Old 09-11-2008, 02:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Banana Plant Question

We would appreciate some assistance please. We live on Long Island, NY, in
zone 7. The last couple of years we have grown a beautiful Banana Plant in a
pot, as an annual, discarding it at the end of each growing season. Recently
we heard that perhaps we could bring it indoors for the winter, place it in
our basement (cool and dark), not water it, and be able to bring it outside
again next spring. We have no desire to grow bananas, but thought that maybe
we could keep the plant alive from year to year in that manner.

Does anyone know if that is possible, and if so, exactly what instructions
we would have to follow in order to do so? Thanks very much in advance.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:35 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bob Bob is offline

I have a drawf banana tree. I have had it for 6 yrs now, I just put it in
the sunroom at my grandparents. It's been doing great gets a little big ever
yr. it will turn a little brown on the leaves and lose some at first.
Bob

Old 09-11-2008, 05:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , "Alan Rubin"
wrote:

We would appreciate some assistance please. We live on Long Island, NY, in
zone 7. The last couple of years we have grown a beautiful Banana Plant in a
pot, as an annual, discarding it at the end of each growing season. Recently
we heard that perhaps we could bring it indoors for the winter, place it in
our basement (cool and dark), not water it, and be able to bring it outside
again next spring. We have no desire to grow bananas, but thought that maybe
we could keep the plant alive from year to year in that manner.

Does anyone know if that is possible, and if so, exactly what instructions
we would have to follow in order to do so? Thanks very much in advance.

I've never grown one, but my neighbor four houses down has a huge patio
arrangement of tropicals of all sorts that don't like the weather when
autumn's in sway. She cuts them back, drags them into the back of a sealed
garage, and drags them back out when spring is warm to start them over.
Some losses occur, but mostly everything comes back and gets bigger each
year.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
visit my temperate gardening website:
http://www.paghat.com
Old 09-11-2008, 06:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Alan Rubin" wrote:

We would appreciate some assistance please. We live on Long Island, NY, in
zone 7. The last couple of years we have grown a beautiful Banana Plant in a
pot, as an annual, discarding it at the end of each growing season. Recently
we heard that perhaps we could bring it indoors for the winter, place it in
our basement (cool and dark), not water it, and be able to bring it outside
again next spring. We have no desire to grow bananas, but thought that maybe
we could keep the plant alive from year to year in that manner.

Does anyone know if that is possible, and if so, exactly what instructions
we would have to follow in order to do so? Thanks very much in advance.

Fairweather Gardens used to have a hardy banana for sell seems not
available now.

Maybe Japanese Banana of interest.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1251/

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey Usa

Wes Groleau wrote
³Change is inevitable.
Conservatives should learn that "inevitable" is not a synonym for "bad."
Liberals need to learn that "inevitable" is not a synonym for "good."

-- WWG

Old 09-11-2008, 06:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

g'day alan,

don't know about in the dark, reckon that would not be good for it.
inside in the warmth yes but it will need good light, maybe one f
those grow lights over it?

On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 09:00:36 -0500, "Alan Rubin"
wrote:
snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

Old 10-11-2008, 12:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

We would appreciate some assistance please. We live on Long Island, NY, in
zone 7. The last couple of years we have grown a beautiful Banana Plant in a
pot, as an annual, discarding it at the end of each growing season. Recently
we heard that perhaps we could bring it indoors for the winter, place it in
our basement (cool and dark), not water it, and be able to bring it outside
again next spring. We have no desire to grow bananas, but thought that maybe
we could keep the plant alive from year to year in that manner.

Does anyone know if that is possible, and if so, exactly what instructions
we would have to follow in order to do so? Thanks very much in advance.

There are some cold-hardy bananas.

http://www.banana-tree.com/Product_D...ct_ID~1243.cfm

- Mark

[IMG] code is On

Banana Tree Question Charles Gardening 6 14-02-2004 07:02 PM
Banana Tree Question Stan Gardening 4 06-11-2003 01:12 AM
Banana Tree Question Stan Lawns 0 23-10-2003 01:02 AM
Banana squash question? Repeating Decimal Edible Gardening 2 14-08-2003 09:32 PM
It germinated! (Banana, that is!) Also pumpkin question Darkginger United Kingdom 6 18-07-2003 03:44 AM