Old 08-07-2009, 11:48 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair

Default Garden hose

I have two of the home depot variety "kink free" garden hoses. They are far
from kink free, in fact they kink all the time when you stretch them out.
When you roll them back up you have to keep flipping the hose the right way
so it won't kink.

However, I have a very old hose probably more than 15 years I found in this
garage and it never kinks. It does not kink because it does not flatten not
even a little bit. I think it's made of rubber. Are those better hoses
than the modern day vinyl hoses?

MC

Old 09-07-2009, 12:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

MiamiCuse wrote:
I have two of the home depot variety "kink free" garden hoses. They are far
from kink free, in fact they kink all the time when you stretch them out.
When you roll them back up you have to keep flipping the hose the right way
so it won't kink.

However, I have a very old hose probably more than 15 years I found in this
garage and it never kinks. It does not kink because it does not flatten not
even a little bit. I think it's made of rubber. Are those better hoses
than the modern day vinyl hoses?

I remember admiring a Model A, and I asked the owner where he got the
replacement rubber, it was perfect. He said "Replacement, that's original!".

I have a 1" rubber hose that would never think of kinking, of course,
this is a monster.

My guess is that thinner hoses will be more likely to kink, look for
substance, no matter what you get, if this is a concern.

Jeff

MC

Old 09-07-2009, 12:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

jeff wrote:
MiamiCuse wrote:
[...]

Good point. I have 19mm (3/4in) and 12mm (1/2in) made of the same material,
the thinner kinks much more.

David

Old 09-07-2009, 12:58 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse wrote:
I have two of the home depot variety "kink free" garden hoses. They are far
from kink free, in fact they kink all the time when you stretch them out.
When you roll them back up you have to keep flipping the hose the right way
so it won't kink.

However, I have a very old hose probably more than 15 years I found in this
garage and it never kinks. It does not kink because it does not flatten not
even a little bit. I think it's made of rubber. Are those better hoses
than the modern day vinyl hoses?

MC

Hi,
You bet. Heavy duty industrial/commercial one. I have one and it is so
heavy and kink free but hard to handle.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:09 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
I have two of the home depot variety "kink free" garden hoses. They are
far from kink free, in fact they kink all the time when you stretch them
out. When you roll them back up you have to keep flipping the hose the
right way so it won't kink.

However, I have a very old hose probably more than 15 years I found in
this garage and it never kinks. It does not kink because it does not
flatten not even a little bit. I think it's made of rubber. Are those
better hoses than the modern day vinyl hoses?

MC

IMO, yes, it is better, but after 15 years it may be deteriorating. If you
want the best possible hose reel, go to www.rapidreel.com After curing
every other type for years, I spent the money and have never been happier
using the hoses and being able to re-wind it easily. .

Old 09-07-2009, 04:09 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair

Mine, I hang over my air conditioner bracket. at Ace
Hardware, I did buy a roll of canvass and rubber "stores
flat on a reel" hose, but havn't yet used it. I suggest to
get used to twisting the hose as you coil it up on the
ground.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Old 09-07-2009, 04:54 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
I have two of the home depot variety "kink free" garden hoses. They are
far from kink free, in fact they kink all the time when you stretch them
out. When you roll them back up you have to keep flipping the hose the
right way so it won't kink.

However, I have a very old hose probably more than 15 years I found in
this garage and it never kinks. It does not kink because it does not
flatten not even a little bit. I think it's made of rubber. Are those
better hoses than the modern day vinyl hoses?

MC

Good hoses are still available. They just cost more. Most people do not
understand the principles behind coiling. Hose is like wire rope. It will
coil, but it doesn't twist very much. Lay out a stretch of steel wire, and
you notice that if you turn one end, the other end turns the same amount.
Weaker things will spin a couple of times before the other end starts to
move. Over time, this bending develops a memory in the tube, and then it
becomes harder to straighten it out.

Figure eight'ing hose will allow storage without twisting. A coil method of
one coil one way, and the next reversed works great, but few can master it.
You can properly coil wire rope using this technique, then pull it all out
straight without a spiral in it. Same for hose.

As for using reels ............ lots of variables. Hoses go onto reels much
differently if they are pressurized than if not pressurized. Some hoses are
weak, and will flatten when rolled up on a reel, and others won't. Then
there's unreeling. Have you left it full of water, and now it has frozen?
Did you reel it up right and even? Reels work pretty good, and there's all
grades, some even with level wind mechanisms.

But knowing the principles of the whole thing help to gain predictable
results.

HTH

Steve

Old 09-07-2009, 01:04 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
I have two of the home depot variety "kink free" garden hoses. They are
far from kink free, in fact they kink all the time when you stretch them
out. When you roll them back up you have to keep flipping the hose the
right way so it won't kink.

However, I have a very old hose probably more than 15 years I found in
this garage and it never kinks. It does not kink because it does not
flatten not even a little bit. I think it's made of rubber. Are those
better hoses than the modern day vinyl hoses?

MC

I recently replaced two old plastic 50' hoses with two 50' rubber hoses I
bought at Lowes. These new hoses have not kinked, so far.

I found if I coiled the old plastic hoses while they were filled with water,
they coiled much easier and never kinked. Once I had them coiled, I drained
the water off.

My main complaint with the plastic hoses was that they deteriorated very
fast in the hot Texas sun. The rubber hoses, so far, do not seem to be
damaged by the sun.

Freckles

Old 09-07-2009, 01:51 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote:
I have two of the home depot variety "kink free" garden hoses. They are
far from kink free, in fact they kink all the time when you stretch them
out. When you roll them back up you have to keep flipping the hose the
right way so it won't kink.

All brand new hose is prone to kinking. Hose needs to be broken in, so that
it loses it's factory "memory" (from being tightly wound in its sale mode),
with use it will become softer and more flexible (lower quality hose may
never become soft and flexible, and in fact over time tends to harden). And
when you say "roll them back up" do you mean on the ground or on a hose
reel? Winding hose on the grond automatically causes hose to twist, whech
will caue it to kink in use. It's best to use a hose reel, and still there
is a proper way to wind hose on a reel.

However, I have a very old hose probably more than 15 years I found in
this garage and it never kinks. It does not kink because it does not
flatten not even a little bit. I think it's made of rubber. Are those
better hoses than the modern day vinyl hoses?

Rubber hoses are not better, they're different... they're more abrasion
resistant and can better withstand being constantly driven over... but they
are less flexible and are much heavier to drag around than vinyl hose. Were
I going to be using a hose mostly over a paved area and/or where there are
sharp protruding objects like inside a factory building, and over
reletively short distances I'd choose rubber... for garden and lawn areas
I'd choose vinyl. Generally for home use vinyl hose is a better choice.
For commercial use rubber hose is generally a better choice; rubber hose
costs more but can withstand the rigors of hard use and abuse much better
than vinyl.

Old 09-07-2009, 02:13 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse wrote:
I have two of the home depot variety "kink free" garden hoses. They are far
from kink free, in fact they kink all the time when you stretch them out.
When you roll them back up you have to keep flipping the hose the right way
so it won't kink.

However, I have a very old hose probably more than 15 years I found in this
garage and it never kinks. It does not kink because it does not flatten not
even a little bit. I think it's made of rubber. Are those better hoses
than the modern day vinyl hoses?

MC

Same thing I have said before. Sears sells a life time warranted rubber
hose. If anything ever goes wrong with it you take it back and they
give you a new one. They are heavier, but it is worth it for the fact
that when you pull a kink in one all you have to do is untwist it and
the kink goes away. They cost more, I paid about $35 for my 70 foot
one, but since I won't ever have to buy a replacement for it it is
well worth the price.

Bill

Old 09-07-2009, 02:31 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair

"BillGill" wrote in message
MiamiCuse wrote:
[...]

I agree. I bought a heavy duty 100' rubber hose from sears many years ago
and it still kink-free and in great shape. I use on of those free standing
reels with a big crank from one of the big home improvement stores. It works
pretty well winding neatly and the hose is enclosed which helps it's
lifespan.

I bought a few more 50' rubber hoses for the front yard and they are pretty
good, but will kink on occasion. I attribute this to the crappy wall-mounted
reel they are on more than the hose themselves. Once we get the furniture we
are holding for my daughter out of the garage later this summer, I''' be
able to put a better reel in the garage for these hoses.

Jon

Old 09-07-2009, 03:05 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:

A coil method of
one coil one way, and the next reversed works great, but few can master it.

By far the best method to use.

One note though is that once a cable / hose / wire has been abused and
kinked, it won't coil well no matter what technique you use.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:00 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
I have two of the home depot variety "kink free" garden hoses. They are

far
from kink free, in fact they kink all the time when you stretch them out.
When you roll them back up you have to keep flipping the hose the right

way
so it won't kink.

However, I have a very old hose probably more than 15 years I found in

this
garage and it never kinks. It does not kink because it does not flatten

not
even a little bit. I think it's made of rubber. Are those better hoses
than the modern day vinyl hoses?

MC

I have a black hose from Sears and it's way better than any of the green
hoses I've owned. I also have a SideWinder hose reel. This combination
works for me. You still have to make sure you don't kink the hose, but it's
a small problem instead of a big problem.

Old 09-07-2009, 05:18 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair

"BillGill" wrote in message
MiamiCuse wrote:
[...]

I find rubber hose much too heavy to drag around over lawns, especially with
water in it... heavy rubber hose is meant for commercial applications, it
will easily slide over paved areas but not lawn. I can buy 100' lengths of
Swan brand 5/8" hose at Lowes at end of season for under $10. Since I live
where winters are very cold I drain my hoses and store them reel and all in
a barn. During warm weather my hoses are outdoors but the reels are set in
a shaded area... sun is a killer of plastics and rubber. Always remember to
close the bib valve and open the nozzle end before winding on the reel,
leaving a hose under pressure greatly shortens its life... even with the
supply turned off if the hose is filled and in the sun the water will expand
and damage the hose, always leave the nozzle open while winding so that the
hose drains... this also places much less stress on your hose reel, a filled
hose is a lot heavier than one realizes. It's best to wind less hose than a
reel's rating, by carring less weight the reel will last a lot longer, and
so will the hose... the portion of hose at the core of the reel will crush,
and if rarely used will be apt to harden and rot... for the rare times you
need a longer hose it's better to simply screw on an extra length, then
remove it when done. Most folks will have at least two lenghths of hose on
a reel, it's a good idea to rotate the lengths each season. If you're short
a hose bib it's better to connect a second reel with a "y" fitting and a
length of rubber hose tucked into the foundation than to overload a reel
with more hose. Never leave a hose lying stretched out in the sun, put it
back on its reel directly after use... and wind neatly with no crossing, and
wind loosely, if a hose is wound in a stretched mode it will be damaged, it
will kink because stretching will give hose an oval cross section, and its
life will be greatly shortened... bring your hose to the reel before winding
rather than use the reel to drag the full length of hose across the ground;
this will save your hose, your reel, and your arm. I like the heavy duty
Swan brand hose, it's well made so it lasts a long time (and has a lifetime
guarantee), and I especially like its solid machined brass couplings, formed
brass is thinner and more prone to deform and therefore leak. Replace all
hose gaskets each season, it's a lot cheaper to spend 10¢ on a new gasket
than to over tighten and ruin the coupling... if you find yourself needing a
pair of pliers to tighten hose couplings then you need new gaskets, hose
couplings should only be hand tightened. Some people flip gaskets to use
the other side but then they typically need tightening with pliers, false
economy. Don't buy too many hose gaskets in advance, they will harden with
age and become useless.

http://www.swanhose.com/hose.shtml

I live near the world's leading reel company but I think their garden hose
reels are just too pricey for home use.

http://www.hannay.com/

Old 09-07-2009, 06:06 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair

"brooklyn1" wrote in message

I live near the world's leading reel company but I think their garden hose
reels are just too pricey for home use.

http://www.hannay.com/

Never saw them before. Look good but pricey at $339. A couple of years ago
I went with www.rapidreel.com. Not cheap either, but works great. Hose
does not kink and unwinds and winds easily. The one I have was $179 but
they do have less expensive models.

Don't waste your money on the $30 plastic jobs at the big box stores.