Old 21-08-2008, 04:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Beans

So...I let my bean crop get away from me. I usually harvest them when
they're small and really tender. This year because of multiple family
commitments, a pile of them got way too large.

I opened the dried out pods and saved the beans on paper towels. Need
I do anything else to dry out the beans? Most of them are white, but
some have a greenish tinge- are they OK cook up in chile or something?
This is all new ground for me, so any advice is welcome.

I have the most ass-backwards garden on the planet this year. I have
picked ONE tomato and 3 cukes and 2 eggplants, and it is the middle of
August. But I have 4 ripe pumpkins. Go figure.

Chris
Old 21-08-2008, 04:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

Chris wrote:
So...I let my bean crop get away from me. I usually harvest them when
they're small and really tender. This year because of multiple family
commitments, a pile of them got way too large.

I opened the dried out pods and saved the beans on paper towels. Need
I do anything else to dry out the beans? Most of them are white, but
some have a greenish tinge- are they OK cook up in chile or something?
This is all new ground for me, so any advice is welcome.

If it's dried beans you want it's best to let those overlooked beans
dry on the vine. Those you harvest prematurely can be frozen and used
in soups/stews... naturally chili is a stew so those *fresh* beans can
be added, just don't cook them as long as dried. Fresh beans are the
same as those you find in bags in the frozen food section... often in
the various frozen veggie mixes.

I have the most ass-backwards garden on the planet this year. I have
picked ONE tomato and 3 cukes and 2 eggplants, and it is the middle of
August. But I have 4 ripe pumpkins. Go figure.

If you're in the north east US nights have been much too cool this
summer and it looks like a very early fall... here in upstate NY
they've begun apple picking, a month early.

Old 21-08-2008, 04:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Sheldon wrote:

Chris wrote:
[...]

Mad Man over in accuweather suggests 08/09 will be a cold winter.

This is august 21 and I had to close the windows last night. No
humidity in our classic dog days time. Feels great but seems weird.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Old 21-08-2008, 04:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

Sheldon wrote in

oups.com:

If you're in the north east US nights have been much too
cool this summer and it looks like a very early fall...
here in upstate NY they've begun apple picking, a month
early.

you really can't be so ignorant that you don't know apple
harvesting *normally* begins in August, with a few non-
commercial varieties ripening as early as late July.
lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
Old 21-08-2008, 11:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 21, 11:32 am, Sheldon wrote:
Chris wrote:
So...I let my bean crop get away from me. I usually harvest them when
they're small and really tender. This year because of multiple family
commitments, a pile of them got way too large.

I opened the dried out pods and saved the beans on paper towels. Need
I do anything else to dry out the beans? Most of them are white, but
some have a greenish tinge- are they OK cook up in chile or something?
This is all new ground for me, so any advice is welcome.

If it's dried beans you want it's best to let those overlooked beans
dry on the vine. Those you harvest prematurely can be frozen and used
in soups/stews... naturally chili is a stew so those *fresh* beans can
be added, just don't cook them as long as dried. Fresh beans are the
same as those you find in bags in the frozen food section... often in
the various frozen veggie mixes.

Thanks, that's what I needed.

I have the most ass-backwards garden on the planet this year. I have
picked ONE tomato and 3 cukes and 2 eggplants, and it is the middle of
August. But I have 4 ripe pumpkins. Go figure.

If you're in the north east US nights have been much too cool this
summer and it looks like a very early fall... here in upstate NY
they've begun apple picking, a month early.

heh yup, sounds familiar- I am in downstate NY.

Chris