Old 16-10-2005, 04:20 PM
maxman

Default Busy Lizzies - couple of questions

My wife has some Busy Lizzies which she has grown indoors from seed
and intends to keep indoors.

They seem to be growing very well, the tallest being about 10 inches
tall (she planted the seeds some months ago).

Should they not be flowering by now though? There's no sign of any
flower buds, the plants just keep growing!

Also, should they be watered often? It's just that we haven't watered
them for maybe a week or so now and they show no signs of *needing*
any water. I guess we're wary of over-watering them,

They don't get any direct sunlight, but they are in a well lit room.

Thanks for any advice.

Old 16-10-2005, 04:55 PM
cineman

Keep out of draught and direct sunlight for winter keep on dry side, and no
frost, you will know when they need water the leaves lose there shine and
start to droop only water when needed, as for flowering you may be rewarded
with flowers during winter, but in spring, trim back, place the trimmings in
glass of water as soon as roots show pot on, now that is the worst part as
they may succumb to rot when potted on. The trimming back will make plant
bushier

regards
Cineman

good luck

Old 16-10-2005, 07:25 PM
maxman

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 15:55:37 GMT, "cineman"
wrote:

Keep out of draught and direct sunlight for winter keep on dry side, and no
frost, you will know when they need water the leaves lose there shine and
start to droop only water when needed, as for flowering you may be rewarded
with flowers during winter, but in spring, trim back, place the trimmings in
glass of water as soon as roots show pot on, now that is the worst part as
they may succumb to rot when potted on. The trimming back will make plant
bushier

Thanks very much.

When you say to trim them, where exactly do you mean? At the growing
tip?
Old 16-10-2005, 08:45 PM
cineman

"maxman" wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 15:55:37 GMT, "cineman"
wrote:

SNIP

but in spring, trim back, place the trimmings in
glass of water as soon as roots show pot on, now that is the worst part as
they may succumb to rot when potted on. The trimming back will make plant
bushier

Thanks very much.

When you say to trim them, where exactly do you mean? At the growing
tip?

If they are about 10 inches tall as I believe you said and have short stems
between leaf nodes then you could trim back about half way just above a leaf
joint this will keep them in shape and make them bush.

regards
Cineman

Old 16-10-2005, 09:26 PM
cineman

wrote:

Keep out of draught and direct sunlight for winter keep on dry side, and
no
frost, you will know when they need water the leaves lose there shine and
start to droop only water when needed, as for flowering you may be
rewarded
with flowers during winter, but in spring, trim back, place the trimmings
in
glass of water as soon as roots show pot on, now that is the worst part as
they may succumb to rot when potted on. The trimming back will make plant
bushier

Thanks very much.

When you say to trim them, where exactly do you mean? At the growing
tip?

As they are about 10 inches tall and if the leaf joints are close together
you can cut them back by about half, just above a leaf joint

regards
Cineman

Old 17-10-2005, 07:52 PM
maxman

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 20:26:22 GMT, "cineman"
wrote:

When you say to trim them, where exactly do you mean? At the growing
tip?

As they are about 10 inches tall and if the leaf joints are close together
you can cut them back by about half, just above a leaf joint

But I shouldn't do this until Spring, correct? The tallest one
(possibly 12 inches now I look at it properly) seems to have really
shot up in the past couple of days.
Old 18-10-2005, 12:38 AM
cineman

"maxman" wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 20:26:22 GMT, "cineman"
wrote:

Snip

As they are about 10 inches tall and if the leaf joints are close together
you can cut them back by about half, just above a leaf joint

But I shouldn't do this until Spring, correct? The tallest one
(possibly 12 inches now I look at it properly) seems to have really
shot up in the past couple of days.

Hi,
If you wish to leave triming until spring, that is fine, but if kept warmish
will continue to grow and could get rather leggy by spring, so if plant is
healthy it will not harm to trim now.
Make sure ther is enough leaf nodes/joins to allow plant to bush out.
trimming not only keeps the plant in shape, but stops it getting top heavy.
After about 2 years I ended up with a couple indoors in 6 inch pots and
about 2 feet across and about same hright, absolutely massed with flowerrs
in spring but did keep flowering throughout winter as well.
No direct sunlight but in a light spot.
No draughts
even, but not too hot temperatures.
regards
Cineman
P S tyhe trimmings can be rooted in jars of water with about 1 inch of stem
under water.
best of luck

Old 18-10-2005, 10:17 PM
maxman

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 23:38:58 GMT, "cineman"
wrote:

[...]

Thanks for all your help and advice - I'll get the scissors out.

Busy Lizzies - why? Jim S United Kingdom 7 15-09-2016 09:37 AM
Will Busy Lizzies survive indoors? gardening_nut Gardening 4 11-09-2010 12:09 PM
busy lizzies sugar1 Gardening 2 08-05-2008 09:04 PM
Advice please on yellowing Busy Lizzies? Bergamot United Kingdom 2 21-06-2007 07:05 PM
Best balcony pelargonium & bizzie lizzies Victoria Clare United Kingdom 3 31-10-2003 11:03 AM