Old 08-06-2009, 06:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Rhubarb questions

Two years ago, I was given a rhubarb plant and because I had nowhere else to
plant it at the moment, I stuck it in the ground too close to the garage. I
knew it was going to be too huge for that spot, but necessity is the mother
of compromise.

Now it's time to move it and of course, it's huge. If I hack off all leaves
& stalks except maybe for the smallest 3-4 in the center, is it likely to
survive the move?

Old 08-06-2009, 06:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

Two years ago, I was given a rhubarb plant and because I had nowhere else to
plant it at the moment, I stuck it in the ground too close to the garage. I
knew it was going to be too huge for that spot, but necessity is the mother
of compromise.

Now it's time to move it and of course, it's huge. If I hack off all leaves
& stalks except maybe for the smallest 3-4 in the center, is it likely to
survive the move?

Treat it like a hosta.

Bill

P.S. Heat is comming on so the new spot loaded with rich soil may
need water if plant is overly sad.

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

No foreign intervention unless tyranny at home.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
Two years ago, I was given a rhubarb plant and because I had nowhere else
to plant it at the moment, I stuck it in the ground too close to the
garage. I knew it was going to be too huge for that spot, but necessity is
the mother of compromise.

Now it's time to move it and of course, it's huge. If I hack off all
leaves & stalks except maybe for the smallest 3-4 in the center, is it
likely to survive the move?

Take a look at this article.

http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/rhubarb-propagation.html

mike

Old 08-06-2009, 11:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
Two years ago, I was given a rhubarb plant and because I had nowhere else
to plant it at the moment, I stuck it in the ground too close to the
garage. I knew it was going to be too huge for that spot, but necessity is
the mother of compromise.

Now it's time to move it and of course, it's huge. If I hack off all
leaves & stalks except maybe for the smallest 3-4 in the center, is it
likely to survive the move?

Yep, so long as you get some decent roots along with the crowns and keep it
protected from high heat and keep the soil round the crowns moist for a
while after you move it.

Old 09-06-2009, 01:23 AM posted to rec.gardens

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
Two years ago, I was given a rhubarb plant and because I had nowhere else
to plant it at the moment, I stuck it in the ground too close to the
garage. I knew it was going to be too huge for that spot, but necessity
is the mother of compromise.

Now it's time to move it and of course, it's huge. If I hack off all
leaves & stalks except maybe for the smallest 3-4 in the center, is it
likely to survive the move?

Yep, so long as you get some decent roots along with the crowns and keep
it protected from high heat and keep the soil round the crowns moist for a
while after you move it.

Heck - that's easy. I even have an interesting, but strange looking shading
apparatus I can provide while the plant is in intensive care. This thing
puts the "K" in Kustom. Made from sticks and some dark wondow screen.

Old 09-06-2009, 02:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
Two years ago, I was given a rhubarb plant and because I had nowhere
else to plant it at the moment, I stuck it in the ground too close to
the garage. I knew it was going to be too huge for that spot, but
necessity is the mother of compromise.

Now it's time to move it and of course, it's huge. If I hack off all
leaves & stalks except maybe for the smallest 3-4 in the center, is
it likely to survive the move?

Yes, divide it into clumps where each has some roots and shoots, plant about
2-3ft apart in full sun, feed with horse or cow.

David

Old 09-06-2009, 03:36 AM posted to rec.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
Two years ago, I was given a rhubarb plant and because I had nowhere
else to plant it at the moment, I stuck it in the ground too close to
the garage. I knew it was going to be too huge for that spot, but
necessity is the mother of compromise.

Now it's time to move it and of course, it's huge. If I hack off all
leaves & stalks except maybe for the smallest 3-4 in the center, is
it likely to survive the move?

Yes, divide it into clumps where each has some roots and shoots, plant
about 2-3ft apart in full sun, feed with horse or cow.

David

Should I hack the horse or cow into small pieces, or bury whole animals?
Seems like a lot of work just for a rhubarb plant.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
Two years ago, I was given a rhubarb plant and because I had nowhere
else to plant it at the moment, I stuck it in the ground too close
to the garage. I knew it was going to be too huge for that spot, but
necessity is the mother of compromise.

Now it's time to move it and of course, it's huge. If I hack off all
leaves & stalks except maybe for the smallest 3-4 in the center, is
it likely to survive the move?

Yes, divide it into clumps where each has some roots and shoots,
plant about 2-3ft apart in full sun, feed with horse or cow.

David

Should I hack the horse or cow into small pieces, or bury whole
animals? Seems like a lot of work just for a rhubarb plant.

Mine are trained to squat over the plant.

David
Old 09-06-2009, 09:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

Now it's time to move it and of course, it's huge. If I hack off all
leaves & stalks except maybe for the smallest 3-4 in the center, is it
likely to survive the move?

Yep, so long as you get some decent roots along with the crowns and keep
it protected from high heat and keep the soil round the crowns moist for
a while after you move it.

Heck - that's easy. I even have an interesting, but strange looking
shading apparatus I can provide while the plant is in intensive care. This
thing puts the "K" in Kustom. Made from sticks and some dark wondow
screen.

I just found the following site as I was checking my "Favourites" folder to
get some cites for Gunner - you might be interested:
http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/