Old 15-02-2010, 11:15 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Simple things that make gardening easier/fun

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 13:21:32 +1100, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given
wrote:

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "FarmI" ask@itshall be given contains these words:

"Bill who putters" wrote in message
Wonder if you folks found something that resonates with the subject.

I had trouble for many years ( Don't ask ) with wheelbarrow tires going
flat due to cold weather.

About 35 years ago, when we were both young and gorgeous but more
impoverished than we are now, we bought a cheap wheelbarrow that ahd a
solid
wheel. We still own that wheelbarrow and have never owned another one.

It never occurred to us that wheel barrow tyres went flat until a friend
of
ours was whinging about how often her tyre was flat and how often she was
unable to use the wheelbarrow - a novel concept to us since our barrow
has
always been available to use.

Last year I wanted to buy a wheelbarrow for the son-in-law so went
looking
for a wheelbarrow with a solid tyre - no such thing could be found in any
nursery or harware shop or in any of the catalogues in these places.

Builders merchants (real ones, not DIY sheds) sell much more robust
ones.

True, they are sturdy but unfortunately every single one of the barrows
available in any supplier has pump up tyres.

I've never had a problem with pneumatic tires... perhaps over winter
they lose some air but with small tires that can easily be remedied
with a few strokes with a bicycle pump. Don't yoose folks ever top
off the air in your automobile tires? I have a small electric
compressor too, $50 at Sears, very handy especially since nowadays gas
stations charge for air, and many don't even have compressed air.
Oh, I forgot to mention that I also have two tractors with pneumatic
tires, those would be a real pain to top off since the nearest service
station would require a ten mile round trip. I forgot to mention that
my monster Simplicity tiller has two pneumatic tires, good size agri
tread, wouldn't operate with smooth solid tires.. And I have two
automobiles (SUVs), each with 5 pneumatic tires. I also own an actual
bicycle that has it's own tire pump attached, that I also use for
pumping up two soccer balls for the grands. If I keep thinking I'll
probably remember more pneumatics. Living here would be a real pain
without at least a hand pump but I found a small compressor a
neccessity.
Old 15-02-2010, 11:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 17:41:14 -0800, "Bob F"
wrote:

brooklyn1 wrote:
On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 14:52:28 GMT, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

[...]

Janet

Contractor wheelbarrows are much too heavy and cumbersome for
gardening and under load don't roll easily over earth (tradesmen
typically lay down heavy wooden planks for wheelbarrow paths) so
they're virtually useless in and about a garden. For moving bulky and
light weight items (tools, mulch, etc.) that a typical gardener would
a lightweight wheelbarrow or a four wheeled garden cart is far more
suitable. Contractor wheelbarrows are even too heavy for most folks
when empty. For gardening a 4 cu ft barrow is plenty big enough and
one with a plastic tray is even better, easier to clean and no rust.

A whole lot of opinion stated as fact. What nonsense!

Who on earth buys a wheelbarrow for carrying a few garden tools. They are for
dirt, sand, cement, firewood, rocks, cinderblocks, etc. all of which are hauled
better in a good heavy duty wheelbarrow.

We're talking *gardening* here, not builder contracting. Most home
gardeners can't handle a fully laden contractors wheelbarrow
(certainly the typical female can't - and I'm not being sexist, just
stating fact, most guys can't either), nor do they have a place to
store it. And contractors don't use wheelbarrows to mix small
quantities of cement anymore, they use plastic tubs on the ground,
often at the end of the job they toss em in the dumpster... for larger
jobs they use a cement mixer. And if I have heavy loads to haul,
which I often do, my mommy didn't raise a donkey, I have a garden cart
(actually two) that are easier and safer to pull by hand but I
typically I haul them with a garden tractor... when I have loads of
dirt, sand, anything heavy and in large quantity I use the bucket on
my tractor. For the typical homeowner a contractor's wheelbarrow is
not only awkward, it's extremely dangerous... for the home gardener
it's a stupid thing to own, it'll rarely if ever get used... you are
the one full of nonsense... in fact by the nonsense you spewed I don't
believe you own any wheelbarrow.

Old 15-02-2010, 12:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 11:45:18 GMT, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from "Bob F" contains these words:

wrote:

Builders merchants (real ones, not DIY sheds) sell much more
robust ones.

Janet

Contractor wheelbarrows are much too heavy and cumbersome for
gardening and under load don't roll easily over earth (tradesmen
typically lay down heavy wooden planks for wheelbarrow paths)

That's exactly what we do. Hardly rocket science, is it?

Our kind of gardening often involves moving heavy building materials.
Contractor barrows are far better ergonomically designed so even with
a heavy load they can be easier to use than a lightweight plastic one
overflowing with Sheldon's manure.

You must be built like Powerful Katrinka. LOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLrG_1g2Cys

Old 15-02-2010, 04:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Janet Baraclough wrote:

The message
from brooklyn1 contains these words:

wrote:

Who on earth buys a wheelbarrow for carrying a few garden tools. They
are for
dirt, sand, cement, firewood, rocks, cinderblocks, etc. all of which
are hauled
better in a good heavy duty wheelbarrow.

We're talking *gardening* here, not builder contracting.

Many gardeners here make their own paths, walls, ponds, fences,
structures.

Most home
gardeners can't handle a fully laden contractors wheelbarrow
(certainly the typical female can't

I can ( 5 ft 2) and I know many professional gardeners who do.

nor do they have a place to store it.

You're getting desperate now. Most keen gardeners have a shed, or
even, a garage, with plenty of space for a wheelbarrow.

And contractors don't use wheelbarrows to mix small
quantities of cement anymore, they use plastic tubs on the ground,
often at the end of the job they toss em in the dumpster... for larger
jobs they use a cement mixer.

LOL, I know many gardeners who own or rent a cement mixer. They use
the barrow to move the cement they made in the mixer.

And if I have heavy loads to haul,
which I often do, my mommy didn't raise a donkey

How does she feel about the ass?

anything heavy and in large quantity I use the bucket on
my tractor.

Gardeners who have no room to store a wheelbarrow (according to you)
are even less likely to own a tractor.

Janet

I just love a good gardening discussion with its' information, snappy
banter, invectives, biting, and gouging. But first, I really need some
popcorn. Good show guys ;O)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100119/...ting_activists
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/1/19/headlines
Old 15-02-2010, 08:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Wildbilly wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Aw, dang. I gotta big bowl of pop corn an' nothins' happenin'. Rats.

Old 15-02-2010, 11:52 PM
Registered User

Location: berkshire
Smile

hello im on this forum for the first time i am in the uk and we have had a few exceptional snow bouts this winter i am 45 and have no recall of the amounts and duration I have seen this year however my snowdrops have now started to emerge and I am so anticipating my daffs... I hope your damage to your property is minimal and your garden short lived, the power of nature is amazing...
Old 16-02-2010, 10:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Just because you have never had problems doesn't mean that others have never
had problems.

perhaps over winter
they lose some air but with small tires that can easily be remedied
with a few strokes with a bicycle pump.

Which does not fix a puncture and it was the problem with punctures, usually
in the wall of the tyre, that caused my friend such grief with their barrow.
It was that problem of having to fix the thing all the time that made me
appreciate my ancient barrow with solid tyres.

Old 16-02-2010, 11:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Builders merchants (real ones, not DIY sheds) sell much more
robust ones.

Janet

Contractor wheelbarrows are much too heavy and cumbersome for
gardening and under load don't roll easily over earth (tradesmen
typically lay down heavy wooden planks for wheelbarrow paths)

That's exactly what we do. Hardly rocket science, is it?

Our kind of gardening often involves moving heavy building materials.
Contractor barrows are far better ergonomically designed so even with
a heavy load they can be easier to use than a lightweight plastic one
overflowing with Sheldon's manure.

For those sorts of jobs, I've found that the sort of trolley that
removalists use works for me. I have trouble balancing a wheel barrow laden
with a lot of heavy materials but the 2 wheels of the removalists type
trolley seem to be better for me and mean that I can manage and manage well.
Luckily it's usually bone dry and hard ground here as I know I couldn't use
it in soft ground.

Old 16-02-2010, 01:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Builders merchants (real ones, not DIY sheds) sell much more
robust ones.

Janet

Contractor wheelbarrows are much too heavy and cumbersome for
gardening and under load don't roll easily over earth (tradesmen
typically lay down heavy wooden planks for wheelbarrow paths)

That's exactly what we do. Hardly rocket science, is it?

Our kind of gardening often involves moving heavy building materials.
Contractor barrows are far better ergonomically designed so even with
a heavy load they can be easier to use than a lightweight plastic one
overflowing with Sheldon's manure.

Your stories ain't beliveable. You don't own any wheelbarrow, you
don't do any gardening, you don't own a place to garden, your hands
have never touched dirt.... at most Janet has a Chia pet! LOL

For those sorts of jobs, I've found that the sort of trolley that
removalists use works for me. I have trouble balancing a wheel barrow laden
with a lot of heavy materials but the 2 wheels of the removalists type
trolley seem to be better for me and mean that I can manage and manage well.
Luckily it's usually bone dry and hard ground here as I know I couldn't use
it in soft ground.

I tried one of those two wheeled trams, wasn't configured well for
gardening and to push over unpaved ground is impossible, didn't work
for me... distances here are too great even for a regular wheelbarrow
with a full load... my veggie garden is 250' from my garden shed,
without a cart I'd spend all my time and energy lugging stuff to and
fro.

Normal folks with small properties even for heavy loads use smaller
weelbarrows if only for saftey, and sionce distances are small they
make a few extra trips... folks with larger properties use small carts
they can pull or tow with small tractors... over distances any
wheelbarrow is useless, especially over grades, even slight grades
(pushing a heavy wheelbarrow down even a slight grade it will get away
from you). I use my gardener sized wheelbarrow for light tasks, note
it in pic below. And for heavier/bulkier loads I use different sized
carts; light loads over short distances I can pull, heavier loads and
those over long distances I tow with a small tractor. The yellow cart
gets the most use (attaches to tractor too), great to load up with
long handled tools, bags of mulch, buckets of compost, all sorts of
small tools (pruners, loppers, saws, etc), even chain saw, with fuel,
oil, etc., and haul all at once to the work site without making extra
trips. My Agrifab dump cart is great for heavier loads. I even have
a cart for my trash cans... my mommy didn't raise a donkey.

http://i49.tinypic.com/2zjlzx3.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/30wpn48.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/2f06cux.jpg
For little people this is all the cart you need:
http://i50.tinypic.com/9idbts.jpg

For the very occasional Powerful Katrinka sized job I use this
contractor's wheelbarrow:
http://i47.tinypic.com/vem154.jpg

Powerful Katrinka can even plow snow... mush, Janet, mush! LOL
http://i50.tinypic.com/200f0w.jpg
Old 16-02-2010, 01:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Wheelbarrow tires don't get sidewall punctures... no way do I believe
your stories... you must be Janet's clone. Geeze, yoose brits must
have a lot of inbreeding, yoose all have that patent liar gene. You
don't do any gardening either... soon as you start talking your
neighbor I know you're a I-can-top-your-story barroom liar. Farm1
your ass, you've never been within a hundred miles from any farm,
maybe a tenement ghetto ant farm.

Old 16-02-2010, 04:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Feb 16, 5:36 am, Janet Baraclough
wrote:
The message
from brooklyn1 contains these words:

Normal folks

They're on the other side of the security fence, Sheldon. You'll
never get to meet one

Janet

ROTFLMAO

I am so glad to have you back, Janet!
Missed you.
Emilie
NorCal (where it was 69 F yesterday)
Old 16-02-2010, 04:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
[...]

Without an air compressor conveniently located, best to stay away from
pneumatic tires. I've pumped them up with a bicycle pump, it works,
but prefer a solid tire without a compressor.
Old 17-02-2010, 11:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Builders merchants (real ones, not DIY sheds) sell much more
robust ones.

Janet

Contractor wheelbarrows are much too heavy and cumbersome for
gardening and under load don't roll easily over earth (tradesmen
typically lay down heavy wooden planks for wheelbarrow paths)

That's exactly what we do. Hardly rocket science, is it?

Our kind of gardening often involves moving heavy building materials.
Contractor barrows are far better ergonomically designed so even with
a heavy load they can be easier to use than a lightweight plastic one
overflowing with Sheldon's manure.

Your stories ain't beliveable. You don't own any wheelbarrow, you
don't do any gardening, you don't own a place to garden, your hands
have never touched dirt.... at most Janet has a Chia pet! LOL

Rubbish Sheldon!

I have seen pics of 2 of Janet's gardens (the one she has now and a previous
one where she lived before) and they have both been glorious. I've also
seen pics of your garden and I'd rate Janet's gardening skills as superior
to yours. She's has good plant knowledge and she has a good designer's eye
for what looks good in a garden.

Old 17-02-2010, 11:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
[...]

Crap Sheldon. On your manicured acres they may not.

no way do I believe
your stories... you must be Janet's clone. Geeze, yoose brits must
have a lot of inbreeding, yoose all have that patent liar gene.

And you can't even do a Properties check.

You
don't do any gardening either... soon as you start talking your
neighbor I know you're a I-can-top-your-story barroom liar. Farm1
your ass, you've never been within a hundred miles from any farm,
maybe a tenement ghetto ant farm.

Actually we own 2 farms - the one we live on and another one 70 kms away.
We breed Angus cattle Sheldon. Unlike you, we do not live on a few acres of
semi rural land.