Old 23-02-2008, 05:14 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default Bees

And the hits just keep on coming. More on our pollenating friend.

Hard winter for honeybees
Local beekeepers attribute unusual loss of hives to strange disorder,
many other factors

http://www1.pressdemocrat.com/articl...23/1033/NEWS01
--

Billy

Bush, Cheney & Pelosi, Behind Bars
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/site/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movemen...George_W._Bush

Old 23-02-2008, 11:10 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article wildbilly-77E0F9.09144423022008@c-61-68-245-
199.per.connect.net.au, says...
And the hits just keep on coming. More on our pollenating friend.

Hard winter for honeybees
Local beekeepers attribute unusual loss of hives to strange disorder,
many other factors

http://www1.pressdemocrat.com/articl...23/1033/NEWS01

http://www.redicecreations.com/article.php?id=974

http://bushfarms.com/bees.htm

-Thought you'd be interested.
Old 23-02-2008, 11:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 09:14:44 -0800, Billy
wrote:

And the hits just keep on coming. More on our pollenating friend.

Hard winter for honeybees
Local beekeepers attribute unusual loss of hives to strange disorder,
many other factors

http://www1.pressdemocrat.com/articl...23/1033/NEWS01

This sounds very serious to gardeners and farmers. I've already
talked with two beekeepers. Will plant some extra flowers to help
draw in the bees to my garden this year.
Old 24-02-2008, 12:40 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
phorbin wrote:

In article wildbilly-77E0F9.09144423022008@c-61-68-245-
199.per.connect.net.au, says...
And the hits just keep on coming. More on our pollenating friend.

Hard winter for honeybees
Local beekeepers attribute unusual loss of hives to strange disorder,
many other factors

http://www1.pressdemocrat.com/articl...23/1033/NEWS01

http://www.redicecreations.com/article.php?id=974

http://bushfarms.com/bees.htm

-Thought you'd be interested.

I am. Thanks. When I'm out, orchestrating my garden, I know that I have
very little idea as to what is actually going on.

When I see bees in the garden, I start to relax because I know mother
nature will take it from there.

So it appears that bee keepers don't have just Colony Collapse Disorder
to worry about but a myriad of other nagging problems as well. Problems
that are possible but not predictable.

I am curious, though, in producing organic honey, how do you get a bee
to go just to organic flowers?

Old 24-02-2008, 12:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

And the hits just keep on coming. More on our pollenating friend.

Hard winter for honeybees
Local beekeepers attribute unusual loss of hives to strange disorder,
many other factors

http://www1.pressdemocrat.com/articl...23/1033/NEWS01

This sounds very serious to gardeners and farmers. I've already
talked with two beekeepers. Will plant some extra flowers to help
draw in the bees to my garden this year.

Last year I got completely engrossed in watching a bee work an echinacea
bloom and packing the pollen into its' saddle bags. Then there's
watching the first couple of zuchs fizzle and then everything getting
back on track when the bees show up.

Old 24-02-2008, 01:38 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Ann Ann is offline

Billy expounded:

I am curious, though, in producing organic honey, how do you get a bee
to go just to organic flowers?

You can manage your bees organically, but you really can't claim to
provide organic honey. Unless you're in the middle of 8,000 square
acres.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 24-02-2008, 01:39 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Ann Ann is offline

phorbin expounded:

http://bushfarms.com/bees.htm

Michael Bush has forgotten more about bees than most people ever know.
Old 24-02-2008, 01:51 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Ann wrote:

Billy expounded:

I am curious, though, in producing organic honey, how do you get a bee
to go just to organic flowers?

You can manage your bees organically, but you really can't claim to
provide organic honey. Unless you're in the middle of 8,000 square
acres.

What then does organic bee keeping mean, if the product isn't organic?
Is 8,000 acres a legal definition or hyperbole?

Old 24-02-2008, 03:21 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
says...
phorbin expounded:

http://bushfarms.com/bees.htm

Michael Bush has forgotten more about bees than most people ever know.

That was my thought.

My wife (organic gardener and activist) was, if I recall correctly
pointed to the site by the Canadian Green Party Agriculture Critic, who
is an organic beekeeper.

Do you keep bees?
Old 24-02-2008, 06:23 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
phorbin wrote:

In article wildbilly-DF7F20.17515223022008@c-61-68-245-
199.per.connect.net.au, says...
In article ,
Ann wrote:

Billy expounded:

I am curious, though, in producing organic honey, how do you get a bee
to go just to organic flowers?

You can manage your bees organically, but you really can't claim to
provide organic honey. Unless you're in the middle of 8,000 square
acres.

What then does organic bee keeping mean, if the product isn't organic?

It starts with not forcing the bees to grow unnaturally large. The rest
amounts to philosophy of maintenance and the substances used for
maintenance.

What is unnaturally large and what is the philosophy? Why do you respond
to a question that you do not answer?

Is 8,000 acres a legal definition or hyperbole?

It's not hyperbole. Bees will travel substantial distances.

What, you nitwit, is substantial? Do you mean 10,534.75 feet? I asked a
specific question. Do you have a specific answer? Next time get your
caca together before you respond, or don't respond if you don't know
what the freak you're talking about. We are supposed to be adults here.
I'm not your babysitter.

Oh, I know you tried, now be quiet and try to look presentable.

Old 24-02-2008, 01:53 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Ann Ann is offline

Billy expounded:

What then does organic bee keeping mean, if the product isn't organic?
Is 8,000 acres a legal definition or hyperbole?

No, it's not hyperbole, Billy. That's the radius a honeybee will
forage within.

Organic beekeeping means putting nothing in the hive but the honeybee
and comb and managing all of the pests/problems organically.
Old 24-02-2008, 01:55 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Ann Ann is offline

phorbin expounded:

In article ,
says...
phorbin expounded:

http://bushfarms.com/bees.htm

Michael Bush has forgotten more about bees than most people ever know.

That was my thought.

My wife (organic gardener and activist) was, if I recall correctly
pointed to the site by the Canadian Green Party Agriculture Critic, who
is an organic beekeeper.

Do you keep bees?

Yes, we do. We have three apiaries and right now have ten hives, but
that will grow this season. We're 'backyard beekeepers', we do it for
the enjoyment of it, we do sell honey, but it isn't a major portion of
our income - heck, it'll take us years to pay back the investment in
equipment! But it's lots of fun, and the learning is amazing.
Old 24-02-2008, 02:15 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article wildbilly-B9A4F7.22235423022008@c-61-68-245-
199.per.connect.net.au, says...
In article ,
phorbin wrote:

In article wildbilly-DF7F20.17515223022008@c-61-68-245-
199.per.connect.net.au,
says...
In article ,
Ann wrote:

Billy expounded:

[...]

My memory was prompting 4 miles or more for long-range foraging (as the
bee flies) depending on the investment-return to the hive. It was late
in my day and I was fading quickly.

Relevant numbers are published on the net within easy reach. Imperial
metric converters are all over the place.

So FWIW
http://www.lasi.group.shef.ac.uk/pdf/brfuncecol2000.pdf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forage_(honeybee)

.... and if you don't like my answers, or you don't like my on-line
persona your killfile is a button away. And to not put too fine a point
on it, so's mine.

We are as you say, "supposed to be adults here." Adults are polite.

Oh, I know you tried, now be quiet and try to look presentable.

Old 24-02-2008, 03:52 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

phorbin wrote:

In article wildbilly-DF7F20.17515223022008@c-61-68-245-
199.per.connect.net.au,
says...
In article ,
Ann wrote:

Billy expounded:

[...]

I asked for specific information, not the way you felt about it or
excuses. What was the question anyway? Do you remember or don't you read
so good?
Is 8,000 acres a legal definition (for the production of organic honey)
or hyperbole?

Relevant numbers are published on the net within easy reach. Imperial
metric converters are all over the place.

Did I ask about metric conversion? Do you have any idea what 10,534.75
feet represents? Try 3.22 km. Still nothing?

So FWIW
http://www.lasi.group.shef.ac.uk/pdf/brfuncecol2000.pdf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forage_(honeybee)

Question numero-two-o: What then does organic bee keeping mean, if the
product isn't organic? Helloooo.

... and if you don't like my answers, or you don't like my on-line
persona your killfile is a button away. And to not put too fine a point
on it, so's mine.

Oh, you felt I was disappointed with your your response? You are
absolutely clairvoyant.

Lastly, that was a persona?

We are as you say, "supposed to be adults here." Adults are polite.

Adults, Pollyanna, know when to talk and when to keep their mouths shut.
Engage mind before letting the clutch out on your mouth. You didn't
bring humor to the table. You didn't bring information to the table. You
didn't address the questions that were asked.