Old 15-03-2009, 03:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Canna lilies

We live in Zone 5. Last Fall we dug up our canna lilies bulbs, and
stored them for the winter. Usually we plant them again as soon as the
soil warms, late April beginning of May. My question : can we start
them indoors in containers to give them an early start? Any
suggestions, please. Thanks!
Ben
Old 15-03-2009, 05:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

BeTu wrote:
We live in Zone 5. Last Fall we dug up our canna lilies bulbs, and
stored them for the winter. Usually we plant them again as soon as the
soil warms, late April beginning of May. My question : can we start
them indoors in containers to give them an early start? Any
suggestions, please. Thanks!
Ben

Yes, you can start them now. Use a light garden mix (potting soil) and
don't over water them. Once that they start spouting, on warm days set
them outside to get them acclimated to the outside temperates.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

"You are never to old to play in the dirt"

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL

Old 15-03-2009, 07:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 3/15/2009 7:36 AM, BeTu wrote:
We live in Zone 5. Last Fall we dug up our canna lilies bulbs, and
stored them for the winter. Usually we plant them again as soon as the
soil warms, late April beginning of May. My question : can we start
them indoors in containers to give them an early start? Any
suggestions, please. Thanks!
Ben

Are they cannas, which are not lilies? Or are they callas, which are
often called lilies? Neither have bulbs; both have rhizomes.

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/.

Don't ask "Why is there road rage?" Instead, ask
"Why NOT Road Rage?" or "Why Is There No Such
Thing as Fast Enough?"
http://www.rossde.com/roadrage.html
Old 15-03-2009, 11:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

They are quite sensitive to frost, so be carefull not to put them out too
early. I leave mine in the ground over winter, and they don't start to grow
until things warm up pretty good. They are hard to kill (other then a good
freeze) - you can till over a patch of them, and the little chunks of tubors
will quite happily grow. I have them popping up in my garden, around the
base of my fruit trees - they grow quite well.

"BeTu" wrote in message
We live in Zone 5. Last Fall we dug up our canna lilies bulbs, and
stored them for the winter. Usually we plant them again as soon as the
soil warms, late April beginning of May. My question : can we start
them indoors in containers to give them an early start? Any
suggestions, please. Thanks!
Ben

[IMG] code is On

Canna Facts and Canna Care BobWalsh Gardening 5 29-05-2011 08:27 PM
Canna lilies - how to kill?? Patricia Pasterham Australia 3 25-02-2006 10:55 AM
Canna lilies BeTu Gardening 14 19-10-2005 06:22 PM
Canna lilies Steve Jackson United Kingdom 5 23-10-2003 08:02 AM
Canna Lilies Mike Gellert Australia 1 29-09-2003 03:22 PM