Old 06-03-2008, 08:53 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default Backyard Fence

In article
,
Bill wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

You are dispicable. Probably would be excellent with port.

But today is my 60 th birthday. Still despicable is better than
crotchety. )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arachis_glabrata

But not for people ;((.

Bill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv5zWaTEVkI
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi
Bush & Cheney to the Hague
http://electronicintifada.net/v2/article1248.shtml
Old 06-03-2008, 09:11 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article
,
Bill wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

You are dispicable. Probably would be excellent with port.

But today is my 60 th birthday. Still despicable is better than
crotchety. )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arachis_glabrata

But not for people ;((.

Bill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv5zWaTEVkI

Thanks!

Now back to gardening

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhlV0leeNLM

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
ICAO = KMIV Millville Weather

http://improve-usenet.org/
Old 06-03-2008, 09:29 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

rachael simpson wrote:

A question always comes to mind for us west coast people, and that
is, other than gumbo, how do you cook okra?

Slice, batter, and fry,
stir fry, boil, grill, steamed (baby okras)...

Instead of boiling in a pot on the stove, my wife now puts it in a
dish of water in the microware and just brings to a rolling boil. It
is not near as "slippery" cooked this way and more people like that!!
To me, I was raise on it boiled on a wood stove until it was almost
falling apart, so either way is good to me. I also like it sliced
across in 3/4" or so pieces, battered in corn meal and fried crispy!

Tom J

Old 06-03-2008, 09:36 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Tom J wrote:
rachael simpson wrote:

A question always comes to mind for us west coast people, and that
is, other than gumbo, how do you cook okra?

Slice, batter, and fry,
stir fry, boil, grill, steamed (baby okras)...

Instead of boiling in a pot on the stove, my wife now puts it in a
dish of water in the microware and just brings to a rolling boil. It
is not near as "slippery" cooked this way and more people like that!!
To me, I was raise on it boiled on a wood stove until it was almost
falling apart, so either way is good to me. I also like it sliced
across in 3/4" or so pieces, battered in corn meal and fried crispy!

Tom J

Yeah, I'm surprised Billy hasn't killed me yet about the *fry*
comment...lol! cholesterol anyone? At least I don't fry them in lard
like my grandmother used to do!
Old 06-03-2008, 09:45 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 11:01:00 -0800, Billy wrote:

Hay business can't be all that bad or is your husband workin' 24/7?
A question always comes to mind for us west coast people, and that is,
other than gumbo, how do you cook okra?

Here's one of our favorites, ya gotta add whatever proportions sound
good to ya.....we be cookin' here Billy, not measurin'...this ain't
Food Lab.

Stewed Okra and Tomatoes (for specifics and variations, go to
cooks.com)

Tomatoes and juice or broth or water or wine (I always add some wine)

Onions...lots of em... and garlic...lots
Sliced Okra.....lots and lots
Green Pepper.....or red....or not.

Simmer sliced okra in water for five minutes, drain, set aside
Saute onions nicely as well as peppers
Add garlic last minute or so
Add tomatoes and liquid and okra and simmer til ready (20 mins or so)
Season with something hot and cajun like.....Essence is always good.

We ladle over brown rice and then I get stupid with hot sauce. Tabasco
Chipotle is one of my favorites. It is good on everything.

Enjoy, this is some seriously good stuff
Charlie

Thanks, kid.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:45 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Tom J" wrote:

rachael simpson wrote:

A question always comes to mind for us west coast people, and that
is, other than gumbo, how do you cook okra?

Slice, batter, and fry,
stir fry, boil, grill, steamed (baby okras)...

Instead of boiling in a pot on the stove, my wife now puts it in a
dish of water in the microware and just brings to a rolling boil. It
is not near as "slippery" cooked this way and more people like that!!
To me, I was raise on it boiled on a wood stove until it was almost
falling apart, so either way is good to me. I also like it sliced
across in 3/4" or so pieces, battered in corn meal and fried crispy!

Tom J

Thanks for the tips Tom:-)

Old 06-03-2008, 09:51 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Charlie wrote:

Hey Girl! Good to hear from you. I caught the catch-ups from your
replies to Mr. Billy. Sounds like things are going pretty well.

Shoot, you're BBQin' so I know its good there.

Glad the kids are well, though being cooped up inside all winter with
'em can be taxing, eh? We have all three grands here quite often and
we old farts are kept *really* busy with them. Life is good!

Later, I'm sure. I have an okrie recipe to fling at Billy, so you can
catch it there.

Care
Charlie

Hey to you too! Been thinking of you, glad to see you round these parts
again. Let's a person know you're doing ok.
Yep, this winter has been a long one for me, even though I haven't been
snowed all in like some of my friends up north and west. I'll be glad
for the warmer weather to stay around, if only for the fact that it
means I can take the kids outside and my house can stay a bit cleaner!
lol! It's a nice 70 degrees out right now, and I am waiting for the kids
to wake from their nap so we can spend a little time outside. Nice day
to saddle up and ride for awhile. We've got Wyatt handling his own mount
now, so the littlest one can ride with me, and I take the lead rope to
Wyatt's pony and they follow or at least stay beside me. Wyatt's got it
in his head right now that he wants to ride bulls...I kinda hope he
"grows out" of that one...I love to watch it, but I don't know how I
would handle it having to watch my baby up there on one!

Saw your recipe, you are right, it is really good stuff! I do something
similar, but of course I don't use any wine in it. Also have to leave
out the peppers now. Hubby's been having trouble with peppers (bell or
hot) causing heartburn so he tries to avoid them now. But for some
reason, he won't leave the hot sauce alone! I didn't offer any recipes
because like you, I don't measure anything, I just *do*. Plus I didn't
think about this one when responding to Mr. Billy....thinking I might
need to start taking something for memory, this cabin fever's trying to
take over! lol!

Well, I hear a waking baby. Gonna head out now.

~Rae
Old 06-03-2008, 11:09 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

Tom J wrote:
rachael simpson wrote:

A question always comes to mind for us west coast people, and that
is, other than gumbo, how do you cook okra?
Slice, batter, and fry,
stir fry, boil, grill, steamed (baby okras)...

Instead of boiling in a pot on the stove, my wife now puts it in a
dish of water in the microware and just brings to a rolling boil. It
is not near as "slippery" cooked this way and more people like that!!
To me, I was raise on it boiled on a wood stove until it was almost
falling apart, so either way is good to me. I also like it sliced
across in 3/4" or so pieces, battered in corn meal and fried crispy!

Tom J

Yeah, I'm surprised Billy hasn't killed me yet about the *fry*
comment...lol! cholesterol anyone? At least I don't fry them in lard
like my grandmother used to do!

No problemo. I got a special dispensation from Charlie this morning.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:27 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

rachael simpson wrote:
Billy wrote:

Hay business can't be all that bad or is your husband workin' 24/7?

Ha! It really was, only about $11,000 last year, that's total,
before
any taxes. And he's nearly working 24/7, put in 163 hours in the
last
two weeks, and it will be picking up more soon. He works outside of
our business for a local big-time farmer, and that pays pretty good
for around here. That farmer deals in everything, from row crops to
hogs and turkeys. Got a good deal on the house and land as well.

A question always comes to mind for us west coast people, and that
is, other than gumbo, how do you cook okra?

Slice, batter, and fry,
stir fry, boil, grill, steamed (baby okras)...

Stew with tomatoes or saute in a little butter.

Sounds like you should be planting portables (pots and buckets and
such). If the new house isn't to far away, maybe you could start
preparing the ground there. You could give the present owner some
token sum of money for rent so that it wouldn't be misconstrued as
taking possession.

the pots and buckets was what I was thinking on. Be easier to tend
everyday and easy to move.

Well, I smell a little stinker...Shew!

Wasn't me!

Are you sure about that?? lol! No, I'm surprised you didn't smell
that
one all the way over to where you are at...let's just say...it was
very strong!

Catch ya later, watch that fence post there now. Gotta get round
replacing it! lol

~Rae

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old 07-03-2008, 01:45 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"J. Clarke" wrote:

Stew with tomatoes or saute in a little butter.

Thanks for the tip J.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:44 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 10:41:38 -0800, Billy wrote:

Sweet article tho. Basically, it says we got a problem, and we know how
to make money off of the problem, but we don't know what the problem is
or how to fix it (cholesterol --- cardiovascular disease?, probably not)

The problem is perhaps best identified, and exposed, by the answer to
the question "Cui bono?" And this is the question we should be asking
ourselves about most issues that confront us.... ideas, techniques,
illnesses, products, services...ad infinitum.

Cui bono. Who benefits. Adam Smith wrote "All for ourselves, and
nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have
been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind."

Sounds like it is leading us back to Michael Pollan and his discussion
on macro nutrients (carbs, fats, and proteins) and macro vitamins (A, B,
C, D, etc.) and his musings over the elevated levels of flavonoids (and
anthocyanins?) in organically grown food, and our present
omega-6/omega-3 ratio of ten (10), where historically it was one (1).
The omega-6/omega-3 ratio apparently can be fixed by eating more leaves
and much less grain or eating more things that eat more leaves and much
less grain. I'm still dragging my heels on grass feed beef because I'd
have to buy a quarter and find cold storage for it. Mean time, I'm
probably eating high omega-6 smoked turkey to excess.

Pollan, among others, has nailed it, but as you have observed, and
experienced, the vile masters have done their best in luring us into a
situation that very nearly precludes any choice in the matter. Or, for
most people, any desire to make choices contrary to the popular wisdom.

More of a Huxleyian situation than Orwellian, I would say.

You asked about my breakfast. Grandson stayed over last nite and for
breakfast he wanted bacon, eggs, and toast. Lovey and I had grits
also....with butter. Lots of grits with lots of butter. Cui bono? We
all did. We had a great time extolling the virtues of bacon, and
mini-bacon toast sammichs and toast strips dipped in runny yolks,
washed down with milk (organic, mind you) and mugs of coffee for the
Elders. Carrying on about the smell of bacon frying and coffee making.

Is this healthy? The health police would tell you it isn't. But what
of the benefits of the fun we had at table, the gastronomical delights,
and the laughter. When it is all said and done, I wouldn't trade
longer life for the joy of life we had this morning. And I'll do it
again.

The easy times are coming to an end, my friend, and I am damned sure
gonna enjoy every little minute like this morning.

Cui bono, Billy, cui bono.
Charlie

Oh sacred, inspired madness. Good on you Charlie, you unleashed the
muses. I admire your Sisyphusian bravery but the clock keeps on running.
The problem is, the older you get, the fewer days you have to barter.
Intimate moments at four traded off against adolescent support at
sixteen? We'll never know. I hope your wager was a good one. As I always
say, you're not a real man until your first heat attack. But then, I
like to play to my strength.

Good on you and your grandson.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:50 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 15:09:22 -0800, Billy wrote:

Yeah, I'm surprised Billy hasn't killed me yet about the *fry*
comment...lol! cholesterol anyone? At least I don't fry them in lard
like my grandmother used to do!

No problemo. I got a special dispensation from Charlie this morning.

Go, and sin no more, my son.........

Speaking of lard.....I recently bought a pound to season a new dutch
oven and rehabilitate some old pieces I acquired and damned if they
hadn't gone and ruined lard by hydrogenating it. Bastids. When did
they start that crap? Gonna have to season me cast iron with organic
pig bacon, it seems.

In a similar vein.....other than olive oil, should one trust the oils
we have been led to believe are healthy? Canola, corn? Last I heard,
none of Canada's canola can be certified as organic on account of GM
contamination. One can assume the same for corn oil.

Today we made a large pot of vegetable zoup and had cornbread with it.
Guess what Lovey decided to use in the cornbread? She substituted the
bacon grease from this morning for the "healthy" oil. OMG......it's
been decades since we had cornbread that good.

Ha! Here's a market niche fer ya, Billy. Lard, from organic,
grass-fed hogs. Oh, the irony!

Hell, I keep this up, I'll be waitin' for *you* on the otherside of
this situation.

Care, brother, carefully
Charlie

Oh hell, just add plenty of salt to the oil or lard and scrub out the
pan. Don't rinse. If it is a long time before you re-use the pan, repeat
treatment and rinse.

Grass fed. That's the trick.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:09 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

Just like gardening, you gotta prepare the bed. So it probably ain't
gonna happen real soon but I'm gonna lean up against this fence and see
who comes by. Never can tell.

http://zipcodezoo.com/Key/Petunia_Genus.asp

Bill

Old 07-03-2008, 05:59 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Bill wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

Just like gardening, you gotta prepare the bed. So it probably ain't
gonna happen real soon but I'm gonna lean up against this fence and see
who comes by. Never can tell.

http://zipcodezoo.com/Key/Petunia_Genus.asp

The above is just the knob on a drawer which, when opened, contains a
week's worth of reading:-0
Thanks for the gift Bill.

He's a good boy but a bit taciturn.

Bill

Old 07-03-2008, 07:09 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 22:44:52 -0800, Billy wrote:

In article , Charlie wrote:

[...]

Indeed the clock keeps running, and I too awaken at three, in the dark
hours, and am gripped by terror, sheer terror, of dying, and I try and
comfort myself with platitudes and fine thoughts and bargaining and all
the five stages rush past in quick succession.

Sisyphean.....indeed it is, though not in the sense of pointlessness,
but in the sense of repitition......this is a daily struggle at our
age, old friend. What was once taken for granted is now grasped at on
a nearly daily basis.

But what do you do? Do you try and bargain for time by following the
advice of those whose primary interest is profit or do you try and take
control of your destiny based upon other things that are important.
How do we get all zen on this? Maybe it is my problem with "them" and
my willingness to remove my nose inspite of my face. Pride cometh and
all that you know.

I really do understand your point, and oftimes feel as if I am simply
whistling past the graveyard, and I hope that putting things into words
will solidify my desires/beliefs and attain solidarity with others who
feel the same.

If I didn't fear the end, why would I be concerned about the quality of
food we ingest, or the virulent way that we are destroying the
biosphere upon which we depend? For my descendents? For sure. For
myself as well. I fear the end as much as anyone, and hope I have the
strength to face it with courage and dignity.

I'm just not sure any longer that what I have "learned" in the last few
decades is valid, and feel as if I am mostly alone in the wilderness.

I mean, is trading abstinence of bacon and coffee and barleywine worth
a few years and missing many years of ecstasy worth it, when in the end
we all achieve the same goal? I don't know.

Hell, maybe it's just time to go to bed and hope I'll arise again in
the morn and start this all over again.

Maybe I'll sleep the night without having to pee more than once and
escape the night fears.

Not likely.

May you sleep well and dream of tomatoes as large as the moon.

Yer pal
Charlie

Your request was granted. I started awake at 1 AM, sitting in front of
the computer. I had been sleeping well, comforted in the shadows of that
great, orbiting Solanum lycopersicum. Only the heater cats on the
federbett could complain as I slid between the sheets to continue my
nocturnal wanderings, unburdened of the details of how and why.

Get out and carp that diem my friend. I think you've already done what
was intended of you. You've passed on the gift of life, as well as your
dream of the Eden that is possible. From here on out, it is an
adventure. There really aren't any bad endings, if ending isn't bad
enough. Gotta get outta the way so that life can try again to survive.

Monsanto, Cargill, Archer Daniel Midlands, and the other unspeakables
may try to foist their faux food on the harried masses but at least, in
places like this, a candle has been lit (for the promise of clean air,
food, and water, and community) to stave off the darkness of which Adam
Smith wrote.

In regards to the chin wag about cholesterol, I've found a source of
truly free range chicken eggs. Now I can put Pollan and his grass feed
chickens to the test.

Gonna be a chilly day to lean on the fence. It's the third day of a
serious overcast.

Oh, yeah, been meanin' to compliment you on your new pots;-)

Hasta luego