Old 19-11-2007, 08:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Plant ID Plz - 2 Kinds

Was inspired to search around for hanging basket plants from another
post and wanted to get an ID on the following.

http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com/...ging-plant.jpg

and

http://www.andyandfrank.com/74%20han...ts%20&%20f.JPG

Thanks in advance!
Old 19-11-2007, 09:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

Page hangs at "Waiting for www.mooseyscountrygarden.com".

and

http://www.andyandfrank.com/74%20han...ts%20&%20f.JPG

Either Petunia or Callibrachoa. Sorry, can't get a better grasp of the size
of the blooms (and, either makes a great basket).

--

Eggs

If you can read this, you've just wasted your time on reading the sentence
'If you read this, you've just wasted your time on reading the sentence' -
Twice!
Old 19-11-2007, 10:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

Eggs Zachtly wrote:
Scott Hildenbrand said:

Was inspired to search around for hanging basket plants from another
post and wanted to get an ID on the following.

http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com/...ging-plant.jpg

Page hangs at "Waiting for www.mooseyscountrygarden.com".

Hanging page does not ID plants on it... That's why I asked..

http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com/...re-london.html

and

http://www.andyandfrank.com/74%20han...ts%20&%20f.JPG

Either Petunia or Callibrachoa. Sorry, can't get a better grasp of the size
of the blooms (and, either makes a great basket).

Thanks..
Old 19-11-2007, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Scott Hildenbrand said:

Eggs Zachtly wrote:
Scott Hildenbrand said:

Was inspired to search around for hanging basket plants from another
post and wanted to get an ID on the following.

http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com/...ging-plant.jpg

Page hangs at "Waiting for www.mooseyscountrygarden.com".

Hanging page does not ID plants on it... That's why I asked..

http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com/...re-london.html

No idea. Sorry. =/

--

Eggs

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not sure.
Old 20-11-2007, 12:48 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 14:10:45 -0600, Scott Hildenbrand
wrote:

Was inspired to search around for hanging basket plants from another
post and wanted to get an ID on the following.

http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com/...ging-plant.jpg

and

http://www.andyandfrank.com/74%20han...ts%20&%20f.JPG

Thanks in advance!

I may be way wrong, but it looks like an iceplant to me. I haven't
seen one grown as a hanging basket plant, but I don't know why it
couldn't be done.

Old 20-11-2007, 01:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 11/19/2007 12:10 PM, Scott Hildenbrand wrote:
Was inspired to search around for hanging basket plants from another
post and wanted to get an ID on the following.

http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com/...ging-plant.jpg

and

http://www.andyandfrank.com/74%20han...ts%20&%20f.JPG

Thanks in advance!

As Charles indicated, the plant in mooseyscountrygarden appears to be an
iceplant, possibly Delosperma cooperi or Lampranthus spectabilis.

The flowers in andyandfrank look like cup flowers, Nierembergia
caerulea. However, the photo is not really close enough to be sure.
Nierembergia has a very fine, ferny leaf; I think I see leaves that are
too large in the photo. These might instead be a form of morning glory,
either Convolvulus tricolor or Ipomoea tricolor (the later reseeding
freely and becoming an invasive pest in the right climate).

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 20-11-2007, 03:40 AM posted to rec.gardens

Scott Hildenbrand wrote:
Was inspired to search around for hanging basket plants from another
post and wanted to get an ID on the following.

http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com/...ging-plant.jpg

and

http://www.andyandfrank.com/74%20han...ts%20&%20f.JPG

Thanks in advance!

Those are so pretty. That open air place with the hanging plants looks
so nice. I suppose you have to use a long wand to water them. They
have petunias in hanging planters downtown all over, and I was wondering
how they kept them looking so nice & how they water them. They never
seem to get ratty leaves, and I noticed one place near here has some
beautiful purple-veined ones that trail over a wall. They bloomed all
summer and never got ratty looking.

My petunias in a pot were pretty, then the leaves got so ratty looking
even though I cut them back and they kept blooming in spite of it.

I thought those ones could be million bells petunias, but I think the
other poster was probably correct that they are some small type of
morning glory. I might try some ice plant if that is what the first
picture is. I like it and the way it trails.

Old 20-11-2007, 04:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

Hettie® wrote:

Scott Hildenbrand wrote:
[...]

From the looks of it and after checking a pile of sites to verify, it
does seem to be an ice plant which more often than not is used as ground
cover.

Reminds me of my star stonecrop which I grow in a pot.. Looks great
trailing down the edge of the pot.
Old 20-11-2007, 04:39 AM posted to rec.gardens

Scott Hildenbrand wrote:

From the looks of it and after checking a pile of sites to verify, it
does seem to be an ice plant which more often than not is used as ground
cover.

I *think* I saw some seeds for ice plant in T&M catalog, will have to
check the specifics on that. Here I thought it might be some exotic
strain of trailing portulaca :-)

Reminds me of my star stonecrop which I grow in a pot.. Looks great
trailing down the edge of the pot.

Star stonecrop? I've never heard of that.

Old 20-11-2007, 05:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

Hettie® wrote:

Scott Hildenbrand wrote:

From the looks of it and after checking a pile of sites to verify, it
does seem to be an ice plant which more often than not is used as
ground cover.

I *think* I saw some seeds for ice plant in T&M catalog, will have to
check the specifics on that. Here I thought it might be some exotic
strain of trailing portulaca :-)

Reminds me of my star stonecrop which I grow in a pot.. Looks great
trailing down the edge of the pot.

Star stonecrop? I've never heard of that.

Whoops.. Star Sedum, aka Stringy Stonecrop.. See, this is why it's best
to use proper names.. (goes to find out proper name)

Sedum sarmentosum

Doesn't flower long though and it's tiny. But does look good hanging,
just not much height mass.

Old 20-11-2007, 02:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

Scott Hildenbrand wrote:
Hettie® wrote:

Scott Hildenbrand wrote:

From the looks of it and after checking a pile of sites to verify,
it does seem to be an ice plant which more often than not is used as
ground cover.

I *think* I saw some seeds for ice plant in T&M catalog, will have to
check the specifics on that. Here I thought it might be some exotic
strain of trailing portulaca :-)

Reminds me of my star stonecrop which I grow in a pot.. Looks great
trailing down the edge of the pot.

Star stonecrop? I've never heard of that.

Whoops.. Star Sedum, aka Stringy Stonecrop.. See, this is why it's best
to use proper names.. (goes to find out proper name)

Sedum sarmentosum

Doesn't flower long though and it's tiny. But does look good hanging,
just not much height mass.

Thanks for the explanation. For all I knew, you were growing stones in
your pots like I had to resort to in mine to keep the chipmunks out :-).
Except somehow I thought maybe you got yours to trail and were pulling
my leg. Ridiculous, I know. I'll see if I can find something about
that one. Am kind of on overload with seeds, roses & perennial plants I
want to try, have next year pretty well mapped out, if I only get half
of what I've got going, I'll be doing well. Plus I have to allow for
failures.

I was having good luck with iresine trailing, grows very fast and long
to the point you have to cut it back depending, but wasn't as pretty the
second year in a window box with pink geraniums, grew well enough, but
something wasn't as nice about it, texture and color. Roots easily in
water, had pots and pots of it, ended up giving much of it away. Anyway
I fed them some Osmocote and never saw such huge geraniums. I had to
cut the iresine back because it touches the ground, so maybe I'll come
across something I like better, not lobelia, 2 windowboxes are going to
be dedicated to only that, blue and white mixed. I recommend the
iresine for dappled shade, but it doesn't take kindly to too much sun.

The iresine roots like crazy in water if you want more. The first year,
when the afternoon sun hit it, it was pretty bright red towards autumn.
It starts out green. I'm open to something else, it's only two years
but think I might replant that box before I set it out next spring.

Ever notice how something looks good in a photo or where somebody else
is growing it, you try it, it sometimes doesn't look so good if it grows
at all?