Old 21-11-2007, 05:36 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Plant ID Plz - 2 Kinds

Hettie® wrote:

Scott Hildenbrand wrote:
Hettie® wrote:

Scott Hildenbrand wrote:

Well with a little work I'm sure I can get rocks to trail. In fact
if I'm bored one day I just might do that to see how it looks..

Know the overloaded feeling.. Since we moved and have so much more
space now, all kinds of things are popping into my head that I'd
like to try.

Yes, it isn't so much fun when you are tired and have other heavy
chores to get done before the snow flies. For me, even smaller jobs
are a heck of a lot of work. Grass coming up through chicken wire
isn't such a big deal, but after all I went through planting over 200
bulbs, trying to do it right, reading up on how to keep tulips going,
my heart just sank.

Instead of tilling the sod under, cut it out and remove it.. That's
the best way to make sure the grass doesn't come back.. But then, that
depends on the grass, if it's bunch growing or if it spreads via runner.

That's what I should have done even though it was mostly brown from
being covered, stuff is stubborn. I recycle my potting mixture into
compost and found some garlic chives that have gone months without
water, stuck them on top of some soil, put in east window, watered them,
and they took off again.

Plants are wonderful things.. So full of life when you least expect it..
Also makes them a pain in the rear at times..

I'm going to build a loooong one for the front window here, plus
shutters.. Thing that I'd noticed with planter flower is that it's
best to pick things which don't require hardly any care, especially
those in harsh sun.

My son was going to do that for some pretty iron grill facing south
relected against light tan stucco. Like it will be hot up there. I
asked for suggestions for suitable plants for him. I remember
angelonia? & sweet potato vine, things that don't need constant
watering, trail, etc., might be able to find that again.

That sounds really pretty, a long window box and shutters. Maybe you
can rig up a drip system with clear plastic tubing?

He do welding? I'd always wanted to mess around with that but never
started.. I play with wood.. Brother plays with metal.. I've got alot of
left over cedar and poplar from the fence so was going to plane it
smooth and use it.

Window's actually right over the outside water spigot for the front of
the house, so easy to get to and water as I walk by.. However I am
thinking of moving to a drip system, but only after I get the well
working again. Want to use it for irrigation exclusively.

Sounds like too much sun to me.. What I have, I didn't watter at all
since we'd moved besides during the drought. It thrived in its shady
location.

Yes, too much sun. It can tolerate a certain amount of drought. Mine
drooped when I was slow to water the rooted ones inside, they snapped
right back. They were happy in the east window dining room windows,
sunroom was too sunny and hot for them but not as bad as outside.

We had a small yard, which I'd have done more with... Well, but the
house was her ex's which carried a stigma to it.. I found it hard to
take pride in anything I did to it. Odd, huh?

No. You need to start fresh. Usually enough baggage as it is. I wish
you well.

Thanks.. We've certainly enjoyed the house since we've moved.. Have
so much to do though.. Ooohh.. Picked up a killer copper sink on eBay
for the bathroom vanity, which is an old furniture piece with an
attached mirror I'm turning into a vanity..

Hmm.. so many things to do... Ugh..

Anyway, I could have done much more to it..

I'm not good at planning, better once it's in, oh I should have . . .

Never messed with redbuds.. Or trees from seedlings for that matter..
Why do you think in the house would be "too warm"? I'd think too cold
would be the issue at hand. But then, don't know much about those.

I never grew trees from seeds before but some people told me to rub them
with sandpaper. It worked great. Eastern redbuds are more northern,
and I would think they would prefer a simulated northern environment
from the git go, hot and cold cycles. I could bring them into the
house, easier to monitor them for the first winter. I kept rose
cuttings in the sunroom last winter, now they will have to tough it out
their first winter outside, thought I was disrupting their natural cycle
by doing that but justified that the roses I buy from Texas that are
hardy in my zone have been bred in milder temps and have to adapt
anyway. I think redbuds are tough. I could get some cheap on ebay from
somebody across the river for gosh sakes, but I wanted the fun of
watching them grow.

True.. That is the fun part... I did try to sprout some dawn redwoods
before from the neighbors but had awful luck with that..

Going to see if I can mail some starts next season. I'll end up
posting to the list to see if anyone wants any.. Have a surplus ATM,
but it's dying back for winter.

I've never been real keen on coleus but have seen it used effectively.
This was my neighbor's, he's young and busy, and I hoped I could have a
couple for myself and give him the rest back for next year. I don't
have a spot for them anyway. I don't have a spot for 24 redbuds either.
We have a boulevard, and if I get them far enough along, I will see if
I can fill in where they have cut some trees from a neighborhood project
years ago. Then I got to thinking smallish trees might branch out too
much over the street. My daughter wants a couple. I can find spots for
about two. I have a farm, but I tried to plant trees there before and I
can't drive 50 miles to water, weed, and mulch. Well, I could, but you
know how it goes.

If I really get roses and lilies and other things going strong, I am
going to have to think about the farm. I even looked at some cheap city
lots in rundown neighborhoods, but think I'd be taking on too much. If
weeds get out of control on the farm, nobody gets on my case. Not so
the city.

True, but if it becomes a community project, alot of free help to come
in and care for it..

I'm licking my wounds. A lady gave me six cuttings of a gorgeous repeat
rose, very doube and deep pink/cerise, and they all died (I'm guessing I
had them too tall and medium too wet for how I am doing this batch. I
took two of one I didn't particularly like as well, mostly because it
was a rose with unusual foliage, at least two more sets of leaves and
deeply veined, lush grayish green. One I look at today and large roots
growing through the holes, so I potted that one up, didn't think that
mess of dry leaves had a snowball's chance in you know what of rooting.
Her bushes were languishing, and I begged for cuttings before she
whacked them because I needed ones with leaves so I thought. Then I
thought too late to ask her for all she whacked off the two ones I liked
the best (same rose), hoping to revitalize them. So I'm SOL on those,
and I don't know if she will give me any more for a long time. I'm
getting older, I may not have a long time.

Hmmmm.. Sounds like a bit of trouble... Though, no offense, I'm not a
fan of roses.. I can admire them however.. Just not in my yard..

Actually care is one of the reasons why I'd always stayed away from
them.. The other is thorns..

I guess you have to roll with the punches. I didn't expect so many
failures and setbacks with all my planning. I didn't want to spray my
roses, and they got hit with almost everything, and didn't factor in
trees which were leafless when I planned it out. Duh. The two in front
that get the most sun are doing the best, rest look awful and ravaged,
expensive Austin roses. At least I'm learning a lot from it, my
mistakes included.

True... So long as you learn, it's all good.. I'd been having a blast
with our lilies, though I had made mistakes with them.

I kind of envy you having all that room, but I'd better just be thankful
I have what I do. I could grow more if I cut down some trees, no have
to work around the trees for now.

You can envy me for my space, which is only a bit over an acre, don't
envy too much.. And I'll envy you for your farm..

I LOVE lilacs, have just one common purple one, would like at least six.
Sorry I made this too long. I get so enthused just thinking about some
of it.

Rather love lilacs, too, as well as a pile of other things.. Will keep
me busy for years to come. And not a problem, been fun reading and
chatting.
Old 21-11-2007, 10:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

Scott Hildenbrand wrote:

He do welding? I'd always wanted to mess around with that but never
started.. I play with wood.. Brother plays with metal.. I've got alot of
left over cedar and poplar from the fence so was going to plane it
smooth and use it.

No, I wanted to sign up for MIG welding, wish he's do something like
that, too busy with his job which is demanding. Anyway, he had them
custom made from a local iron works. They are good. Expensive but not
like places you see on the net. I had 2 porch rails and six step
spanner handrail made by the same people. Now that it is done, people
can see the difference in quality, so it was worth it. I don't feel up
to welding right now after a very demanding summer. Shucky darn, can't
do everything.

Thanks.. We've certainly enjoyed the house since we've moved.. Have
so much to do though.. Ooohh.. Picked up a killer copper sink on eBay
for the bathroom vanity, which is an old furniture piece with an
attached mirror I'm turning into a vanity..

Sounds neat. Nice find, won't tell you all the stuff I bought from
there, got a beautiful old dresser to go with my iron bed I had
refurbished, oh the iron company did the bed for me, too. I love
antiques. Was in a new neighbor's home the other night, newly married,
nicest couple, and she had the most beautiful old church pew I have ever
seen.

True.. That is the fun part... I did try to sprout some dawn redwoods
before from the neighbors but had awful luck with that..

Maybe you need to try the sandpaper trick. 20 rubs, not too harsh but
medium sandpaper. Planted 40, about 27 germinated, so I transplanted.
I started them in McDonald's salad trays w/clear tops with holes punched
in the bottom w/exacto knife. For medium, I used 1/2 quality potting
soil and 1/2 peat, set them in the shade until they germinated. I
always thought transplanting those little seedlings was too risky for
me, but so many of them are marvelously resilient it you handle them
gently, dig under them with a plastic knife end, etc. Amazing some no
losees, some just a couple. Then the redbuds went into plastic cups
w/holes set in sterlite odd containers w/holes in the side, then finally
had to get them in the pepsi bottles.

True, but if it becomes a community project, alot of free help to come
in and care for it..

That's a point, would call the city forresters first. I just may buy 50
daff bulbs and plant them next year, why not?

Hmmmm.. Sounds like a bit of trouble... Though, no offense, I'm not a
fan of roses.. I can admire them however.. Just not in my yard..

Actually care is one of the reasons why I'd always stayed away from
them.. The other is thorns..

No I'm not offended at all. They are a royal pain. Until I found out I
could actually finally HAVE some Austins and discovered the heirloom
ones, I didn't have any for years. I get stuck a lot, goes with the
territory. You get used to it for a labor of love. Now I've made it my
raison d'etre to find as many old roses and root as many as I can. It
started one beautiful day in late May when I spotted some (didn't know
what kind they were then) Harison's (one r) yellow rose. Thorns on
those don't come any worse. My mouth dropped open, I was new into
photography and took beaucoup photos, made friends with the lady, she
gave me 7 suckers, only one has hung on where I transplanted it.

The problem with roses is making them fit seamlessly into the landscape
rounded out with perennials, haven't hit my stride on that yet, may never.

True... So long as you learn, it's all good.. I'd been having a blast
with our lilies, though I had made mistakes with them.

I'm getting really excited about lilies, discovered oldhousegardens,
Brent & Becky's, Gilbert G. Wild in MO, got a bunch of those going, too.
Plant deep, liquid fence is my friend. They are much easier than
roses until it comes time to divide them which I haven't had to do yet.
I may scrap most of the roses in front and switch to more lilies and
iris & odd and sundry.

You can envy me for my space, which is only a bit over an acre, don't
envy too much.. And I'll envy you for your farm..

The farm is a mixed blessing. I wanted to live on it, too citified and
and no man (not whining about that) but out there alone, I'd be a
problem to the neighbors who might feel obligated to look after me which
I wouldn't like, but I am NOT self sufficient much as I would have liked
to be. My kids wanted no part in it until they got boyfriends, etc.
Yeah, like I wanted the one to be growing pot behind the barn. I don't
think so. So we have other arrangements, working well for now. To make
it what I wanted would simply cost too much money. My sis and I share
half of two farms. They've been rentals for so long they are run down
and all the newer buildlings are utilitarian ugly. We have kept the
houses up though. The farm women used to have lots of flowers. Now
they have to drive tractors and help their husbands.

Rather love lilacs, too, as well as a pile of other things.. Will keep
me busy for years to come. And not a problem, been fun reading and
chatting.

Good. I have other interests, too, and sorry I chatted so much. We can
pick it up after Thanksgiving on another thread perhaps. I've got to
switch gears here anyway for a few days, Friday I have to get my 3 hoses
in and a couple other chores, can't wait to fight with those snakes.

Good luck with your "estate" there. You can make it beautiful. You
know, I read about a gal that got her lilies dividing and blooming in
pots, sold 800 out of the back of her pickup. Don't know how much she
netted, maybe it was $800 she made from them, then she lost the mother
lily and was trying to find a replacement. Must have been an unusual
and pretty one.

That's enough. You needn't answer. We can pick it up again later, but
I enjoyed chatting with you.