Old 25-04-2009, 03:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default I'll get those pesky squirrels .............

I have made mouse traps out of five gallon buckets, and a tin can on a wire
stretched over the open end. Wipe peanut butter on the can, and when the
mouse steps out on it, it spins and dumps the mouse in the water.

I have been fighting squirrels all spring. Tomorrow a king size version
goes up, and we'll see how the squirrels do. Going to get two more for
other positions on my property.

Will keep you posted.

Steve

Old 25-04-2009, 04:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

"SteveB" wrote in message
I have made mouse traps out of five gallon buckets, and a tin can on a
wire stretched over the open end. Wipe peanut butter on the can, and
when the mouse steps out on it, it spins and dumps the mouse in the
water.

I have been fighting squirrels all spring. Tomorrow a king size version
goes up, and we'll see how the squirrels do. Going to get two more for
other positions on my property.

Will keep you posted.

Steve

Why?

Why what?

Why are you fighting squirrels?

Old 25-04-2009, 04:39 AM posted to rec.gardens

"SteveB" wrote in message
I have made mouse traps out of five gallon buckets, and a tin can on a
wire stretched over the open end. Wipe peanut butter on the can, and
when the mouse steps out on it, it spins and dumps the mouse in the
water.

I have been fighting squirrels all spring. Tomorrow a king size
version goes up, and we'll see how the squirrels do. Going to get two
more for other positions on my property.

Will keep you posted.

Steve

Why?

Why what?

Why are you fighting squirrels?

Because they come into my property, and will strip an apricot tree in half a
day. They don't eat the meat, they leave that on the ground. They take off
the pits. Same thing with almonds. They eat a lot of stuff, and also
destroy a lot without eating it. They chew their way into the shed and plow
through a bag of feed, eat some, and urinate and defecate in the rest of the
bag while they're in there. We have hantavirus here, and so they bring that
with them.

Other than that, I guess they're pretty okay.

Steve

Old 25-04-2009, 07:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

"SteveB" wrote in message
[...]

Funny, I have to put out a walnut every morning to get Mr. Squirrel to
come say hello.
--

- Billy

Old 25-04-2009, 12:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 20:24:20 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

I have made mouse traps out of five gallon buckets, and a tin can on a wire
stretched over the open end. Wipe peanut butter on the can, and when the
mouse steps out on it, it spins and dumps the mouse in the water.

I have been fighting squirrels all spring. Tomorrow a king size version
goes up, and we'll see how the squirrels do. Going to get two more for
other positions on my property.

Will keep you posted.

Steve

Yesterday a squirrel put his foot on the electrical wire that protects
the vegetable garden. He flipped back 5 feet and scolded the wire. He
then cautiously jumped onto the fence between two electrical wires and
touched the top electrical wire. That zapped him and retreated up a
large tree. The Hav-A-Hart trap works too.
Old 25-04-2009, 12:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

"SteveB" wrote in message
[...]

Put out food and water for them and they'll most likely stop marauding
your area.

Kate - squirrels gotta eat too

Old 25-04-2009, 01:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

"SteveB" wrote in message
[...]

You're never going to trap them all. The only sane solution is to protect
things like the grain. How about storing it in clean metal trash cans with
the lids strapped with bungee cords? If you think they'll chew the bungee
cords, use chain. If they continue chewing on the shed until they figure out
it's pointless, call a siding company and have them wrap the vulnerable
areas in aluminum.

Old 25-04-2009, 02:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

SteveB wrote:
I have made mouse traps out of five gallon buckets, and a tin can on a wire
stretched over the open end. Wipe peanut butter on the can, and when the
mouse steps out on it, it spins and dumps the mouse in the water.

I have been fighting squirrels all spring. Tomorrow a king size version
goes up, and we'll see how the squirrels do. Going to get two more for
other positions on my property.

Will keep you posted.

Steve

Simple cheap solution: procure one barn cat.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Old 25-04-2009, 03:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 09:25:19 -0400, John McGaw
wrote:

SteveB wrote:
I have made mouse traps out of five gallon buckets, and a tin can on a wire
stretched over the open end. Wipe peanut butter on the can, and when the
mouse steps out on it, it spins and dumps the mouse in the water.

I have been fighting squirrels all spring. Tomorrow a king size version
goes up, and we'll see how the squirrels do. Going to get two more for
other positions on my property.

Will keep you posted.

Steve

Simple cheap solution: procure one barn cat.

We have a stray neighborhood cat with one eye. He got into a fight
with a squirrel. The hawks prefer snakes over squirrels, but
thankfully squirrels are fairly easy to trap. A small price to have
two full grown hickory trees.
Old 25-04-2009, 04:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

"SteveB" wrote in message
[...]

Is there a reason you haven't tried a Havahart trap? You'll obviously have
to dispatch the squirrels somehow after you trap them, but there are lots of
imaginative ways to do that.

Old 25-04-2009, 04:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

you got hanta you might also have yersinia pestis.... plague. I will say the
squirrels never touched the fruit trees until we got one of those Stark "edible
kernel" apricots and then the squirrels went nuts.

then I moved into town. next door run down house housed families of squirrels in
roof of porch. house sold, porch roof removed, squirrels evicted and promptly came
to my house next door and began eating their way into my roof, my attic. after 1
year of metal flashing and metal edges and trying everything I had to trap kill 12 of
them to hopefully kill every single one that had any memory of eating their way into
my house. damn rats. I hope I also got the ones ripping the peaches off my tree.
they dont just rip the peaches, they rip off the fruiting spurs as well. damn rats.
Ingrid

ing squirrels?

Old 25-04-2009, 04:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
news

"SteveB" wrote in message
[...]

Killing them with these simple devices is far cheaper, and far more
effective. Plus the damages they do in lessened numbers is cost effective.

Steve