Old 10-09-2009, 01:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Where is everyone

Putting their gardens to bed or waking them up, depending on location.

I'm still working on what will be a multiyear project of redoing my major
bed.

Cheryl
Southern NH

Old 10-09-2009, 02:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
Putting their gardens to bed or waking them up, depending on location.

I'm still working on what will be a multiyear project of redoing my major
bed.

Cheryl
Southern NH

Dennis Mayer from GBay, WI

I have 100 pretty nice, superbly Colorful 5' to 6' tall competition
Dahlias in bloom!!! They are the best in 5 years of growing 'em.

Been quietly working on my 300' G gauge Garden RR.. Hope to finish
it before Snow??

I check this news group twice a day for 4 years now. I say little here.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Putting their gardens to bed or waking them up, depending on location.

Yesterday I picked a bunch (~2 dozen) of tomatoes from the
neighbor-shocking front-yard garden. Gave some away to the neighbors.
Some were overripe and went into a pot of chili I made last night. I
gues due heavy rains last weekend, quite a few were "splitters", so
I'll have to use them up here.

There are still a number of ripening ones and a goodly number of
greenies of various sizes. I'm in zone 6a (St. Louis) so I expect I'll
harvesting for a while yet.

Brian

--
Day 220 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project
Old 10-09-2009, 11:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
Putting their gardens to bed or waking them up, depending on location.

I'm still working on what will be a multiyear project of redoing my
major bed.

Cheryl
Southern NH

Spring has come early so I am cutting asparagus and eagerly waiting for the
artichokes. I have trays of small seedlings which need to grow somewhat
before I plant them. There is an energetic young man staying with us so he
is weeding and manuring the beds in preparation while I check to see if he
is doing it right :-) He doesn't have much experience and his English is
somewhat fractured but he doesn't seem to mind spending his day shovelling
horseshot so he is earning his keep.

Speaking of asparagus I have masses of self-sown seedlings near the current
beds and under the shrubs where the little birds poop, so I have started a
new bed with them. You can never have too much asparagus.

Some rain would be good to really kick along the pasture, the horses are all
praying with me as they are tired of the remnants of last year's stubble and
looking for some sweet spring growth. But the days are pleasantly warm and
the night pleasantly cool. If life was perfect it would become boring and
so revert to imperfect.

David

Old 11-09-2009, 12:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 9/10/09 6:30 PM, in article , "David
Hare-Scott" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
[...]

Yum and double Yum - love asparagus.

Some rain would be good to really kick along the pasture, the horses are all
praying with me as they are tired of the remnants of last year's stubble and
looking for some sweet spring growth. But the days are pleasantly warm and
the night pleasantly cool. If life was perfect it would become boring and
so revert to imperfect.

David

It's dry here too - good in some ways, bad in others. My lawn could use a
soaking, but the last tomatoes will split if it does. Never got a cuke or a
pumpkin. Maybe next year.

Cheryl

Old 11-09-2009, 06:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 10, 1:08*pm, "Default User" wrote:
Cheryl Isaak wrote:
Putting their gardens to bed or waking them up, depending on location.

Yesterday I picked a bunch (~2 dozen) of tomatoes from the
neighbor-shocking front-yard garden. Gave some away to the neighbors.
Some were overripe and went into a pot of chili I made last night. I
gues due heavy rains last weekend, quite a few were "splitters", so
I'll have to use them up here.

The neighbors across from me have a front yard veg garden. It looks
very nice and tidy. The green beans have made an interesting sculpture
that offers shade to their front room.

Congrats to trend-setters of the front yard garden.

Karen
Old 11-09-2009, 09:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
Putting their gardens to bed or waking them up, depending on location..

Yesterday I picked a bunch (~2 dozen) of tomatoes from the
neighbor-shocking front-yard garden. Gave some away to the neighbors.
Some were overripe and went into a pot of chili I made last night. I
gues due heavy rains last weekend, quite a few were "splitters", so
I'll have to use them up here.

The neighbors across from me have a front yard veg garden. It looks
very nice and tidy. The green beans have made an interesting sculpture
that offers shade to their front room.

Congrats to trend-setters of the front yard garden.

Karen

I'm still around, Cheryl; still picking cherry tomatoes in droves.
They
did much better than the full-sized ones -- what the squirrels left
me, that is. I got to the point of tying paper bags around the
ripening
ones we I could get a taste.

Tomato volunteers appearing in droves where the cherry
tomatoes dropped from the vines. This year I am hardening
my heart and thinning EARLY!

One of the neighbors bought a humane trap recently
Whether it was he, or who? someibe just pointed out that
WE HAVE NOT SEEN ANY SQUIRRELS lately. I doubt if it's
Animal Control; they wouldn't even come out for raccoons; they
sniff "we don't trap healthy animals". Well, la, de da!

Other than that, I still have corn coming in big-time. This
year I staggered plantings so they wouldn't all ripen at once.

Planted lima beans for the first time. They're just flowering;
so cute! Also planted carrots, green onions, snap peas,
radishes.

Cantaloupes about finished -- again, what the squirrels
left me (:

That's it for food.

Decoratively, I've been tackling some hard jobs. Getting rid of
those straight reed things (name?) was miserable.
They propagate underground; always popping up
where not wanted. I worked very hard getting rid of
a clump so I could make a path through the landscaping
to the back. This involves moving Clivia, which has to
be done carefully. DOES YOUR CLIVIA GET SUNBURNED???

Broken slate stepping stones with little Blue Fescue in between.
That can handle stepping on, of which there won't be much.

Maybe I'll take a picture when it's all in and post.

Then I have to get a big plant for the front (North), which
gets a LOT of Western sun in summer, and less in
winter, esp. because of shorter days.

Thanks for listening!

Hypatia

Old 11-09-2009, 10:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
Putting their gardens to bed or waking them up, depending on
location.

Yesterday I picked a bunch (~2 dozen) of tomatoes from the
neighbor-shocking front-yard garden.

The neighbors across from me have a front yard veg garden. It looks
very nice and tidy. The green beans have made an interesting sculpture
that offers shade to their front room.

My backyard faces west, and it has two large maple trees, plus the
neighbors across the back fence have large trees. It's very shady in
the back, which is great for lounging on the deck, but not so much for
tomatoes.

The front yard has only a crabapple close to the house, and obviously
faces east. I dug up ivy that was growing along the driveway and put in
a few tomato and poblano plants where they get sun a very large part of
the day. The results have been pretty good, although it got a tad
crowded. Might expand next year.

Brian

--
Day 221 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project

Old 12-09-2009, 12:36 AM posted to rec.gardens

Chasing mile-a-minute vine.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA -
Old 15-09-2009, 07:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

Hare-Scott" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
[...]

and we just got our first rain in northern California, dang.
--
"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist."
-Archbishop Helder Camara

http://tinyurl.com/o63ruj
http://countercurrents.org/roberts020709.htm