Old 23-05-2010, 02:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Brocolli, starting to flower

One of the my Brocolli plants is already flowering?

I purchased it as a seedling. It was rather large and already starting
to bud. Some later reading on the net led me to believe this plant might
not have been the best seedling since it was already budding. Is this
true? Should I cut back on this flowering bud and await new shoots? Is
this plant still viable for producing food?

Another of the two is similarly budding, but not yet flowering. Anything
I should be doing with it?

Thanks, I'm new at brocolli plants.

Old 23-05-2010, 07:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

g'day dirtbag,

none of this may help of course as i am in a sub-tropical region.

when any brassica bolts for us it usually means the days are too hot
that is why we grow ours broccolli included through the winter months
ove here our winters might be close to your autumn or spring. plus
growing n winte over here means no pests.

never heard of any seedling being more susseptable to bolting than
another. you could try cutting off that head maybe still edible? and
seewaht occurs with the new growths my thinking if it is season issue
that they will still bolt.

might be you have to pick the heads for eating when smaller.

On Sun, 23 May 2010 13:43:07 +0000 (UTC), DirtBag
wrote:
snipped
--

Matthew 25:13 KJV
"Watch therefore, for ye know neither

len

With peace and brightest of blessings,

"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 24-05-2010, 12:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

DirtBag wrote:
One of the my Brocolli plants is already flowering?

I purchased it as a seedling. It was rather large and already
starting to bud. Some later reading on the net led me to believe
this plant might not have been the best seedling since it was already
budding. Is this true? Should I cut back on this flowering bud and
await new shoots? Is this plant still viable for producing food?

Another of the two is similarly budding, but not yet flowering.
Anything I should be doing with it?

Thanks, I'm new at brocolli plants.

Cut the heads while they are still tight and dark coloured, before the
flowers start to open. More will grow from lower down.

David

Old 24-05-2010, 12:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

DirtBag wrote:
One of the my Brocolli plants is already flowering?

I purchased it as a seedling. It was rather large and already
starting to bud. Some later reading on the net led me to believe
this plant might not have been the best seedling since it was already
budding. Is this true? Should I cut back on this flowering bud and
await new shoots? Is this plant still viable for producing food?

Another of the two is similarly budding, but not yet flowering.
Anything I should be doing with it?

Thanks, I'm new at brocolli plants.

Cut the heads while they are still tight and dark coloured, before the
flowers start to open. More will grow from lower down.

David

.. . . and mulch like crazy to keep the ground cool.
--
- Billy
Old 29-05-2010, 08:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

Billy said

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

DirtBag wrote:
One of the my Brocolli plants is already flowering?

I purchased it as a seedling. It was rather large and already
starting to bud. Some later reading on the net led me to believe
this plant might not have been the best seedling since it was

already
budding. Is this true? Should I cut back on this flowering bud and
await new shoots? Is this plant still viable for producing food?

Another of the two is similarly budding, but not yet flowering.
Anything I should be doing with it?

Thanks, I'm new at brocolli plants.

Cut the heads while they are still tight and dark coloured, before the
flowers start to open. More will grow from lower down.

David

. . . and mulch like crazy to keep the ground cool.

....makes me think planting brocolli in raised beds might not be a good
idea? I thought early soil warming was one of the "benefits" of raised
beds. Any thoughts?

Old 29-05-2010, 10:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
DirtBag wrote:

Billy said

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

DirtBag wrote:
[...]

It's a cool weather plant (spring & fall). Maybe try starting it in
March next year. Where are you?
--
- Billy
Old 30-05-2010, 01:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

DirtBag wrote:
Billy said

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

DirtBag wrote:
[...]

Raised beds may be important for other reasons. Better to grow it in cool
seasons, it doesn't bolt so quickly and you get a rest from cabbage moth
etc. When your cool seasons are depends on your climate.

David

Old 31-05-2010, 07:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

Billy said

Cut the heads while they are still tight and dark coloured,
before the flowers start to open. More will grow from lower
down.

David

. . . and mulch like crazy to keep the ground cool.

...makes me think planting brocolli in raised beds might not be a
good idea? I thought early soil warming was one of the "benefits"
of raised beds. Any thoughts?

It's a cool weather plant (spring & fall). Maybe try starting it in
March next year. Where are you?

Indiana.

I tried starting brocolli seedlings, 20MAR, on my own. I didn't use any
grow light so they were - well, wimpy. They are now long since
transplanted to the garden but I think they are too late.

My more successful brocolli plants were two store-bought plants. These
already had some spears when purchased. These are the ones producing now.

I also bought some smaller ones 23MAY, they are progressing fine but I
fear also too late. Again, I'm new at this brocolli stuff ...

I'm really looking forward to late summer, I'm ready for another swing.

Not that the spears I'm getting now aren't great! They are just spears
only a gardener could love. ;-)

I'm just loving this gardening thing. All the help from this group is
greatly appreciated!
Old 04-06-2010, 02:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 30 May 2010 10:57:56 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

DirtBag wrote:
Billy said

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

DirtBag wrote:
[...]

Where I live, broccoli, cabbage and brussel sprouts get too much
summer heat to grow well. Maybe the same for my radishes which seems
like they want to grow large leaves, send out flowers, and grow little
roots. We are having adequate rainfall, not too much/too little. The
garden soil was ammended with compost this spring, so maybe not
nutrient related.