Old 22-10-2003, 03:32 PM
Steve Jackson

Default Canna lilies

Anyone care to advise on the best way to store these over winter?

many thanks for any replies
--
Steve Jackson
Old 22-10-2003, 03:32 PM
JennyC

"Steve Jackson" wrote in message
Anyone care to advise on the best way to store these over winter?

many thanks for any replies
Steve Jackson

If they are planted deep enough in the ground, and you live in a
sheltered area, they will probably survive in situ.

If in pots:
Wait for them to die back
Remove the foliage
Bring into a frost free place
Start watering in spring and they will start to regrow

More at :
http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/c...804022357.html

Jenny

Old 22-10-2003, 07:02 PM

"JennyC" wrote in message
:
: "Steve Jackson" wrote in message
: ...
: Anyone care to advise on the best way to store these over winter?
:
: many thanks for any replies
: Steve Jackson
:
: If they are planted deep enough in the ground, and you live in a
: sheltered area, they will probably survive in situ.
:
: If in pots:
: Wait for them to die back
: Remove the foliage
: Bring into a frost free place
: Start watering in spring and they will start to regrow
:
: More at :
: http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/c...804022357.html
:
: Jenny
:
I'm sue I read somewhere that if you are going to bring them in they should
be left out to catch the first frost and then be brought in.

I've grown some from seed and this is the second summer they haven't
flowered. I bought one at Hampton Court this year, but that hasn't flowered
either. Is this usual? The former are in the ground and the latter is in a
pot.

Old 22-10-2003, 09:02 PM
Michael Berridge

K wrote in message ...

I'm sue I read somewhere that if you are going to bring them in they

should
be left out to catch the first frost and then be brought in.

I've grown some from seed and this is the second summer they haven't
flowered. I bought one at Hampton Court this year, but that hasn't

flowered
either. Is this usual? The former are in the ground and the latter is

in a
pot.

Most of mine flowered this year, but I did start them in March indoors,
next year I will start them even earlier, and ensure they remain wet at
all times as the best ones I have seen were grown in pots standing in
water all the time.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Old 22-10-2003, 10:02 PM
Franz Heymann

"Michael Berridge" wrote in message

K wrote in message ...

I'm sue I read somewhere that if you are going to bring them in they

should
be left out to catch the first frost and then be brought in.

I've grown some from seed and this is the second summer they haven't
flowered. I bought one at Hampton Court this year, but that hasn't

flowered
either. Is this usual? The former are in the ground and the latter is

in a
pot.

Most of mine flowered this year, but I did start them in March indoors,
next year I will start them even earlier, and ensure they remain wet at
all times as the best ones I have seen were grown in pots standing in
water all the time.

Well, I'm damned. I grew up in the South Eastern corner of the Orange Free
State, right next to the Karoo. We had such infrequent rain that none of my
family possessed raincoats. We had a patch of about 6 ft diameter which was
solid with cannas. They were not watered with any particular regularity.
They were so luxuriant that spadefuls had to be dug out and thrown on a
compost heap each year.

Franz

Old 23-10-2003, 08:02 AM
JennyC

"K" wrote
"JennyC" wrote
: "Steve Jackson" wrote
[...]

I tend to bring them in before the weather turns too bad. I do this
mainly because I want the soil in the pots to be dry instead of sodden
as it tends to get later in the winter. My theory is that they might
rot if they have to sit around in wet soil all winter.

Seeds seem to take ages to flower, but I no idea why your bought one
didn't. You'll just have to wait till next year :~)

Jenny

Canna Facts and Canna Care BobWalsh Gardening 5 29-05-2011 08:27 PM
Canna lilies BeTu Gardening 3 15-03-2009 11:05 PM
Canna lilies - how to kill?? Patricia Pasterham Australia 3 25-02-2006 10:55 AM
Canna lilies BeTu Gardening 14 19-10-2005 06:22 PM
Canna Lilies Mike Gellert Australia 1 29-09-2003 03:22 PM