she wondered if it was OK to use the stalks at this
time of year (for baking). I had no idea. Anyone know?

We eat it often at any season and never take harm.

David

Old 30-10-2007, 02:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

"David E. Ross" wrote in message

Raw rhubarb is quite toxic. Cooked stalks are quite delicious.

--

I presume that you mean the stems not the leaves. I haven't heard this
before, what poison is in it that is removed by cooking? Do you have any

This ref is fairly comprehensive but doesn't mention it.

http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/rhubarb-poison.html#TOC82

David

Old 30-10-2007, 02:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

[...]

Perhaps the unpleasant, but minor effects of the oxalic acid are enough to
convince people that eating too much wouldn't be such a great idea. Sort of
like the stink added to propane as a warning.

Old 30-10-2007, 02:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

[...]

(and who eats the leaves anyway?)

Old 30-10-2007, 03:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

[...]

Oxalic acid is often added to bread to keep it from moulding.

Old 30-10-2007, 11:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
:

[...]

my goats, if they get into the garden. they also will nibble
on rhododendron. they're stupid!
i have a very large rhododendron out by my pasture gate & the
road. i never thought much about it because the livestock
couldn't reach it from the pasture... there's a summer camp
across the street from my place (on the pasture end of the
property). one weekend the cityfolk cammpers decided they
wanted to see my llamas closer, so they picked rhododendron
leaves & fed one of the llamas over the gate. she died. i was
****ed, but i couldn't 'prove' who did it. at any rate we
built a new electric fenceline 4 feet in, with an electric
spring coil gate so no one can get close enough to poison the
livestock again.
and rhubarb stalks are fine to eat as long as they aren't
woody. they'll produce all summer if you keep them watered
(slightly shaded helps too). i eat raw rhubarb all the time
when i'm out in the garden in the spring (i need to run a
dripline to my row so it produces past the end of June). i've
been eating raw rhubarb for 50 years, not a lot at a time
because it's sour, but it's not poisonous, only the leaves
are.
lee
Old 31-10-2007, 02:04 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSpareBedroom View Post
Because my rhubarb plant had the nerve to try and shade the oregano, I've
been cutting off its older, larger leaves all summer. I offered some to a
neighbor yesterday, but she wondered if it was OK to use the stalks at this
time of year (for baking). I had no idea. Anyone know?
We eat at home all the time, all year round, shouldnt be a problem if you get sick or unwell, dont blame me though hehe.

Alan
__________________
www.gardenguide-uk.co.uk - free gardening articles and resources
Old 02-11-2007, 02:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
. com...
as kids we would take the sugar bowl out into the garden, pull rhubarb,
twist off the
leaf and eat the stems raw just dipped in the sugar. they arent toxic.
quite sour,
tho. Ingrid

Sounds pretty tasty at the moment for some reason.