Old 26-07-2009, 03:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Help identifying a wasp please

On 7/26/09 10:24 AM, in article ,
"brooklyn1" wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 7/26/09 9:47 AM, in article ,
"brooklyn1" wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 7/25/09 7:48 PM, in article ,
"brooklyn1" wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 7/25/09 2:45 PM, in article
,
"Leon Fisk" wrote:

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 09:00:22 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

snip
Neat site. I'm thinking of calling the extension service on Monday
for
help.
After all, I do pay my taxes...

FWIW one of the local extension services in my area use to
handle calls like this via Master Gardener volunteers. It
was one of the niftier things for them, per a Master
Gardener trainee I once knew. You wouldn't believe the stuff
people call in/ask questions about.

I've been reading your posts for years now and there is a
really good chance that you will know more about this than
the people you are planning to call ;-)

No harm in trying though...

Several pictures of the nest and in situ would be really
helpful. I couldn't fully grok what this thing looked like
from your description.

I realized, while out among the daylilies today, that I had the
prefect
resource - a fellow daylily nut that has a Ph.D in bugs! I'm going to
try
and take a few pictures in the AM and mail them off to him.

La di dah, an Entomologist... how come we don't merit pictures...
whadda
we,
chopped liver? :-(

Can't post to the binary groups, no access.

Don't need any stinkin' binary group:
http://tinypic.com/

As I said - moot point - nest got eaten....

Your moot needs to get eaten.

I don't often flame,

BUT

Sheldon - first go back to school and learn to use a dictionary

Second

**** OFF - I'd have said buzz off but you are a lower life form than a gnat

Old 26-07-2009, 08:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 18:30:26 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

snip
I realized, while out among the daylilies today, that I had the prefect
resource - a fellow daylily nut that has a Ph.D in bugs! I'm going to try
and take a few pictures in the AM and mail them off to him.

Here is another site that has pretty decent photos:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/384/bgimage?from=0

maybe this one in particular (Species Polistes fuscatus -
Northern Paper Wasp):

http://bugguide.net/node/view/14227/bgimage

This website has a better description for same:

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.ed..._fuscatus.html

There are quite a few entries in the Genus Polistes. See:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/572/tree

Not all of the Paper Wasps are particularly aggressive.

The purported "yellow-jackets" are a numerous Genus too. See
some of the possibilities he

http://bugguide.net/node/view/554/tree

Hopefully this will give you a better idea of why a picture
of the nest and detail of a specimen would be helpful

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Old 26-07-2009, 09:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/26/09 3:33 PM, in article ,
"Leon Fisk" wrote:

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 18:30:26 -0400, Cheryl Isaak

snip

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.ed...Polistes_fusca
tus.html

There are quite a few entries in the Genus Polistes. See:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/572/tree

Not all of the Paper Wasps are particularly aggressive.

The purported "yellow-jackets" are a numerous Genus too. See
some of the possibilities he

http://bugguide.net/node/view/554/tree

Hopefully this will give you a better idea of why a picture
of the nest and detail of a specimen would be helpful

I fully realize a picture is worth a thousand words. I do wish that a
resident critter could have waited until tonight to eat the nest.

Talking with my daylily buddy - most likely a paper wasp, we just don't know
which one. The complete docility was what was so amazing to me; even with me
about to yank the nest, no stings, no buzzing - nothing! Even he was
surprised by that.

I also realize Sheldon is a wart on the backside of this group.

Cheryl

Old 26-07-2009, 10:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 16:25:23 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

snip
Talking with my daylily buddy - most likely a paper wasp, we just don't know
which one. The complete docility was what was so amazing to me; even with me
about to yank the nest, no stings, no buzzing - nothing! Even he was
surprised by that.

We have the "Polistes dominula - European Paper Wasp" here
now. Don't remember them being around when I was a kid. From
what I can tell/surmise they weren't. Introduced, started on
the east coast and have been moving inland. More rapidly the
past few years.

I rub these out pretty regular around the place, where they
could be troublesome that is. They haven't stung me yet,
I've given them good opportunities too. The ground nesting
Yellow-jackets that look very similar are another story.
They get ****ed if you just stand by their nest a bit too
long. See:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/5081

They're suppose to have kinda orange antenna, which is a
good ID from what I could figure out. Well, maybe next time
you will be able to take a few more notes before
high-tailing it away ;-)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Old 26-07-2009, 10:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Leon Fisk" wrote:

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 18:30:26 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

snip
[...]

At least I'm not a wart on your moot... the stench! LOL

You didn't see any nest, or knowing you were going to post for an ID you
would have taken a picture immediately. And when those nests are
constructed the insects secret a toxic substance that repels other critters,
so it was not eaten, it simply blew away with the wind.

Old 26-07-2009, 11:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"brooklyn1" wrote:

And when those nests are
constructed the insects secret a toxic substance that repels other critters

They secret Shelly/brooklyn1/Mr. Hyde? What ever it is, you are
certainly excrement and way past your best used by date. Have you no
pride in yourself? Are you so sociopathically inclined that you are
unaware of how revolting you are? If you weren't so noxious, you'd be
pathetic. I take it there are no little Shellies running around, and I
clearly understand the reason.
--

- Billy

Racial injustice, war, urban blight, and environmental rape have a common denominator in our exploitative economic system.* ~Channing E. Phillips

Israeli Settlers Attack Palestinian Land
http://i2.democracynow.org/2009/7/22/headlines#7

http://i2.democracynow.org/2009/7/22/headlines#7
Old 26-07-2009, 11:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"brooklyn1" wrote:

And when those nests are
constructed the insects secret a toxic substance that repels other
critters

They secret Shelly/brooklyn1/Mr. Hyde?

What secret, I have no secret... no one has ever accused me of not saying
how I really feel. You on the other hand, little sissy that you are, are
****ed and perturbed because you're ascared I'm muscling in on your position
here of examining certain wimmin's moot warts... lookit all those moot warts
on your billygoat chinny chin chin. G

Ahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . .