Old 09-07-2009, 07:47 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair

Default Garden hose

On Thu, 9 Jul 2009 13:06:52 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"brooklyn1" wrote in message

I live near the world's leading reel company but I think their garden hose
reels are just too pricey for home use.

http://www.hannay.com/

Never saw them before. Look good but pricey at $339. A couple of years ago
I went with www.rapidreel.com. Not cheap either, but works great. Hose
does not kink and unwinds and winds easily. The one I have was $179 but
they do have less expensive models.

Don't waste your money on the $30 plastic jobs at the big box stores.

I'd rather use those plastic jobs. They last 5 years. The cost of a
$180 model will never be recouped. I have better places to put
$150.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:24 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"brooklyn1" wrote in message

I live near the world's leading reel company but I think their garden
hose reels are just too pricey for home use.

http://www.hannay.com/

Never saw them before. Look good but pricey at $339. A couple of years
ago I went with www.rapidreel.com. Not cheap either, but works great.
Hose does not kink and unwinds and winds easily. The one I have was $179
but they do have less expensive models.

Don't waste your money on the $30 plastic jobs at the big box stores.

Everything is being made cheaper except for prices. I bought three of those
plastic hose reels at Lowes 7 years ago for $20 each and they're still going
strong. I bought a similar one for my tenant a little over a year ago that
cost $30 and it cracked after a year... it's still usable but it won't last
much longer... the plastic is less than half the thickness of my older ones.
$339 is way too much, but so is $179... I don't think a decent quality
homeowner type hose reel should cost more than $50.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:38 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair

"brooklyn1" wrote in message

I live near the world's leading reel company but I think their garden
hose
reels are just too pricey for home use.

http://www.hannay.com/

Never saw them before. Look good but pricey at $339. A couple of years
ago
I went with www.rapidreel.com. Not cheap either, but works great. Hose
does not kink and unwinds and winds easily. The one I have was $179 but
they do have less expensive models.

Don't waste your money on the $30 plastic jobs at the big box stores.

I'd rather use those plastic jobs. They last 5 years. The cost of a
$180 model will never be recouped. I have better places to put
$150.

Good for you. IMO, the plastic jobs are crap, aggravating to use, and
don't last more than a year or two. I'm willing to pay for convenience and
quality. I can wind my hose up in seconds and smoothly, something a plastic
reel never could achieve. We have choices, mine differs from yours.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:41 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

SteveB wrote:

A coil method of
one coil one way, and the next reversed works great, but few can master
it.

By far the best method to use.

One note though is that once a cable / hose / wire has been abused and
kinked, it won't coil well no matter what technique you use.

Problem with the el-cheapo Wal-Mart/Home-Depot/Costco hoses (yes, even
Costco sells these piece of crap hoses) is that it is so very easy to kink
them. And as many here have pointed out, once it kinks, it will keep kinking
in the same place. I have several of them that I keep on the ground in my
garden - I don't coil them up when done, they stay in place where I need
them and I just drag them around as needed. And the !@#$ things kink so
easly I'm ready to throw the whole lot of them in the trash and go buy an
industrial quality hose that I can use without kinking....

Old 14-07-2009, 03:23 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair

"Zootal" wrote in message

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

SteveB wrote:

[...]

My epiphany came when I had a driveway put in. The company crushed my hose
in front of the house. They bought me another. A Goodyear 1" black 75
footer with nice cast brass fittings. I tell you what, that hose was
probably $50 or more. More than I would have ever spent. It's still going
strong after five years, and doesn't look used. I've bought a couple since
then, and there's just no comparison. With the money I've spent for shitty
hoses, I could have good ones everywhere I have hoses. The end sprayers
thread on so much better, and the hose bibb connectors don't leak, too.

Steve

Old 15-07-2009, 05:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

Actually, Gilmore irrigation products sold in Lowes and Home Depot
come with a lifetime warranty. I've had my 120 foot hose replaced
three times now. No questions asked. It's even easier now in the
modern day with digital. I simply cut both ends off and take a photo
and they send me a new hose. I am certain most people do not take
advantage of this service. So remember, Gilmore hoses, watering
tools, sprinklers, timers...all have a Lifetime Warranty version. Just
look on the packaging.
Victoria

Meh. I'd rather have a good quality product then a piece of junk that needs
replacing periodically. A warranty doesn't do me any good when I have a
broken tool that I need now and the stores are closed until Monday. Case in
point - I made the mistake of buying a cheap off-brand tiller (you think I
would have learned by now to NEVER buy cheap off-brand products). After two
years the handle breaks. Replacement? No problem! Just wait 5 weeks for us
to get one from the factory. Spring...ground is dry, but rain is coming next
week. Till the ground now or wait another month or two for another break in
the rain. And my tiller is broken and the best warranty in the world does me
no good because I bought a cheap made in China plastic piece of crap and it
takes 5 weeks to get a replacement handle. Moral of the story. Never buy
cheap plastic made in China (or made anywhere else for that matter) crap.
Fork out the bucks for something good so it doesn't bite you later.

Old 15-07-2009, 09:15 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 21:59:46 -0700, Zootal wrote:

Moral of the story. Never buy
cheap plastic made in China (or made anywhere else for that matter)
crap. Fork out the bucks for something good so it doesn't bite you
later.

While that may true for complicated equipment with motors like tillers,
lawnmowers, and snow blowers that's not the case for simple things like
hoses. Pity the fool who buys the cheap snow blower and spends space
storing it all summer only to have it crap out during the first blizzard.
A hose is kind of hard to screw up manufacturing wise and if it does break
they're trivial to fix with splices. I only buy the cheapest hoses sold
and my hoses go through the most brutal environmental conditions on my
rooftop garden. They stay up there year round and suffer intense heat
sitting on a flat rubber roof in the summer to intense sub zero cold
during the winter. Only twice in seven years did a bubble appear in the
middle one of my main transfer hose that needed to be cut out but that
only costs a few dollars each time. Sometimes leaks pop at ends of
tributary watering garden hoses due to stress from changing out watering
wands but then again, that's trivial and cheap to fix as well. Why spend
$50 on a hose when there's one for $20? The thing I do buy quality are
hose splices, new ends, and splitters, I only get the copper stuff. The
plastic splitters and splices never lasted more than a week in my garden.

I can't believe some of you people get warranties for something as simple
as a hose and are organized enough to keep track of your hose warranty.
I'd rather fix the damn hose myself than even drive to some big box store,
stand in line, and explain to some bored clerk that my hose is broke and I
want a new one. Actually, I'd be kind of embarrassed doing something like
that. Some people, however, have no shame LOL.

Old 15-07-2009, 12:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Zootal" wrote:

[...]

Apples/Oranges... no comparison between a tiller and a garden hose. For a
few bucks one can easily replace a garden hose with a quick trip to any
store that sells gardening stuff. A tiller is not so inexpensive to replace
(although were I in your spot I'd have rented one for the day). The moral
is not about cheap price so much as it is about never buy machinery except
from a reliable service center nearby that stocks the parts for and services
what it sells. I bought my tiller from the Authorized dealership in town
that sells all sorts of farming equipment including huge tractors... when a
belt broke on my practically new tiller requiring a couple days wait for a
new one to ship they delivered a loaner tiller right to my door, and picked
it up three days later when they brought the new belt, installed and test
ran it. Never buy mechanical equipment except from a reliable dealership
that services what they sell. I would never buy a new tiller, mower,
chainsaw, snowblower and such from a big box hardware just because it's $30
cheaper.

Old 15-07-2009, 02:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Mark Anderson" wrote:
Zootal wrote:

[...]

That they have no shame is right... 99.9 percent of garden hose failure is
due to user abuse, which is very easy to ascertain, at least you are honest
enough to admit that you abuse your garden hoses. When the big box stores
replace garden hoses (and other merchandise) under warranty no questions
asked it's really for customer good will. The big stores have an agreement
with the manufacturers to share the loss., and they know that the products
are abused but they sell enough volume that the loss is spread amongst all
who buy those products by selling at higher prices. The honest consumers
get hosed in all orifices, wealth has been spread around for many years,
losses have also been spread around for just as long, if not longer... such
policies are nothing new but of late the greed factor has crossed the line
and so there'll be hell to pay when it all backfires. Only individuals can
decide what level of charity/good will is comfortable and a good cause, but
when people are forced to give charity to the undeserving they simply stop
giving anything. It's by no accident that Democrat and Depression begin
with the same letter, same as Republican and Revolution.

Old 15-07-2009, 04:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"brooklyn1" wrote:

It's by no accident that Democrat and Depression begin
with the same letter, same as Republican and Revolution.

I'd like to thank you for impetus to look about and found

http://www.hyperhistory.com/online_n2/History_n2/a.html

NEAT.

Bill who thinks history always written by the victor

--

Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

http://prototype.nytimes.com/gst/articleSkimmer/

Old 15-07-2009, 05:38 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair

On Jul 13, 7:23*pm, "SteveB" wrote:
"Zootal" wrote in message

"Pete C." wrote in message
nster.com...

SteveB wrote:

[...]

I, too, bought a Goodyear 5/8" rubber hose at (sob!) Home Despot.

(Wish I'd thought of Sears!)

It has a much better brass fitting than the ? brand which I returned
to H.D.
because it leaked at the faucet connection. But to my surprise, the
new
rubber hose kinks much more than the no-name hose that I returned.

Downside of this Goodyear hose is that to use the warranty, you have
to send the whole (*&&^%^ hose back, not just both end connectors, as
with Gilmore
and maybe other brands. Who the hell is going to pay a fortune
to ship a ton of hose to wherever? Again, wish I'd thought of Sears
where I could just walk it in.

Other downside of Goodyear hose is that it kinks a lot. I may have
to try Steve's
figure -8 solution, though the storage area doesn't lend itself,
and I'd have to retrain the gardener.

Sigh!

Pers.

Old 15-07-2009, 07:54 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair

In article
,
Higgs Boson wrote:

I'd have to retrain the gardener.

"I'd have to retrain the gardener!"

OK, garden owners, get your lemonade, umbrellas, and whip, and
get to gardening.
--

- Billy

learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and
find out for themselves.
Will Rogers

http://countercurrents.org/roberts020709.htm
http://www.tomdispatch.com/p/zinn
Old 16-07-2009, 01:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 13:21:14 +0000, brooklyn1 wrote:

It's by no accident that Democrat and Depression begin with the same
letter, same as Republican and Revolution.

I too find it incredulous that the Democrats hoisted Herbert Hoover into
the Presidency.
Old 16-07-2009, 05:13 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair

On Jul 8, 3:48*pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
I have two of the home depot variety "kink free" garden hoses. *They are far
from kink free, in fact they kink all the time when you stretch them out.
When you roll them back up you have to keep flipping the hose the right way
so it won't kink.

However, I have a very old hose probably more than 15 years I found in this
garage and it never kinks. *It does not kink because it does not flatten not
even a little bit. *I think it's made of rubber. *Are those better hoses
than the modern day vinyl hoses?

MC

I have had quality ones, cheap ones and medium ones. All kinked and
once kinked, always kinked. My solution?

The yellow ell cheapos (I get 'em at Wal Mart). Yes they kink but are
easily unkinked, usually just by walking down them and kicking them.
They also don't kink in the same places. About the same amoutn of
kinks as a heavy duty one but the fooling around unkinking beats them
hands down.

Harry K
Old 22-07-2009, 08:36 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiCuse View Post
I have two of the home depot variety "kink free" garden hoses. They are far
from kink free, in fact they kink all the time when you stretch them out.
When you roll them back up you have to keep flipping the hose the right way
so it won't kink.

However, I have a very old hose probably more than 15 years I found in this
garage and it never kinks. It does not kink because it does not flatten not
even a little bit. I think it's made of rubber. Are those better hoses
than the modern day vinyl hoses?

MC
Hi,
I have a 1" rubber hose that would never think of kinking, of course,
this is a monster.

My guess is that thinner hoses will be more likely to kink, look for
substance, no matter what you get, if this is a concern.
http://Garden-Planters.com