Old 18-11-2009, 04:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Making a rain barrel

I would like to make a rain barrel. I have no idea where to get a used
food grade barrel. There are no bottling plants in my area. Are there
other possible sources I could try?
Richard

Old 18-11-2009, 09:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

richardg wrote:
I would like to make a rain barrel. I have no idea where to get a used
food grade barrel. There are no bottling plants in my area. Are there
other possible sources I could try?
Richard

Try recyclers and rural supply shops.

David
Old 18-11-2009, 09:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

richardg wrote:
I would like to make a rain barrel. I have no idea where to get a used
food grade barrel. There are no bottling plants in my area. Are there
other possible sources I could try?
Richard

If all else fails you can always buy one online. Just do a Google search
for "food-grade drum" (without the quotes) and you will have enough hits to
keep you busy for a long time. You should be able to narrow the hits down
geographically pretty easily.

If you have a Tractor Supply store in your area they are worth a look too.
This would make a really great water storage tank:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/pickup-...n-dia--2125694

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Old 18-11-2009, 10:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

richardg wrote:

I would like to make a rain barrel. I have no idea where to get a used
food grade barrel. There are no bottling plants in my area. Are there
other possible sources I could try?
Richard

Why does food grade matter for collecting rain, rain isn't food grade.
And all wooden barrels are food grade unless used and contaminated
with toxins. Most folks use a clean heavy weight plastic trash can to
collect rain from downspouts.

Old 18-11-2009, 11:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

"richardg" wrote in message
I would like to make a rain barrel. I have no idea where to get a used
food grade barrel. There are no bottling plants in my area. Are there
other possible sources I could try?

I buy big barrels that have been used for the importation of olives in bulk
before repacking. I buy them from my local produce store - most produce
stores have them in this country. Not knowing which country you live in, I
cant' be more specific about where you could search.

Old 19-11-2009, 12:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

"brooklyn1" wrote in message
richardg wrote:

I would like to make a rain barrel. I have no idea where to get a used
food grade barrel. There are no bottling plants in my area. Are there
other possible sources I could try?
Richard

Why does food grade matter for collecting rain, rain isn't food grade.

It is if you live in rural Australia where everyone drinks rainwater.

Old 19-11-2009, 08:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

"richardg" wrote in message
I would like to make a rain barrel. I have no idea where to get a used
food grade barrel. There are no bottling plants in my area. Are there
other possible sources I could try?
Richard

I bought one of these last summer for $120.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Business-fa...-254842596.htm

1000L and set up at the back of my garage. I stacked it on 3 wooden pallets.

It came in to the country with a detergent in it. A thorough clean got rid
of most of the residue. I use it for the garden, not for drinking water.

rob

Old 19-11-2009, 03:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Nov 18, 12:34*pm, Charlie wrote:
On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 08:49:36 -0800 (PST), richardg
Thanks Charlie,

Capitolcontainer sells used plastic 55 gallon barrels for $15. I have
lived in Albany for 39 years and I never knew about them.
Richard

wrote:
I would like to make a rain barrel. I have no idea where to get a used
food grade barrel. There are no bottling plants in my area. Are there
other possible sources I could try?
Richard

You appear to be in the Albany area....if so, how about these.

http://www.barrelsupply.com/barrels.htm

http://www.capitolcontainer.com/cccrecon.htm

Try any recycler, as many of the drums end up with them.

Charlie

Old 19-11-2009, 06:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,

wrote:
I would like to make a rain barrel. I have no idea where to get a used
food grade barrel. There are no bottling plants in my area. Are there
other possible sources I could try?
Richard

You appear to be in the Albany area....if so, how about these.

http://www.barrelsupply.com/barrels.htm

http://www.capitolcontainer.com/cccrecon.htm

Try any recycler, as many of the drums end up with them.

Charlie

Check your local car wash places. The containers of soap and wax comes
in 55 gallon barrels. Most will give the barrels away for free. As for
food grade, I don't know.

Enjoy Life ... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.

Old 19-11-2009, 06:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

I would like to make a rain barrel. I have no idea where to get a used
food grade barrel. There are no bottling plants in my area. Are there
other possible sources I could try?
Richard

You appear to be in the Albany area....if so, how about these.

http://www.barrelsupply.com/barrels.htm

http://www.capitolcontainer.com/cccrecon.htm

Try any recycler, as many of the drums end up with them.

Charlie

A 50 gal. or 60 gal. barrel won't go far in addressing your water needs.
It may be easier to dig a cistern and pump the water out.
--
"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist."
-Archbishop Helder Camara

http://tinyurl.com/o63ruj
http://countercurrents.org/roberts020709.htm
Old 20-11-2009, 12:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 16:56:03 -0500, John McGaw
wrote:

richardg wrote:
I would like to make a rain barrel. I have no idea where to get a used
food grade barrel. There are no bottling plants in my area. Are there
other possible sources I could try?
Richard

If all else fails you can always buy one online. Just do a Google search
for "food-grade drum" (without the quotes) and you will have enough hits to
keep you busy for a long time. You should be able to narrow the hits down
geographically pretty easily.

If you have a Tractor Supply store in your area they are worth a look too.
This would make a really great water storage tank:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/pickup-...n-dia--2125694

Wow, sticker shock! No reasonable rain barrel here. I may construct
one since I have a supply of white oak.
Old 27-11-2009, 06:50 AM
Registered User

Location: uk

Hello

1: Build the Platform First
2: Measure and Cut the Platform Top
3: Cut the Frame
4: Measure and Cut the Legs
5: Assemble the Stand
6: Bolster the Legs
7: Dig Holes
8: Add Concrete, Let Cure
9: Add Lattice Work

Thanks
Old 04-05-2011, 05:52 PM
Registered User

I buy big barrels that accept been acclimated for the access of olives in bulk before repacking. I buy them from my bounded aftermath abundance - a lot of produce stores accept them in this country. Not alive which country you reside in, I cant' be added specific about area you could search.
Plant Grow Lights