Old 26-04-2003, 03:32 AM
JourneyDancer

Default Can anyone identify these?

Can anyone identify these pretty blue flowers?

http://www.wildfiregroup.com/flowers

They grow in my backyard in Boston, MA.

They come up in the very early spring in clusters, and last about a
week or so before they flowers die off. They look like clumps of grass
when the flowers fall off.

If you dig them up, you find small bulbs that are really easy and fun
to transplant.

I've been through a number of plant identification books, and I can't
find them.

Old 26-04-2003, 03:08 PM

wrote:

Chionodoxa sardensis, aka Gentian Blue

I dunno. I've looked for flowers in the Gentian family in a number of
resources, and 1) I have yet to see a picture like the one I took, and
2) everywhere else says that Gentians are a summer/fall flower, but
the one's I have always come up in very early spring.

Old 26-04-2003, 04:20 PM
Julia Green

"JourneyDancer" wrote in message
Can anyone identify these pretty blue flowers?

http://www.wildfiregroup.com/flowers

They look like some type of Scilla Siberica. I planted a bunch of these
among my naturalized daffs.

Old 26-04-2003, 04:56 PM
JourneyDancer

"JourneyDancer" wrote in message
Can anyone identify these pretty blue flowers?

http://www.wildfiregroup.com/flowers

They look like some type of Scilla Siberica. I planted a bunch of these
among my naturalized daffs.

I found a ton of pictures of Scilla Siberica - all of their flowers
sort of droop downwards to face the ground. Whatever it is that I
have, the flowers face upwards.

Old 26-04-2003, 06:44 PM
SugarChile

You're letting the common name confuse you. They are not the summer/fall
flowers, they are just sometimes called "gentian blue" because the color is
similar.

They look exactly like chionodoxa to me as well. They seed themselves about
and naturalize quite nicely. There's also a pink variety, with slightly
larger flowers. The one and only problem that I have with them is that the
voles eat them in years when we have snow cover all winter, like this last
winter. So I have very few flowers this year; however, the voles seem to
miss the smaller bulbs, and my population will rebound in a year or two.

Cheers,
Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

Old 26-04-2003, 07:32 PM
Ann

"David J. Bockman" expounded:

Chionodoxa sardensis, aka Gentian Blue

I was going to say Chionodoxa siehei, I have them wild in my front
yard.
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 27-04-2003, 12:56 AM
David J. Bockman

Actually I'm not certain they're sardensis, although they certainly appear
to be. Chionodoxa they certainly are.

Dave

"David J. Bockman" expounded:

Old 27-04-2003, 01:32 PM
JourneyDancer

Actually I'm not certain they're sardensis, although they certainly appear
to be. Chionodoxa they certainly are.

Ah ha! When I did some searching for Chionodoxa sardensis, I did find
photos that look just like my plants!