Old 29-08-2008, 09:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Cucumbers - lotta vine, no fruit

Anybody else in So. Calif coastal have this prob? Two varieties of
cucumber - one "regular", one lemon cuke. Gorgeous vines with
beaucoup blooms. ONE *&*&^%ing cuke from each variety.
Please share your wisdom. Tx!

Hypatia
Old 30-08-2008, 05:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

The only cukes I have that are producing are some Japanese cukes I got from
rareseeds.com. They are putting out beautiful 16" cukes that are only one
inch in diameter. Absolutely wonderful. The rest of my cukes are taking over
the general area, but no fruit yet. Melons are doing the same - lotsa vines,
no fruit, few flowers.

Old 30-08-2008, 02:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Zootal" wrote in
:

The only cukes I have that are producing are some Japanese
cukes I got from rareseeds.com. They are putting out
beautiful 16" cukes that are only one inch in diameter.
Absolutely wonderful. The rest of my cukes are taking over
the general area, but no fruit yet. Melons are doing the
same - lotsa vines, no fruit, few flowers.

my lemon cukes are taking over the garden & producing like
mad. my Jimmy's White cukes are making lots of male flowers,
but no female flowers.
somehow i have an Asian Tiger melon growing in the cukes row,
& it's also setting fruit like crazy, while the Asian melons
in their own corner only have 2 fruits on 6 vines...
my tomatoes look wonderful, or they would if it were the end
of July rather than the end of August i'm seriously
considering putting a temporary greenhouse over the tomato
rows...
lee has a dozen black swallowtail caterpillers on the dill
right now. i plant extra for them
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
Old 01-09-2008, 02:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 30, 6:57 am, enigma wrote:
"Zootal" wrote om:

[...]

Thanks for interesting & varied results. I may have another 2-3
lemon cukes under way, so stay tuned! They have such a wonderful,
mild flavor. For the person who suggested it was too cool -- nah, not
here. We have had unusually icky weather. So Calif coastal is
supposed to be dry, but there have been days you'd think you were in
Hong Kong! Gets to where I go out in the garden morning and evening,
but stay inside during the hot part of the day.

As to tomatoes: I got a lotta seeds in the mail from my Canadian
friend, but they didn't take. What DID take? I bought two gorgeous
Hibiscus -- the ones that aren't really Hibiscus; have blue flowers;
name escapes me -- and potted them up w/my own mix of home-made
compost, just plain dirt, and perlite. Tomatoes came up in droves!
I am constantly transplanting them to veg garden in back, where they
are fruiting up a storm. Maybe this year I'll get to use that darling
Italian tomato press I bought a few years back -- another good tomato
year -- when I canned a lot.