Old 10-01-2008, 07:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Lean-to greenhouse & siding

I am thinking either building from scratch or purchasing a kit
greenhouse to attach to my woodworking/misc. shop. This would be a
"lean-to" type that comes off the back (south facing) side of the
shop.

I am wondering if anyone here has done anything like this and/or
whether there are special considerations I should have for it.
Specifically, the siding on my shop is the T1-11 plywood siding over
housewrap over foam and regular roll insulation inside, then panelling
inside. Will the moisture from inside the greenhouse cause problems
for the siding or insulation, or even the woodworking shop inside?

Looking for any tips, advice, etc.

Cheers!
Dukester
Old 10-01-2008, 09:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

" wrote in message
I am thinking either building from scratch or purchasing a kit
greenhouse to attach to my woodworking/misc. shop. This would be a
"lean-to" type that comes off the back (south facing) side of the
shop.

I am wondering if anyone here has done anything like this and/or
whether there are special considerations I should have for it.
Specifically, the siding on my shop is the T1-11 plywood siding over
housewrap over foam and regular roll insulation inside, then panelling
inside. Will the moisture from inside the greenhouse cause problems
for the siding or insulation, or even the woodworking shop inside?

Looking for any tips, advice, etc.

Cheers!
Dukester

Interesting question. For more responses in a busier group, you might want
to post this also in alt.home.repair.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

" wrote in message
I am thinking either building from scratch or purchasing a kit
greenhouse to attach to my woodworking/misc. shop. This would be a
"lean-to" type that comes off the back (south facing) side of the
shop.

I am wondering if anyone here has done anything like this and/or
whether there are special considerations I should have for it.
Specifically, the siding on my shop is the T1-11 plywood siding over
housewrap over foam and regular roll insulation inside, then panelling
inside. Will the moisture from inside the greenhouse cause problems
for the siding or insulation, or even the woodworking shop inside?

Looking for any tips, advice, etc.

Cheers!
Dukester

Interesting question. For more responses in a busier group, you might want
to post this also in alt.home.repair.

All the rot I have had in my soffit was from excess insulation due to
concerns in the early 70's for conservation. Seems moisture must get
out and with it heat or energy. I tried to deal with it by cutting out
rot and painting it. This worked well for 25 years but it looks like I
must put some metal about with vent to keep the things that chew on wood
at bay.

Bill who killed three flying squirrels with glue traps and I like them
outside.

--

Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
ICAO = KMIV Millvile Weather
Old 10-01-2008, 10:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
" wrote:

I am thinking either building from scratch or purchasing a kit
greenhouse to attach to my woodworking/misc. shop. This would be a
"lean-to" type that comes off the back (south facing) side of the
shop.

I am wondering if anyone here has done anything like this and/or
whether there are special considerations I should have for it.
Specifically, the siding on my shop is the T1-11 plywood siding over
housewrap over foam and regular roll insulation inside, then panelling
inside. Will the moisture from inside the greenhouse cause problems
for the siding or insulation, or even the woodworking shop inside?

Looking for any tips, advice, etc.

Cheers!
Dukester

I'd think if you properly ventillate the thing near the top or on two
sides, it wouldn't rot the wall. But it's true moisture gets into places
more easily than it gets out so you should probably get builders' opinions
more than gardeners.

The coolest home-made greenhouse I ever saw had a base of mortared round
rocks maybe two feet tall, and on top of that a row of mismatched antique
scrap windows, such as are cheap at salvage yards. I've often wished I had
a few skills that might permit me to duplicate that. I collected some
vintage windows for the purpose, but never got round to attempting it, and
ended up knocking the glass out of the paned windows and mounting them on
a garage wall as wonderful trellises instead.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
visit my temperate gardening website:
http://www.paghat.com.html