Old 31-05-2009, 07:21 PM
Registered User

Question roots taking over!

Hello all! Brand new to this forum and to gardening, so please bear with me!

Our neighbours have a large tree (I THINK it's an elm tree, but I'm not sure) growing right alongside our fence. There are a few places where the tree roots are above the ground on our side of the fence, and these roots have sprouted new mini trees. Is there a way I can "neuter" the roots so they don't sprout, without killing the tree? The roots come up right around where I have flowers planted, so I don't want to damage my plants with any kind of chemicals or aggressive digging, if I can avoid it... If I saw the roots that are above ground off, will that kill the tree??

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can't see my daffodils past the tree spouts!
Old 01-06-2009, 12:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default roots taking over!

I don't know about tree roots, but welcome to one of many forums.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 31 May 2009 19:21:16 +0100, against all advice, something
compelled thh20 , to say:

Hello all! Brand new to this forum and to gardening, so please bear with
me!

Our neighbours have a large tree (I THINK it's an elm tree, but I'm not
sure) growing right alongside our fence. There are a few places where
the tree roots are above the ground on our side of the fence, and these
roots have sprouted new mini trees. Is there a way I can "neuter" the
roots so they don't sprout, without killing the tree? The roots come up
right around where I have flowers planted, so I don't want to damage my
plants with any kind of chemicals or aggressive digging, if I can avoid
it... If I saw the roots that are above ground off, will that kill the
tree??

Cut off all of the suckers, and cover the root with black
plastic?

--

Don't worry about people stealing an idea. If it's original, you will
have to ram it down their throats.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 31 May 2009 18:09:44 -0500, against all advice, something
compelled Charlie, to say:

On Sun, 31 May 2009 19:21:16 +0100, thh20
spuked forth:

Hello all! Brand new to this forum and to gardening, so please bear with
me!

It is *not* a Forum........it's the Usenet.

And it's not "the Usenet", it's USENET. The question was on
topic, it wasn't crafted in HTML, and it deserves an answer
should you have one.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

On May 31, 6:09*pm, Charlie wrote:
On Sun, 31 May 2009 19:21:16 +0100, thh20
spuked forth:

Hello all! Brand new to this forum and to gardening, so please bear with
me!

It is *not* a Forum........it's the Usenet. *Friggin gardenbanter is
simply a GUI for usenet access....sheesh.

As is that friggin' googlegroups....

Charlie

Does anyone still use a CLI news reader? A forum is just a place where
people gather to exchange stuff.

I have chopped up a bunch of roots from my neighbors Chinese tallow
trees. The things just won't freaking die... g They are not long-
lived trees, and most of their branches have rotted and been blown
down by storms. They are working on some new ones though.

I don't think I wouldn't do anything too drastic to a nice Elm.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 31 May 2009 20:56:45 -0500, against all advice, something
compelled Charlie - "An Organic Fanatic", to say:

Deal with it, Steve. If you don't like what I post, that is fine and
doesn't upset me at all.

Apparently, that is not true.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 31 May 2009 22:01:02 -0500, against all advice, something
compelled Charlie - "An Organic Fanatic", to say:

On Sun, 31 May 2009 19:54:48 -0700, Steve Daniels
spuked forth:

On Sun, 31 May 2009 20:56:45 -0500, against all advice, something
compelled Charlie - "An Organic Fanatic", to say:

Deal with it, Steve. If you don't like what I post, that is fine and
doesn't upset me at all.

Apparently, that is not true.

You say this because I responded in a belittling way, all in good
USENET fun and in the spirit of the game?

Spirit of the game, shit. He asked a reasonable question in the
appropriate space, and you found fit to slam him for not
following some antique convention.

Who did that help?

You're right... you win, I lose.

Yes, you're right.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:24 PM
Registered User

Location: Kent
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by thh20 View Post
Our neighbours have a large tree (I THINK it's an elm tree...)
Hi, I had this problem last year with a somewhat different tree, and to combat these trees I repeatedly chopped of the 'mini' trees and there seem to be less of them this year. Chopping of the mini trees should not damage the main plant although I might also advise covering the holes in the roots and using a sharp knife to minimise the chances of infection. Otherwise I'm not sure there is much you can do! Hope this helps, Ross.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

Steve Daniels wrote:
On Sun, 31 May 2009 22:01:02 -0500, against all advice, something
compelled Charlie - "An Organic Fanatic", to say:

On Sun, 31 May 2009 19:54:48 -0700, Steve Daniels
spuked forth:

On Sun, 31 May 2009 20:56:45 -0500, against all advice, something
compelled Charlie - "An Organic Fanatic", to say:

Deal with it, Steve. If you don't like what I post, that is fine and
doesn't upset me at all.

Apparently, that is not true.

You say this because I responded in a belittling way, all in good
USENET fun and in the spirit of the game?

Spirit of the game, shit. He asked a reasonable question in the
appropriate space, and you found fit to slam him for not
following some antique convention.

Who did that help?

You're right... you win, I lose.

Yes, you're right.

USENET,usenet, forum...whatever. Inasmuch as it is an open discussion
group it is a forum (regardless of what you want to call it
technically)..a place where people can publicly voice their opinions.
EJ in NJ