Old 29-04-2010, 01:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default fixing broken plants

Every now and then some poor plant or bush in garden gets lopped off.
The latest was a cuke that had a tree branch fall on it. I now just have
the stem poking up. Is there any way to fix or at least alleviate the
damage?

To my chagrin, weeds always seem to easily recover.

Jeff
(not such a good gardener!)
Old 29-04-2010, 02:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

Every now and then some poor plant or bush in garden gets lopped off.
The latest was a cuke that had a tree branch fall on it. I now just have
the stem poking up. Is there any way to fix or at least alleviate the
damage?

To my chagrin, weeds always seem to easily recover.

Jeff
(not such a good gardener!)

I've used make shift splints for bent damage annuals. But I'd just
replant a cuke that was cut off.

Bill

--

łThat means on average 18 veterans commit suicide
each day."
Old 29-04-2010, 02:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

Jeff Thies wrote:

Every now and then some poor plant or bush in garden gets lopped off.
The latest was a cuke that had a tree branch fall on it. I now just have
the stem poking up. Is there any way to fix or at least alleviate the
damage?

Best to plant anew... with no axillary bud remaining an annual won't
leaf.

To my chagrin, weeds always seem to easily recover.

Jeff
(not such a good gardener!)

Weeds are typically perennial.
Old 29-04-2010, 02:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

brooklyn1 wrote:
Jeff Thies wrote:

Every now and then some poor plant or bush in garden gets lopped off.
The latest was a cuke that had a tree branch fall on it. I now just have
the stem poking up. Is there any way to fix or at least alleviate the
damage?

Best to plant anew... with no axillary bud remaining an annual won't
leaf.

To my chagrin, weeds always seem to easily recover.

Jeff
(not such a good gardener!)

Weeds are typically perennial.

OK, I understand the theory now. Thanks to all.

Jeff
Old 29-04-2010, 05:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 29, 5:56*am, Jeff Thies wrote:
* *Every now and then some poor plant or bush in garden gets lopped off.
The latest was a cuke that had a tree branch fall on it. I now just have
the stem poking up. Is there any way to fix or at least alleviate the
damage?

* *To my chagrin, weeds always seem to easily recover.

* *Jeff
(not such a good gardener!)

Was it already bearing? Or very young? If it's already
well established, what have you got to lose if you just wait a while
to see
if it recovers? Be nice to it; give it some (not overwhelming
amount) of good food and gentle water, and send positive
thoughts g.

Old 29-04-2010, 06:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Higgs Boson wrote:

On Apr 29, 5:56*am, Jeff Thies wrote:
* *Every now and then some poor plant or bush in garden gets lopped off.
The latest was a cuke that had a tree branch fall on it. I now just have
the stem poking up. Is there any way to fix or at least alleviate the
damage?

* *To my chagrin, weeds always seem to easily recover.

* *Jeff
(not such a good gardener!)

Was it already bearing? Or very young? If it's already
well established, what have you got to lose if you just wait a while
to see
if it recovers? Be nice to it; give it some (not overwhelming
amount) of good food and gentle water, and send positive
thoughts g.

Without leaves, it is pretty slim pickin's.
--
- Billy
Old 29-04-2010, 06:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

Boson wrote:

Jeff Thies wrote:
* *Every now and then some poor plant or bush in garden gets lopped off.
The latest was a cuke that had a tree branch fall on it. I now just have
the stem poking up. Is there any way to fix or at least alleviate the
damage?

* *To my chagrin, weeds always seem to easily recover.

Was it already bearing? Or very young? If it's already
well established, what have you got to lose if you just wait a while
to see
if it recovers? Be nice to it; give it some (not overwhelming
amount) of good food and gentle water, and send positive
thoughts g.

No matter how much food, water, niceness, and positive thoughts are
sent your way, once you've been castrated you ain't gonna reproduce.
Old 29-04-2010, 06:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article
,
Higgs Boson wrote:

On Apr 29, 5:56*am, Jeff Thies wrote:
* *Every now and then some poor plant or bush in garden gets lopped off.
The latest was a cuke that had a tree branch fall on it. I now just have
the stem poking up. Is there any way to fix or at least alleviate the
damage?

* *To my chagrin, weeds always seem to easily recover.

* *Jeff
(not such a good gardener!)

Was it already bearing? Or very young? If it's already
well established, what have you got to lose if you just wait a while
to see
if it recovers? Be nice to it; give it some (not overwhelming
amount) of good food and gentle water, and send positive
thoughts g.

Without leaves, it is pretty slim pickin's.

Slim Pickens one of my favorite actors along with Andy Devine. Both
liked to garden )

Bill
Old 29-04-2010, 09:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article
,
Higgs Boson wrote:

[...]

Don't for get Rip Torn. I just love getting Ripped, ah, hmmm, Torn that
is. I'm waiting now for Netflix to send me Cross Creek (1983) for which
he was nominated for an Oscar as best supporting actor. He attended
Texas A & M and the University of Texas, where he majored in animal
husbandry. I understand that they have a lot of good, hmmm, ah, manure
there. I can't garden without it ;O))
--
- Billy
Old 29-04-2010, 09:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article
,
Higgs Boson wrote:

[...]

Don't you just love the English language. It's all in the context
however small or large that is.

" I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He
was healthy right up to the day he killed himself."

Johnny Carson

Old 29-04-2010, 10:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article
,
Higgs Boson wrote:

[...]

A journalist assigned to the Jerusalem bureau takes an apartment
overlooking the historic Wailing Wall. Everyday when she looks out, she
sees an old bearded Jewish man praying vigorously. Certain he would be
a good interview subject, the journalist goes down to the Wall and
introduces herself to the old man. She asks, "You come every day to the
Wall, sir, how long have you been doing that and what are you praying
for?"

The old man replies, "I have come here to pray every day for 25 years.
In the morning I pray for world peace and for the brotherhood of man. I
go home, have a cup of tea, and I come back and pray for the eradication
of illness and disease from the earth. And very, very important, I pray
for peace and understanding between the Israelis and Palestinians."

The journalist is very impressed. "How does it make you feel to come
here every day for 25 years and pray for these wonderful things?" she
asks.

The old man replies calmly, "Like I'm talking to a wall."
--
- Billy

[IMG] code is On

Shipped tomato plants...broken tip DigitalVinyl Gardening 7 28-05-2005 01:10 PM
Ideas for fixing the VF BenignVanilla Ponds 1 02-07-2003 04:44 PM
Fixing the pond edge Paul DeWolf Ponds 2 25-05-2003 06:08 PM
Fixing tiller Michael Shaffer Gardening 10 25-04-2003 05:44 AM
Fixing Bird Box Chris French and Helen Johnson United Kingdom 2 22-03-2003 11:30 AM