Old 30-04-2009, 05:34 PM
Registered User

Default Bizzy Lizzies

I have a lot of leggy plants....can you cut off the stem down to a lower set of leaves to give them more shape ?

Thankyou
Old 30-04-2009, 09:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 30, 11:34*am, Barum wrote:
I have a lot of leggy plants....can you cut off the stem down to a lower
set of leaves to give them more *shape ?

Thankyou

--it
Barum

This depends a lot on the type of plant. I would guess most woody
perennials could handle a little trim, but you might want to post a
bit more detail.

Old 30-04-2009, 09:52 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

"Barum" wrote in message

I have a lot of leggy plants....can you cut off the stem down to a lower
set of leaves to give them more shape ?

Thankyou

Yes, and you can put those cuttings in a glass of water and they will root.
I generally start out with one plant in the spring and end up with several
dozen tucked all over the place by doing just that.

Val

Old 30-04-2009, 09:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 4/30/2009 9:34 AM, Barum wrote:
I have a lot of leggy plants....can you cut off the stem down to a lower
set of leaves to give them more shape ?

Thankyou

Also known as impatiens, these are generally treated as annuals. Yes,
you may cut them back, especially if you leave foliage below the cut.
This will make them more bushy.

However, leggy impatiens generally occurs if they get too much
fertilizer or not enough light. In my area, impatiens cannot take
full-day sun in the summer; it gets too hot. But they do appreciate
strong indirect light and even early morning or late afternoon sun (but
not both).

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 30-04-2009, 09:57 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

"Mycosimian" wrote in message
On Apr 30, 11:34 am, Barum wrote:
This depends a lot on the type of plant. I would guess most woody
perennials could handle a little trim, but you might want to post a
bit more detail.

Bizzy Lizzy is the old fashioned name for Impatiens. I'm going to assume
that was what was asked about.

Val

Old 30-04-2009, 10:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Val" wrote:

"Barum" wrote in message

I have a lot of leggy plants....can you cut off the stem down to a lower
set of leaves to give them more shape ?

Thankyou

Yes, and you can put those cuttings in a glass of water and they will root.
I generally start out with one plant in the spring and end up with several
dozen tucked all over the place by doing just that.

Val

That is how we over winter our double impatiens. However we do this
in late fall before frost . They look bit funky but in 3 weeks they may
be happy again. They live by our kitchen sink Sept.- May 15 ish.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Not all who wander are lost.
- J.R.R. Tolkien (1892-1973)

Old 30-04-2009, 10:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 30, 11:34 am, Barum wrote:
This depends a lot on the type of plant. I would guess most woody
perennials could handle a little trim, but you might want to post a
bit more detail.

Bizzy Lizzy is the old fashioned name for Impatiens. I'm going to assume
that was what was asked about.

Val

Wow, my mind was somewhere totally different. Never heard that one.

[IMG] code is On

bizzy lizzy Nitro® United Kingdom 0 01-05-2007 06:58 PM
Lemming-like Lizzies? Helen Deborah Vecht United Kingdom 8 01-11-2006 02:30 PM
Busy Lizzies - couple of questions maxman United Kingdom 7 18-10-2005 10:17 PM
Bizzy Lizzys Ferret United Kingdom 7 12-10-2005 07:09 PM
Best balcony pelargonium & bizzie lizzies Victoria Clare United Kingdom 3 31-10-2003 11:03 AM