Old 22-05-2003, 03:08 PM
Ian

Default What is growing with my Spirea?

Okay, this plant was growing right with my Spirea. Pulled it out and moved
it, keeping it separate for now until I see what it is.

Anyone have a guess at this?

http://www.quickmire.com/temp/spireawhat1.jpg

Have also noticed more of it growing alongside the Spirea. The roots of this
plant were long and totally intertwined with the Spirea's.

While I'm at this guessing game, can someone make a guess on these 2
unknowns:

The following is where I planted a fan fern last year. Only other thing that
was once there were some tulips.

http://www.quickmire.com/temp/plantwhat1.jpg

And these 2 long leaves are also where some tulips were planted a few years
ago, but I thought I had gotten all the bulbs.

http://www.quickmire.com/temp/plantwhat2.jpg

Always curious to know what it is that likes my garden seeing 1/3 of what I
purposely plant doesn't! grin

Old 22-05-2003, 05:08 PM
paghat

In article . rogers.com,
"Ian" wrote:

Okay, this plant was growing right with my Spirea. Pulled it out and moved
it, keeping it separate for now until I see what it is.

Anyone have a guess at this?

http://www.quickmire.com/temp/spireawhat1.jpg

So many things have that sort of ferny leaf, but if it is wild it could be
some variety of turkey corn (corydalis), there being many weedy species as
well as gardened species; if it gets nice flowers you'll know.

http://www.quickmire.com/temp/plantwhat1.jpg

Looks a bit like a solomon seal or a false solomon seal.

http://www.quickmire.com/temp/plantwhat2.jpg

Those are either from tulip bulb offsets not yet well developed, or from
completely worn-out bulbs.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 22-05-2003, 05:08 PM

"Ian" wrote:
http://www.quickmire.com/temp/spireawhat1.jpg

.... I think that is wild geranium or cranesbill?

http://www.quickmire.com/temp/plantwhat1.jpg

.... looks like hosta

And these 2 long leaves are also where some tulips were planted a few years
ago, but I thought I had gotten all the bulbs.

http://www.quickmire.com/temp/plantwhat2.jpg

... yeah, those could be tulips

Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 22-05-2003, 07:20 PM
Garrapata

On Thu, 22 May 2003 13:59:19 GMT, "Ian"
wrote:

Anyone have a guess at this?

http://www.quickmire.com/temp/spireawhat1.jpg

Herb Robert - Geranium robertianum
Old 22-05-2003, 07:56 PM
Ian

wrote:

Anyone have a guess at this?

http://www.quickmire.com/temp/spireawhat1.jpg

Herb Robert - Geranium robertianum

The leaves look similar, but from the pics I found online, mine seems much
lighter than the Herb Robert.

Old 22-05-2003, 08:08 PM
Ian

"paghat" wrote in message
news
In article . rogers.com,
"Ian" wrote:

Okay, this plant was growing right with my Spirea. Pulled it out and

moved
it, keeping it separate for now until I see what it is.

Anyone have a guess at this?

http://www.quickmire.com/temp/spireawhat1.jpg

So many things have that sort of ferny leaf, but if it is wild it could be
some variety of turkey corn (corydalis), there being many weedy species as
well as gardened species; if it gets nice flowers you'll know.

The leaves look somewhat different. As Garrapata speculated, might be Herb
Robert - Geranium robertianum, except the examples of Herb Robert I found
online are darker than my speciman.

http://www.quickmire.com/temp/plantwhat1.jpg

Looks a bit like a solomon seal or a false solomon seal.

Yup, this it could be. Guess it needs to grow a tad more.

http://www.quickmire.com/temp/plantwhat2.jpg

Those are either from tulip bulb offsets not yet well developed, or from
completely worn-out bulbs.

That's what I thought. Those bulbs never fully bloomed when we first put
them in. Maybe I'll dig them out and thus see if they are bulb-based.

Old 22-05-2003, 08:08 PM
Doug Kanter

Nice pictures! Are they scanned prints, or from a digital camera? If the
latter, what brand & model?

Old 22-05-2003, 08:08 PM
Ian

wrote in message
"Ian" wrote:
http://www.quickmire.com/temp/spireawhat1.jpg

... I think that is wild geranium or cranesbill?

The leaves look too different from wild geraniums.

http://www.quickmire.com/temp/plantwhat1.jpg

... looks like hosta

No, not unless it is a type of Hosta I have never seen.

And these 2 long leaves are also where some tulips were planted a few

years
ago, but I thought I had gotten all the bulbs.

http://www.quickmire.com/temp/plantwhat2.jpg

.. yeah, those could be tulips

Think they are tulips from a bad group of bulbs.

Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 22-05-2003, 08:20 PM
Ian

Digital Camera, Canon Pro90is. Not a bad camera, but many newer models out
now are better.

t...

Old 22-05-2003, 08:20 PM
Doug Kanter

"Ian" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
Okay, this plant was growing right with my Spirea. Pulled it out and moved
it, keeping it separate for now until I see what it is.

Anyone have a guess at this?

http://www.quickmire.com/temp/spireawhat1.jpg

The leaves look like Rue (Ruta graveolens), but not the stems. Hmmm. Strong,
odd scent when you pulverize a bit of leaf between your fingers?

Old 22-05-2003, 09:44 PM
Ann

"Ian" expounded:

Okay, this plant was growing right with my Spirea. Pulled it out and moved
it, keeping it separate for now until I see what it is.

Anyone have a guess at this?

http://www.quickmire.com/temp/spireawhat1.jpg

It looks like one of the Erodiums, which is weedy as hell for me
around here. It's a relative of the wild geraniums, which is why it
resembles them.

Have also noticed more of it growing alongside the Spirea. The roots of this
plant were long and totally intertwined with the Spirea's.

See above G

While I'm at this guessing game, can someone make a guess on these 2
unknowns:

The following is where I planted a fan fern last year. Only other thing that
was once there were some tulips.

http://www.quickmire.com/temp/plantwhat1.jpg

Sould be Solomon Seal, but it loks more like Smilacina racemosa, False
Solomon Seal. Need to see the flowers to be sure.

And these 2 long leaves are also where some tulips were planted a few years
ago, but I thought I had gotten all the bulbs.

http://www.quickmire.com/temp/plantwhat2.jpg

Those could be spent tulip bulbs, they'll send up leaves for years
without flowers, although they're usually big, fat leaves.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 22-05-2003, 10:20 PM
Ian

"Ann" wrote in message
"Ian" expounded:

Okay, this plant was growing right with my Spirea. Pulled it out and

moved
it, keeping it separate for now until I see what it is.

Anyone have a guess at this?

http://www.quickmire.com/temp/spireawhat1.jpg

It looks like one of the Erodiums, which is weedy as hell for me
around here. It's a relative of the wild geraniums, which is why it
resembles them.

Good chance it is Erodium. My speciman is still too young to see the full
leaf definition, but it does have the general leaf structure, and has the
hairy stems (notice how much of a newbie I am!)

Have also noticed more of it growing alongside the Spirea. The roots of

this
plant were long and totally intertwined with the Spirea's.

See above G

While I'm at this guessing game, can someone make a guess on these 2
unknowns:

The following is where I planted a fan fern last year. Only other thing

that
was once there were some tulips.

http://www.quickmire.com/temp/plantwhat1.jpg

Sould be Solomon Seal, but it loks more like Smilacina racemosa, False
Solomon Seal. Need to see the flowers to be sure.

I think this is a good possibility, will have to see when or if this
flowers.

Old 22-05-2003, 10:20 PM
Ian

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
t...
"Ian" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
Okay, this plant was growing right with my Spirea. Pulled it out and

moved
it, keeping it separate for now until I see what it is.

Anyone have a guess at this?

http://www.quickmire.com/temp/spireawhat1.jpg

The leaves look like Rue (Ruta graveolens), but not the stems. Hmmm.

Strong,
odd scent when you pulverize a bit of leaf between your fingers?

No, the scent doesn't match your description. How about Erodium as per Ann?

Old 22-05-2003, 10:20 PM
Ian

Solomon's Seal seems to get the most votes. Will have to see if it flowers
as to what it is.

"Ian" wrote:

http://www.quickmire.com/temp/plantwhat1.jpg

... looks like hosta

No, not unless it is a type of Hosta I have never seen.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

[IMG] code is On

Spirea Mellow Yellow Cheryl Isaak Gardening 5 05-08-2004 12:25 AM
Starting spirea Allview Gardening 5 29-04-2004 05:04 PM
Pruning Blue Spirea (caryopteris) and Buddelia (Butterfly bush) Louis Ohland Gardening 2 13-10-2003 07:02 PM
what's invading my spirea xcitor Gardening 9 08-05-2003 02:32 PM
Pruning a Spirea Serena Blanchflower United Kingdom 3 25-02-2003 01:27 PM