Old 18-05-2008, 04:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Couple of tree questons

How come it takes more than one season for a transplanted pecan sapling to
establish itself, and start producing stems/leaves of any appreciable
amount?

How come among the many ligustrums I planted, the ones furtherest from tree
and other natural cover are being eaten by white-tailed deer/ ones in the
vincity of such cover aren't bothered?
--
Dave

Parkinson's disease, not easy to define.
Much less cure.

Old 18-05-2008, 05:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

Good questions. i do not have the answer.
"Dioclese" NONE wrote in message
m...
How come it takes more than one season for a transplanted pecan sapling to
establish itself, and start producing stems/leaves of any appreciable
amount?

Energy management?

How come among the many ligustrums I planted, the ones furtherest from
tree and other natural cover are being eaten by white-tailed deer/ ones in
the vincity of such cover aren't bothered?

Could it be predisposition of some sort? A long time question of mine.
If you find out please let me know.

John

Old 18-05-2008, 03:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Dioclese" NONE wrote in message
m...
How come it takes more than one season for a transplanted pecan sapling to
establish itself, and start producing stems/leaves of any appreciable
amount?

It takes at least one, if not more, seasons to reestablish a root system to
promote full and health growth. Plus the damage done in the transplanting
needs to be off set.

How come among the many ligustrums I planted, the ones furtherest from
tree and other natural cover are being eaten by white-tailed deer/ ones in
the vincity of such cover aren't bothered?

Possibly a self defense mechanism, less cover for preditors to hide in and
attack from.

Old 19-05-2008, 05:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

Correct this one, stick it where the sun don't shine, buttercup.

Persephone wrote in message

news:KJCdnfeKdMMZOrLVnZ2dnUVZ_vSdnZ2d@earthlink. com...
How come it takes more than one season for a transplanted pecan sapling
establish itself, and start producing stems/leaves of any appreciable
amount?

It takes at least one, if not more, seasons to reestablish a root system
promote full and health

Healthy

growth. Plus the damage done in the transplanting
needs to be off set.

How come among the many ligustrums I planted, the ones furtherest

Furthest

from
tree and other natural cover are being eaten by white-tailed deer/ ones
in
the vincity of such cover aren't bothered?

Vicinity

Possibly a self defense mechanism, less cover for preditors to hide in and
attack from.

PredAtors.

(stop me before I strike again... heellllp!)

Persephone

Old 20-05-2008, 02:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

Persephone

I agree that words are important. If you cannot get the spelling correctly,
how would they expect us to understand what they are saying? They really do
not care about being misunderstood. Maybe that is from a lack of
understanding?

I respect your post and your points. Please visit www.treedictionary.com
and if you happen to find - "misspelled" words - please let me know and
when I hear from you I will make corrections. You can post them to the list
for the whole world to criticize or just in email viewed in the special room
of the Bush Administration, where they monitor our emails. Thank you. My
worry is being misunderstood, a great deal more than any criticism.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Sun, 18 May 2008 18:20:32 -0700, Persephone wrote:

On Sun, 18 May 2008 18:10:40 -0500, Jangchub
wrote:

On Sun, 18 May 2008 10:36:21 -0700, Persephone wrote:

On Sun, 18 May 2008 10:04:33 -0500, Jangchub
wrote:

Pecan's take a while to establish their tap root. It pretty much
takes most of the trees energy to do this.

J.C., you have an apostrophe where none is needed in "pecan's", but
don't have one where it IS needed, in "trees [energy]".

Deer are forbes eaters and will eat anything when hungry. The plants
they aren't eating may have spray from cats or other animals on them
which will deterr them.

Deter - one "r".

Many factors.

What is a "forbes eater"? I couldn't find it via search engine.
Do you perchance mean "forage"? Honest question.

If you are not a native speaker, excuse entire message.

Persephone

will u now edit all my post's, oops, posts? thanx, but no thanx. I
spelled forbs incorrectly. wot is ur pernt? have nothing to do!"?*$

I honestly never heard of "forbes" before, and just wanted to learn
something new that would be useful in the garden. Now that you've
given the correct pronunciation, I have looked it up and learned
something new.

Persephone

...after you corrected my spelling. thanx. my new mission in life is
to be grammer and splling incorrect in every powst. If you couldn't
find out what a forb was during a search for deer/forbes, you are full
of crap. I don't like what you did. I didn't give you correct
pronunciation. I gave you the correct spelling. They are both
pronounced the same way. I'm done here.

Old 20-05-2008, 04:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

Ah, rainman has met his equal.

Persephone wrote in message
On Mon, 19 May 2008 21:57:48 -0400, "symplastless"
wrote:

Persephone

I agree that words are important. If you cannot get the spelling
correctly,
how would they expect us to understand what they are saying? They really
do
not care about being misunderstood. Maybe that is from a lack of
understanding?

Well, maybe...Actually I think it is a radical change in values over
the last few decades. People used to admire and value clear, eloquent
speech and correct spelling/grammar. But those same folks are now
routinely castigated, [especially if they go briefly snap enough to
post corrections on an unrelated NG g]

Note that it's not entirely the fault of the castigators. Most do not
know any better, and don't want to know.

They may have been formed in homes where good language
is not prized, and certainly in schools which all too often toady
to the "self-esteem" PC teaching philosophy which
doesn't demand study and performance; doesn't imbue in the
learner the idea that "good enough" is NOT good enough; instead have
to settle for "anything goes" as long as the student doesn't drop out
and lose them the ADA (average daily attendance) money.
Caring teachers must go quietly mad, considering what they
have to deal with.

Note that the same people who don't care about good writing --
about the difference between correct and incorrect grammar -- in fact
can get quite ugly about it if pointed out -- would object furiously
if somone suggested that a metric tool is just as good as a US tool on
a car engine. He (usually) cares passionately about the difference in
performance of Athletes A and B. He swears by his beer vs. your beer.

I'm deliberately oversimplifying, of course -- indeed, caricaturing!

Most of us have learned to keep our yaps shut; it's gone so far that
there really is little point in trying to help; it's not appreciated,
to put it mildly. I was brought up to thank anyone who taught me
something. But now... pearls before...uh, YOU know...!

I understand that teachers now have to have to explain to students
that the special "texting" language is not appropriate for school,
even university, papers.

I respect your post and your points. Please visit www.treedictionary.com
and if you happen to find - "misspelled" words - please let me know and
when I hear from you I will make corrections. You can post them to the
list
for the whole world to criticize or just in email viewed in the special
room
of the Bush Administration, where they monitor our emails. Thank you. My
worry is being misunderstood, a great deal more than any criticism.

Gwacious! Someone who values correct writing...!

(I just picked up an expensive-looking sign from our local recycling
center. It has the greengrocer's apostrophe. (It's instead of Its).
You'd think somebody would proofread before spending my tax
money. Proofread? What's that... g)

Aspasia

Old 20-05-2008, 01:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Didn't realize that I had so many spelling mistakes. I don't use a
spell-check option in posts, type on the fly. Thank you for pointing that
out.

Was thinking the same thing too, predators.

Settling in for a long, hot summer. Have to keep the newly planted
ligustrums watered according to one weblink I read. Same link said first
year is critical for ligustrum transplants. The "deer resistant" ligustrum
seems to be subject to the deer's liberal browsing as well. The vicinity
side is about 20 feet from trees and cover, the other side is on the other
side of the driveway which is clearcut and nearer to their old
grazing/roaming path before I moved here. Learned something, makes me look
forward to tomorrow. Enjoy your day.

Jang, its all good.
--
Dave

Old 20-05-2008, 02:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

"D. Staples" wrote in
omsupplyinc:

Ah, rainman has met his equal.

you know, as someone with autism, i really resent that sort of
statement. while many Asperger folks can be pedantic about their
interests, not everyone who has an interest in good spelling &
grammar or mathmatics is a "rainman".
lee
Old 20-05-2008, 03:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
"D. Staples" wrote in
omsupplyinc:

Ah, rainman has met his equal.

you know, as someone with autism, i really resent that sort of
statement. while many Asperger folks can be pedantic about their
interests, not everyone who has an interest in good spelling &
grammar or mathmatics is a "rainman".
lee

Only Keslick, lee, only Keslick.

Old 20-05-2008, 03:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Persephone

I agree that words are important. If you cannot get the spelling
correctly,
how would they expect us to understand what they are saying? They really
do
not care about being misunderstood. Maybe that is from a lack of
understanding?

I respect your post and your points. Please visit www.treedictionary.com
and if you happen to find - "misspelled" words - please let me know and
when I hear from you I will make corrections. You can post them to the
list
for the whole world to criticize or just in email viewed in the special
room
of the Bush Administration, where they monitor our emails. Thank you. My
worry is being misunderstood, a great deal more than any criticism.

You have misspelled words before my dear. Don't try to glom on. It's
unbecoming a professional. YOU should edit your professional website.

He's got a "professional" website?

Old 20-05-2008, 04:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

Jangchub wrote in
news
It might interest you, persephone, Kurt Vonnegut couldn't
spell worth a lick, nor could Anne Rice, or Stephen King.
I don't think that ruined their ability to connect
thoughts. Content is everything. If you are very busy
correcting you may miss the fun of reading. That's sad.

if *someone* wasn't correcting (the editor) then *you* would
be missing the fun of reading, because parsing things badly
edited is laborious.

lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
Old 20-05-2008, 04:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Persephone
wrote:

As I wrote earlier, I was brought up to appreciate anyone who
will teach me something.

Very Chinese. Too consider everyone we come in contact with as a
teacher. Some teach what to do others what not to do.

sagacity
n 1: ability to make good judgments [syn: {sagaciousness},
{judgment},
{judgement}, {discernment}]
2: the trait of forming opinions by distinguishing and
evaluating [syn: {judiciousness}, {sagaciousness}]

Wonderful heady stuff.

Some music below my brother told me about.

Beauty Is Everywhere 6:33 I-Ching Of The Marsh and The Moon

Bill who is making stuffed peppers for tomorrow.

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Neat place .. http://www.petersvalley.org/
Old 21-05-2008, 06:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

You mean its'?
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars
Old 21-05-2008, 06:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
enigma wrote:

"D. Staples" wrote in
omsupplyinc:

Ah, rainman has met his equal.

you know, as someone with autism, i really resent that sort of
statement. while many Asperger folks can be pedantic about their
interests, not everyone who has an interest in good spelling &
grammar or mathmatics is a "rainman".
lee

You mean not everyone is persnickety?
--