Old 27-05-2009, 12:48 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Rose Bushes ?

"Bill who putters" wrote in message
enigma wrote:
"brooklyn1" wrote in

It is the roses that need no care that this thread is about.

That's right... wild roses are the only roses that need no care,
instead they need beware. Um, we were doing just fine, you're
the one who introduced the fancy schmacy roses into this thread,
so go sit on a thorn while you repent..

that's not true. there are many antique roses that thrive without
being fussed over... the rugosas are just *one* type of antique rose.
from your discription the roses in your field that you are whining
about aren't rugosas anyway. rugosas have a lot of short thorns, not
huge tearing daggers. they're probably multifloras.
i wouldn't call the old roses fancy schamcy. they're sturdy, disease
resistant, grow on their own roots, & can survive just fine in cold
winter areas (most old roses are hardy to zone 5, but several types
are hardy to zone 3). fancy roses are the hybrid teas that die if you
look at them wrong & have no fragrance anyway, but the florist trade
loves them.
lee

We have a few David Austin Roses that handle shade and neglect.

The David Austin roses are lovely roses and (generally) they don't need a
lot of care but that also is sometimes not true. Some of his roses are much
tougher than others, but the certainly aren't as touchy as bloody "Julia's
Rose" whihc I'd love to have but which I know I cna't have in my situation.

David Austin's roses wouldn't suit the situation the OP described however.
He needs the really tough old roses.

Bill who places corn meal about when I think of it for black spot.

What is corn meal and how does it work to stop black spot?

Old 27-05-2009, 02:23 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default FARM1 is FAKE1 was: Rose Bushes ?

"brooklyn1" wrote in message
"brooklyn1" wrote in message
"Phisherman" wrote:

To look their best roses require regular maintenance. I love roses,
but only have three and that is enough work for me.

I feel the same, roses are a lot of work,

If you think that, then you don't know about the whole range of roses
that are available. Many roses need no care at all.

It is the roses that need no care that this thread is about.

That's right... wild roses are the only roses that need no care, instead
they need beware. Um, we were doing just fine, you're the one who
introduced the fancy schmacy roses into this thread, so go sit on a thorn
while you repent..

Sheldon, you're an idiot and it's been established by now that you have
the brains of a jellyfish.

If you knew anything at all on the subject, you wouldn't write such stupid
things.

You never grew a rose, you never will... YOU NEVER GREW ANYTHING... YOU ARE
A DIRTY STINKING LIAR, A TOTAL FRAUD! Farm1 = FAKE1 has never ever been a
hundred miles of a farm.

Old 27-05-2009, 04:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

"brooklyn1" wrote in message
"brooklyn1" wrote in message
"brooklyn1" wrote in message
"Phisherman" wrote:

[...]

Thank you Sheldon for letting me know that I've irritated you intensely.
I'm very pleased to have managed to get right up your left nostril.

Old 27-05-2009, 06:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

"brooklyn1" wrote in message

"brooklyn1" wrote in message
"brooklyn1" wrote in message
"Phisherman" wrote:

[...]

Sheldon, somewhere in your room is a button you can push to call the big
burly male nurse who will strap you down and medicate you again.

Push the button, Sheldon.

Old 27-05-2009, 01:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"brooklyn1" wrote in message

"brooklyn1" wrote in message
"brooklyn1" wrote in message
"Phisherman" wrote:

[...]

The typical AVOIDANCE response of yet another LIAR who has NEVER grown
anything.

Happy wild rugusa:
http://i44.tinypic.com/2iqbiqc.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/akh9u8.jpg

Old 27-05-2009, 01:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

"brooklyn1" wrote in message

"brooklyn1" wrote in message
"brooklyn1" wrote in message
"Phisherman" wrote:

[...]

Where in your fantasy world did you imagine that a homeowner would not prune
a Rosa rugosa?

Old 27-05-2009, 02:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

"brooklyn1" wrote in message

"brooklyn1" wrote in message
"brooklyn1" wrote in message
"Phisherman" wrote:

[...]

More topic shift... typical LIAR's alibi... show me your *wild* rosa rugusa,
dipshit. I'm amazed that with a gardening group those who criticize others
have NO gardening of their own to present... all they do all day is pound
their keyboards.

Try to keep up, dipshit. I've already explained, if pruned wild rosa rugusa
won't flower, not for a long time, at least a year, probably two... and will
just be a clump of thick thorny stems, won't even have foilage as all the
foilage is at the extreme ends, if pruned the new growth needs to start at
the very base, that's how this wild rose advances, it has no suckers, it's
all suckers, it's wild... once cut the thick thorny stems will die. Again,
for the dimwits and LIARS, wild rosa rugosa needs a very large space to
grow, it is NOT for the typical surburban sized lot. Talking *hybrid*
rugusa is a whole nother topic.

Yesterday while mowing I noticed that I have a new wild rosa rugusa that
sprung up on the southern exposure bank of my creek, right there in the
center... it's obvious that the southern exposure side has much more
greenery. I actually took the picture to record how well the greenery is
advancing, before I noticed that plant... since it's growing towards the sun
I'm hoping that in a few years it will span the creek. I leave it because I
have the space, with its spreading growth habit it makes good erosion
control, and is great for birds to nest... were it on the opposite side of
the creek I'd likely remove it as it would grow up onto my grassy area and
present a mowing problem. It's difficut to appreciate how large they grow
in a photo, the other one near the Norway spruce is at least ten feet tall
with a good twenty foot spread. My newly renovated creek is doing very
well. Ther eis water flowing but i't below the rock.. it looks like the sky
is about to open any minute now so in a few hours the water will be about
halfway up its banks:
http://i40.tinypic.com/30uz5gm.jpg

Old 27-05-2009, 03:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

"brooklyn1" wrote in message

"brooklyn1" wrote in message
"brooklyn1" wrote in message
"Phisherman" wrote:

[...]

Those photos are no fantasy, they're real... your snide remarks mean you're
obviously envious.

that a homeowner would not prune a Rosa rugosa?

WTF does "homeowner" have to do with it... must be a freudian slip because
you rent, most likely a dinky dingy tenement apt... the only gardening you
do is on your keyboard.

Old 27-05-2009, 03:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Wed, 27 May 2009 08:58:20 -0400, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

Where in your fantasy world did you imagine that a homeowner would not
prune
a Rosa rugosa?

I have a Rosa rugosa which I prune to an inch of its life. In a month
it is back up to six feet tall! Can't kill it.

Yup... it's growing right there on your keyboard... LIAR!

Old 27-05-2009, 03:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

"brooklyn1" wrote in message

"brooklyn1" wrote in message
"brooklyn1" wrote in message
"Phisherman" wrote:

[...]

Push the button for the nurse, Sheldim. It's time for your meds again.

Old 27-05-2009, 03:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

"brooklyn1" wrote in message

"brooklyn1" wrote in message
"brooklyn1" wrote in message
"Phisherman" wrote:

[...]

So you're confirming I'm correct, Joe Loser! LOL

Old 27-05-2009, 03:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

"brooklyn1" wrote in
:

http://i44.tinypic.com/akh9u8.jpg

that looks like a multiflora, not a rugosa.
lee