Old 06-03-2008, 05:46 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default Backyard Fence

Just like gardening, you gotta prepare the bed. So it probably ain't
gonna happen real soon but I'm gonna lean up against this fence and see
who comes by. Never can tell.
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi
Bush & Cheney to the Hague
http://electronicintifada.net/v2/article1248.shtml
Old 06-03-2008, 03:58 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

Just like gardening, you gotta prepare the bed. So it probably ain't
gonna happen real soon but I'm gonna lean up against this fence and see
who comes by. Never can tell.

Huh?
--
Peace, Om
Remove underscore to validate gmails.

"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have
come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
-- Mark Twain
Old 06-03-2008, 04:55 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
Just like gardening, you gotta prepare the bed. So it probably ain't
gonna happen real soon but I'm gonna lean up against this fence and see
who comes by. Never can tell.

Hey Billy!

Don't lean too far over...my fence needs repairs!
lol!
~Rae
Old 06-03-2008, 04:58 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

Just like gardening, you gotta prepare the bed. So it probably ain't
gonna happen real soon but I'm gonna lean up against this fence and see
who comes by. Never can tell.

Huh?

A beautiful day in the neighborhood, particularly back here by the
garden fence, just off Allen's Alley, and we have our first visitor, a
natural conversationalist, the loquacious Ms. Omelet.

How's your pots comin'? The highs in the San Antonio area seem to be
jumpin' around a bit but it looks like you could start gardening any day
now. Nice thing about pots is that they're portable. If'n you're gonna
catch a frost, you can always pack 'em inside at night. Whatcha' plan on
plantin' sides 'maters? If you got 'maters you gotta have basil. If'n
you got 'maters and basil, all you need is a red onion and some
mozzarella for a salad. Lettuce and cucumbers come in handy as well for
salads. I prefer the lemon cucumbers, myself. Yuh can just pick what yuh
need. A little parsley is always nice, too. I don't know anyone that
uses a whole parsley "bunch" at a time. If'n you're gonna plant parsley,
you may as well plant some tarragon, oregano, and thyme while your at
it. Aw hell, your half way to a "potager" as the "Frogs" call it. May as
well lay in some shallots, rosemary, and sage too. Try to keep them
close to the kitchen.

Hope you got a lot of pots. This may be gettin' a little out of control.

I'm havin' a hard time coming up with "runner" peanuts. Any ideas? If it
comes to you, I'll be back here, leanin' on the fence and trying to
wear-in a sweet spot.

Old 06-03-2008, 05:30 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

Billy wrote:
Just like gardening, you gotta prepare the bed. So it probably ain't
gonna happen real soon but I'm gonna lean up against this fence and see
who comes by. Never can tell.

Hey Billy!

Don't lean too far over...my fence needs repairs!
lol!
~Rae

Whoa. Rachael how are you? Last I heard, things were dry in NC and it
doesn't sound like it got any better. How you doin'? What ever happened
to your pasture. How's the hay business? How are the kids? How's your
winter tan coming along?

Here, on the other coast, we've had a wet, but not exceptionally wet,
winter so far. If we don't get anymore rain, it will be just sorta
average.

You gonna be able to put in a garden this year or are you to busy
raising your family to fight "Mother Nature"?

Old 06-03-2008, 05:44 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

[...]

Are you going to Scarborough fair.. Parsley Sage rosemary and time
popped in head.

So did Johnny not Depp )

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/s...rch&search=gre
ens

or

http://preview.tinyurl.com/3cdm8t

Cheese yielded

Gorgonzola Cheesecake

Les Bourgeois Bistro
Yield: 16 appetizer servings

1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon dried basil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
5 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened (2 1/2 pounds)
4 eggs
1 pound Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
16 cloves garlic, peeled

Nonstick cooking spray Preheat oven to 250 degrees. In a saucepan,
bring water to a boil; stir in cornmeal, then add salt, basil and garlic.

Remove
from heat; stir in Parmesan. Mold mixture into a 9 1/2- or 10-inch
springform pan, forming a crust. Using an electric mixer with a paddle
attachment, combine cream cheese, eggs and Gorgonzola; beat until smooth.
Pour filling over crust, Place garlic cloves evenly around edge of
cheesecake. Bake in the center of the oven for 25 minutes; rotate pan
and bake about 25 minutes more, or until filling is set. Let cheesecake
cool to room temperature, then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate
overnight.

To serve: Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Coat a sheet pan with nonstick
spray.

Run a knife between the cheesecake and the sides of the springform ring.
Remove springform ring. Cut cheesecake into 16 wedges, and arrange them
on
the sheet pan. Bake until cheesecake is warm in the center, about 8
minutes.

--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia D. Hill at .
Archives:

Rest of post below no need to look at.

------------------------------

Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes
From: "Judy Bolton"
Subject: Gorgonzola Cheesecake
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 20:09:26 -0600
http://www.giganews.com

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
ICAO = KMIV Millville Weather

http://improve-usenet.org/
Old 06-03-2008, 06:18 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:
Hey Billy!

Don't lean too far over...my fence needs repairs!
lol!
~Rae

Whoa. Rachael how are you? Last I heard, things were dry in NC and it
doesn't sound like it got any better. How you doin'?

We are good, we've had some thunderstorms and lots of rain in the last
couple of weeks, but not nearly enough to put a dent in the drought levels.

What ever happened
to your pasture.

When they saw that we wouldn't be run over, they offered to fix things
back up after they finished fixing "their ditches" so that we could put
our livestock back. We had moved all the horses & cows here to the house
while everything was going on, so that we could be sure of their
wellbeing. We took the DOT up on their offer, and they almost have
everything completed. We have yet to decide whether or not we really
want to put our livestock back there. My FIL wants it, so we are
thinking of just renting it out to him.

How's the hay business?

Hay business is very slow right now. The drought sure did not do us any
favors there. We won't get started up in hay this year until the end of
April or so.

How are the kids?

The kids are doing great. They are currently "hiding" behind the rocking
chair and playing farm. Go figure, huh? lol! Wyatt will be 3 on the 21st
of this month. Breanna turned 1 in Jan. We did a BBQ for that of course,
and yes, we had all the trimmings. I thought of you and Charlie when
making the sauce!

How's your
winter tan coming along?

What winter tan? We actually had some cold weather, but not much. I was
really hoping for a bit of snow for the kids to play in some, but the
only time we had flurries here, it was about mid-night and they were
long fast asleep. The weather has been so wishy-washy with cold one day
and warm the next, that it's wrecked havoc on allergies, so I've not
really be out too much. Trying to keep the kids in so they will stay
well. Only one visit to the doctor this winter so far, and I want to
keep it that way.

Here, on the other coast, we've had a wet, but not exceptionally wet,
winter so far. If we don't get anymore rain, it will be just sorta
average.

You gonna be able to put in a garden this year or are you to busy
raising your family to fight "Mother Nature"?

Ha! I will put something in, just not sure of how much yet. Gotta have
the staples...beans, peas, peppers, cukes, maters, okra, and zukes!
Breanna is big enough that she can be out and about some when that time
comes around. We will be moving, so I'm not sure yet how that will
affect planting. We are in the process of buying a house & small farm
(105 acres), but at least it's bigger than our current place!

Thinking I may have to do some raised bed techniques, and some 5-gallon
buckets for the earlier crops. Any ideas or thoughts on that? I'm not
sure if I want to follow my grandfather's ritual of planting on Good
Friday this year or not. That's right around the corner and weather
still isn't quite right. I've been bit by the planting bug though! Can't
wait to get started!

Well, I smell a little stinker...Shew!

Catch ya later, watch that fence post there now. Gotta get round to
replacing it! lol

~Rae
Old 06-03-2008, 06:41 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 21:46:18 -0800, Billy wrote:

Just like gardening, you gotta prepare the bed. So it probably ain't
gonna happen real soon but I'm gonna lean up against this fence and see
who comes by. Never can tell.

Hey neighbor!

This should give you pause to think about what we have been learnt and
illustrate some other points about what we have possibly "learnt" in
our lifetimes. This article may make your ribs much more enjoyable
and make you wonder about all kinds of things.

http://alternet.org/healthwellness/78554/

Leanin' on the fence and enjoying the sunshine
Chuckling Charlie

Good but disturbing read. This information has been leaking out for
awhile. Trouble is that I only have one guinea pig to play with, and I'd
miss me if I was gone.

You gonna chuck in your statins? Having steak and eggs, and fried
potatoes for breakfast, huh, are ya, kid?

Getting more mature and becoming more conservative (not necessarily
politically) seems to go hand in hand.

Lordy, lordy, what's a feller to do? At least it makes me fell a little
better about some of my nutritional indiscretions. Which, except for a
little gas, are the only indiscretions in which I partake these days.
But I remember back in the days of yesteryear when I'd . . . . Humm. I'd
probably better give ol' alligator mouth a rest.

Sweet article tho. Basically, it says we got a problem, and we know how
to make money off of the problem, but we don't know what the problem is
or how to fix it (cholesterol --- cardiovascular disease?, probably not)

Sounds like it is leading us back to Michael Pollan and his discussion
on macro nutrients (carbs, fats, and proteins) and macro vitamins (A, B,
C, D, etc.) and his musings over the elevated levels of flavonoids (and
anthocyanins?) in organically grown food, and our present
omega-6/omega-3 ratio of ten (10), where historically it was one (1).
The omega-6/omega-3 ratio apparently can be fixed by eating more leaves
and much less grain or eating more things that eat more leaves and much
less grain. I'm still dragging my heels on grass feed beef because I'd
have to buy a quarter and find cold storage for it. Mean time, I'm
probably eating high omega-6 smoked turkey to excess.

Then they have to throw alcohol raising triglycerides, at me. I mean,
I've given up rich foods, like my gorgonzola schnitzel, and fast women
(my legs aren't what they used to be), now I have to give up the one
companion that I thought could follow me into that dark night?

There otta be a law.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:01 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

Billy wrote:

You gonna be able to put in a garden this year or are you to busy
raising your family to fight "Mother Nature"?

Ha! I will put something in, just not sure of how much yet. Gotta have
the staples...beans, peas, peppers, cukes, maters, okra, and zukes!
Breanna is big enough that she can be out and about some when that time
comes around. We will be moving, so I'm not sure yet how that will
affect planting. We are in the process of buying a house & small farm
(105 acres), but at least it's bigger than our current place!

Hay business can't be all that bad or is your husband workin' 24/7?
A question always comes to mind for us west coast people, and that is,
other than gumbo, how do you cook okra?

Thinking I may have to do some raised bed techniques, and some 5-gallon
buckets for the earlier crops. Any ideas or thoughts on that? I'm not
sure if I want to follow my grandfather's ritual of planting on Good
Friday this year or not. That's right around the corner and weather
still isn't quite right. I've been bit by the planting bug though! Can't
wait to get started!

Sounds like you should be planting portables (pots and buckets and
such). If the new house isn't to far away, maybe you could start
preparing the ground there. You could give the present owner some token
sum of money for rent so that it wouldn't be misconstrued as taking
possession.

Well, I smell a little stinker...Shew!

Wasn't me!

Old 06-03-2008, 07:16 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Bill wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

A little parsley is always nice, too. I don't know anyone that
uses a whole parsley "bunch" at a time. If'n you're gonna plant parsley,
you may as well plant some tarragon, oregano, and thyme while your at
it. Aw hell, your half way to a "potager" as the "Frogs" call it. May as
well lay in some shallots, rosemary, and sage too. Try to keep them
close to the kitchen.

Hope you got a lot of pots. This may be gettin' a little out of control.

I'm havin' a hard time coming up with "runner" peanuts. Any ideas? If it
comes to you, I'll be back here, leanin' on the fence and trying to
wear-in a sweet spot.

Are you going to Scarborough fair.. Parsley Sage rosemary and time
popped in head.

Ah, fair Scarborough.

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/s...rch&search=gre
ens

or

http://preview.tinyurl.com/3cdm8t

No peanuts, goobers, or ground nuts there.
Gurney has Virginia peanuts. Disease resistant and big.

Henery Field's got Improved Virginia (like the above) and
Early Spanish Peanuts, which are prone to disease and small.

Runner peanuts are supposed to be the state of the art for peanut flavor
but I can't find them anywhere. Even looked a big commercial site
(farming) and couldn't find them.

Cultivars of Runners include 'Southeastern Runner 56-15', 'Dixie
Runner', 'Early Runner', 'Virginia Bunch 67', 'Bradford Runner',
'Egyptian Giant' (also known as 'Virginia Bunch' and 'Giant'),
'Rhodesian Spanish Bunch' (Valencia and Virginia Bunch), 'North Carolina
Runner 56-15', 'Georgia Green', 'Flavor Runner 458', 'Tamrun OL01',
'Tamrun OL02' and 'AT-108'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peanut

Cheese yielded

Gorgonzola Cheesecake

You are dispicable. Probably would be excellent with port.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:35 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

You are dispicable. Probably would be excellent with port.

But today is my 60 th birthday. Still despicable is better than
crotchety. )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arachis_glabrata

But not for people ;((.

Bill

Old 06-03-2008, 07:37 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:

Hay business can't be all that bad or is your husband workin' 24/7?

Ha! It really was, only about $11,000 last year, that's total, before
any taxes. And he's nearly working 24/7, put in 163 hours in the last
two weeks, and it will be picking up more soon. He works outside of our
business for a local big-time farmer, and that pays pretty good for
around here. That farmer deals in everything, from row crops to hogs and
turkeys. Got a good deal on the house and land as well.

A question always comes to mind for us west coast people, and that is,
other than gumbo, how do you cook okra?

Slice, batter, and fry,
stir fry, boil, grill, steamed (baby okras)...

Sounds like you should be planting portables (pots and buckets and
such). If the new house isn't to far away, maybe you could start
preparing the ground there. You could give the present owner some token
sum of money for rent so that it wouldn't be misconstrued as taking
possession.

the pots and buckets was what I was thinking on. Be easier to tend to
everyday and easy to move.

Well, I smell a little stinker...Shew!

Wasn't me!

Are you sure about that?? lol! No, I'm surprised you didn't smell that
one all the way over to where you are at...let's just say...it was very
strong!

Old 06-03-2008, 07:57 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Bill wrote:
In article
,
Billy wrote:

You are dispicable. Probably would be excellent with port.

But today is my 60 th birthday. Still despicable is better than
crotchety. )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arachis_glabrata

But not for people ;((.

Bill

Hey Bill,
Just butting in to say,
Happy Birthday!
Hope you are having a great day, it sure sounds as if you are!
~Rae
Old 06-03-2008, 08:37 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

Bill wrote:
In article
,
Billy wrote:

You are dispicable. Probably would be excellent with port.

But today is my 60 th birthday. Still despicable is better than
crotchety. )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arachis_glabrata

But not for people ;((.

Bill

Hey Bill,
Just butting in to say,
Happy Birthday!
Hope you are having a great day, it sure sounds as if you are!
~Rae

Actually it has been a great day. My dad 84 went for blood work and
did some shopping after surgery last week. Bladder stone stuff. This by
himself. Tough Marine. He stopped by today via car and he lives 150
yards from me.

Here we have a few plants that are starting to show Bloom. My plumber
stopped by this Am and I can hold him off for a few months. My wife is
buying me dinner and all my kids will be here Saturday .

ALSO MY DAD SAID I CAN STEAL HIS COMPOST PILE. 20X40X5

Heave I'm in Heaven.

Bill

Bill

Old 06-03-2008, 08:48 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 11:16:48 -0800, Billy wrote:

No peanuts, goobers, or ground nuts there.
Gurney has Virginia peanuts. Disease resistant and big.

Henery Field's got Improved Virginia (like the above) and
Early Spanish Peanuts, which are prone to disease and small.

Runner peanuts are supposed to be the state of the art for peanut flavor
but I can't find them anywhere. Even looked a big commercial site
(farming) and couldn't find them.

I wonder about these from Thailand.....

http://rareseeds.com/search.php

try google "peanuts thailand"

Charlie

Yeah, I saw that. For the time bein' I'm huntin' 'Merican peanuts.
Thanks for the search:-)