Old 18-12-2007, 01:09 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.food.cooking

Default PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Greenhouse

We have always dreamed of having a green house. This one isn't exactly a
dream come true but it was a place to start.

I have put together a Greenhouse page for more background, pictures and
a place to post futures pictures of our activities therein.

js

Old 18-12-2007, 02:18 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.food.cooking

"Jack Schmidling" wrote in message
We have always dreamed of having a green house. This one isn't exactly a
dream come true but it was a place to start.

I have put together a Greenhouse page for more background, pictures and
a place to post futures pictures of our activities therein.

js

It would be interesting to know what growing zone you are in and what it
did to your electric bills.....Sharon in Canada, zone5

Old 18-12-2007, 02:51 PM posted to rec.gardens, rec.food.cooking

--
PHOTO OF THE WEEK:http://schmidling.com/pow.htm
Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber,Gems, Sausage,Silverhttp://schmidling.com

� �It would be interesting to know what growing zone you are in and what it
did to your electric bills.....Sharon in Canada, zone5

From the snow, manner of dress, and native flora I'd guess zone 6-7.
As to electric bills their gardening is obviously a hobby, not a
business... no one does recreational gardening to save money. Why do
so many people equate so much in their lives strictly with dollars and
cents... don't yoose ever enjoy anything just for the sake of pleasure
derived.
Old 18-12-2007, 02:59 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.food.cooking

Jack Schmidling wrote in news:13mfhl7kohgk3f8
@corp.supernews.com:

We have always dreamed of having a green house. This one isn't exactly a
dream come true but it was a place to start.

I have put together a Greenhouse page for more background, pictures and
a place to post futures pictures of our activities therein.

js

I'm going to have to make sure that the next time I get over to the States
is going to be around October..... in whatever year :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Jack and Jill
Went up the hill
And planned to do some kissing.
Jack made a pass
and grabbed her ass
Now two of his teeth are missing.
Old 18-12-2007, 03:24 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" wrote in message
"biig" wrote:
"Jack Schmidling" wrote:

We have always dreamed of having a green house. This one isn't exactly a
dream come true but it was a place to start.

I have put together a Greenhouse page for more background, pictures and
a place to post futures pictures of our activities therein.

js

--
PHOTO OF THE WEEK:http://schmidling.com/pow.htm
Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber,Gems, Sausage,Silverhttp://schmidling.com

? ?It would be interesting to know what growing zone you are in and what
it
did to your electric bills.....Sharon in Canada, zone5

From the snow, manner of dress, and native flora I'd guess zone 6-7.
As to electric bills their gardening is obviously a hobby, not a
business... no one does recreational gardening to save money. Why do
so many people equate so much in their lives strictly with dollars and
cents... don't yoose ever enjoy anything just for the sake of pleasure
derived.

Because some budgets are not infinite, professor.

Old 18-12-2007, 03:46 PM posted to rec.gardens, rec.food.cooking

On Dec 18, 10:24�am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Sheldon" wrote in message

"biig" wrote:
"Jack Schmidling" wrote:

We have always dreamed of having a green house. This one isn't exactly a
dream come true but it was a place to start.

I have put together a Greenhouse page for more background, pictures and
a place to post futures pictures of our activities therein.

js

--
PHOTO OF THE WEEK:http://schmidling.com/pow.htm
Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber,Gems, Sausage,Silverhttp://schmidling.com

? ?It would be interesting to know what growing zone you are in and what
it
did to your electric bills.....Sharon in Canada, zone5

From the snow, manner of dress, and native flora I'd guess zone 6-7.
As to electric bills their gardening is obviously a hobby, not a
business... no one does recreational gardening to save money. �Why do
so many people equate so much in their lives strictly with dollars and
cents... don't yoose ever enjoy anything just for the sake of pleasure
derived.

Because some budgets are not infinite, professor

That post wasn't offered to discuss their pocketbook, it was obviously
offered in hopes people would join in celebrating their enjoyment of
something they find pleasurable, not for yoose sick bi-polars to poo
poo their happiness. Can't any of yoose clinically depressed folks
ever look at the glass half *full*.... sheesh, so much resentment of
anyone enjoying their life. The poster didn't ask you to pay for
their greenhouse.
Old 18-12-2007, 03:52 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 06:51:09 -0800 (PST), Sheldon
wrote:

"biig" wrote:
"Jack Schmidling" wrote:

We have always dreamed of having a green house. This one isn't exactly a
dream come true but it was a place to start.

I have put together a Greenhouse page for more background, pictures and
a place to post futures pictures of our activities therein.

js

--
PHOTO OF THE WEEK:http://schmidling.com/pow.htm
Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber,Gems, Sausage,Silverhttp://schmidling.com

? ?It would be interesting to know what growing zone you are in and what it
did to your electric bills.....Sharon in Canada, zone5

From the snow, manner of dress, and native flora I'd guess zone 6-7.
As to electric bills their gardening is obviously a hobby, not a
business... no one does recreational gardening to save money. Why do
so many people equate so much in their lives strictly with dollars and
cents... don't yoose ever enjoy anything just for the sake of pleasure
derived.

4-5 depending on what map you look at.

Lou
Old 18-12-2007, 04:25 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 05:09:56 -0800, Jack Schmidling
wrote:

We have always dreamed of having a green house. This one isn't exactly a
dream come true but it was a place to start.

I have put together a Greenhouse page for more background, pictures and
a place to post futures pictures of our activities therein.

js

We decided to invest "a bit more" money into the program and came up
with this one after much shopping around. The 4 hours estimated assembly
time turned into more like 4 days due, primarily to the very poor quality of
hardware supplied with the kit.

The actual structural parts and glazing are very nice but it's like the kingdom
that was lost because of a faulty horseshoe nail. For some reason, the
Chinese just can't get the nuts and bolts right and the crude instructions
didn't help much either. I definitely would not recommend this model to
anyone without a gift for improvising.

Great pictures Jack. The whole DIY thing is rather silly. I can't
tell you how many kits I've bought and had to get replacement
hardware. I bought a New Braunfels smoker years ago and had to drill
all the holes out bigger and use bigger and better nuts and bolts. I
had to have a bit of welding done because the wheels would have fallen
off.

Anyway I'd love to have your greenhouse. Have fun.

Lou
Old 18-12-2007, 04:34 PM posted to rec.gardens, rec.food.cooking

wrote:

"biig" wrote:
"Jack Schmidling" wrote:

We have always dreamed of having a green house. This one isn't exactly a
dream come true but it was a place to start.

I have put together a Greenhouse page for more background, pictures and
a place to post futures pictures of our activities therein.

js

--
PHOTO OF THE WEEK:http://schmidling.com/pow.htm
Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber,Gems, Sausage,Silverhttp://schmidling.com

? ?It would be interesting to know what growing zone you are in and what it
did to your electric bills.....Sharon in Canada, zone5

From the snow, manner of dress, and native flora I'd guess zone 6-7.
As to electric bills their gardening is obviously a hobby, not a
business... no one does recreational gardening to save money. �Why do
so many people equate so much in their lives strictly with dollars and
cents... don't yoose ever enjoy anything just for the sake of pleasure
derived.

4-5 depending on what map you look at.

Yes, after perusing their web site it seems they're in Marengo Ill...
perhaps most of those photos are from a month or two ago, seems only
the one with snow is more recent... looks like a relatively mild
season for that area. I've been contemplating a greenhouse of sorts
myself, but I'm thinking more along the lines of a smallish (12' X
12') four season shed-like structure attached to my house, I need
something substantial if it's to hold up to the winters here... I'm
wondering how that plastic sheet structure will hold up to wind and
snowload, I don't think it would last very long here and I'm in the
same zone 5. And If I set it out somewhere in the open I'd not be
able to get to it very easily with the typical one and two foot+ snow
falls not to mention drifts over my head. The rear of my house faces
dead south so it's in full sun all year, but even so I wonder what it
would cost to heat! hehe What a stupid question, anyone installing a
greenhouse realizes it must cost something for maintaining temperature
in cold climes... as dumb a question as someone going to buy a yacht
and asking how many knots per gallon... yoose think golfers care how
much balls cost... that would be like someone buying an All-Clad pot
but can only afford to use it to cook ramen.
Old 18-12-2007, 05:10 PM posted to rec.gardens, rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

I've had the same experience with DIY kits, often terrible
instructions and poor fasteners... the last one was a simple trash can
cart, cost like all of $16, took me about four hours to figure it out
and retool to make the parts fit.

Anyway �I'd love to have your greenhouse.

I wish I could have something so simple but I doubt it would last very
long in this climate. I've been tossing around the idea of a sort of
greenhouse for the five years I've been here and finally decided it
would make more sense for me to have something like these:
http://www.patioenc.com/Products/Conservatories.aspx

http://www.greenhousesetc.com/conservatories.shtml

SHELDON

Old 18-12-2007, 06:04 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

That's why it was so cheap. The parts are all chinese made, and the
hardware is cheap. Many times I just toss the hardware in the
recycling bin and use all new. Mini-blind hardware is the worst.
Just use real screws for those.

Anyway ?I'd love to have your greenhouse.

I wish I could have something so simple but I doubt it would last very
long in this climate. I've been tossing around the idea of a sort of
greenhouse for the five years I've been here and finally decided it
would make more sense for me to have something like these:
http://www.patioenc.com/Products/Conservatories.aspx

http://www.greenhousesetc.com/conservatories.shtml

Those are cool. But do you need an extra room? In your situation I'd
dig down a bit to use the earth as insulation. Sounds like you need
to decide if you want a room or a greenhouse. Either way, attached to
the house is the way to go. I don't and never have had a greenhouse,
but Louise has more gardening books than I have cookbooks. From what
I've read, using the earth is the way to go. It depends on the
budget. Paying it forward you'll save money, and enjoy your
investment.

Lou

Old 18-12-2007, 06:52 PM posted to rec.gardens, rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Dec 18, 8:34 am, Sheldon wrote:
[snip] .... I've been contemplating a greenhouse of sorts
myself, but I'm thinking more along the lines of a smallish (12' X
12') four season shed-like structure attached to my house, I need
something substantial if it's to hold up to the winters here... [snip]
The rear of my house faces
dead south so it's in full sun all year, but even so I wonder what it
would cost to heat! hehe What a stupid question, anyone installing a
greenhouse realizes it must cost something for maintaining temperature
in cold climes...[snip]

And I'm not sure you need to think in terms of heating the whole shed/
room. A friend in Oregon has a stand-alone greenhouse about 8' x 12'
which he heats only a few days per the typical winter when they get a
hard freeze. The rest of the time he uses some kind of warming
devices that just keep seedbeds and pots/trays warm. Task lights on a
timer targeted for specific plants when he wants to jumpstart
something. This approach, he says, minimizes the electric bill. -
aem
Old 18-12-2007, 07:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 10:52:13 -0800 (PST), aem
wrote:

[...]

I saw an ingenious greenhouse that was heated with decaying compost
under the floor. Steam continues to pour off the top of our compost
piles year round. I'm sure the "cost" of doing this is maintaining
the compost pile, but it can work well with the proper care.
Old 18-12-2007, 08:22 PM posted to rec.gardens, rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

Underground you're talking of a "cold frame". a very different concept
from a greenhouse.

cold frame
noun
: a usually glass- or plastic-covered frame without artificial heat
used to protect plants and seedlings outdoors

A cold frame can cost next to nothing but it's not something one uses
as living space, not even for grown plants.

http://tinyurl.com/23hb39

http://reference.aol.com/dictionary_...e=cold%20frame
http://reference.aol.com/dictionary_...e=cold%20frame

Old 18-12-2007, 09:11 PM posted to rec.gardens, rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

I wouldn't call a conservatory an extra room or a need... that's like
calling an inground swimming pool an extra bath tub and deeming it a
necessity. I always wanted a conservatory, a nice way to enjoy my
plants and my outside view... and it sure would be nice to have a
conservatory that contained a swimming pool. okay, a spa. One of my
neighbors had a 3 season room added, it's very nice, probably the
most popular room in the house. But were it me I'd have gone all the
way and for a few dollars more made it an all season room, because in
this clime without heat and insulation you really can't use it from
October thru April... that's half the year that it can't be enjoyed.
I think it would be a nice addition to my office, and I really
wouldn't want the spa, if I did choose a water feature I'd rather a
small koi pool... do I really need these things, no, does anyone. No
one needs to do recreational gardening either.