Old 05-07-2010, 05:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Invasive weed/grass in my lawn

On Jul 5, 10:04*am, wrote:
Pat Kiewicz writes:
hrbob said:

I have the invasive grass/weed shown in the picture in many places in
my lawn. *The spots of weeds *pop up with no apparent source. *They do
no respond to weed killer, and they crowd out regular lawn grass. *I
am in the Chicago suburbs. *Can anyone tell me what the grayish green
grass/weed is and how to get rid of it?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhofmann/4761771580/

Not crabgrass, as crabgrass is an annual.

Could be Nimblewill:
http://www.msuturfweeds.net/details/_/nimblewill_44/

It's perennial, has the leaf blades coming off of stalks so blends horribly
with typical lawn grasses, starts growing late, turns brown early.

You can spot treat with something like Roundup (or try dig it out) and
then patch with good *seed or sod.

I've got some patches of it way in the back, and it doesn't play nice
with the other grasses at all. *Nor is it pleasant to walk on.

I think you win the prize!

I have something that looks similar. *Up until now I thought it was
nutgrass. *Based on that I tried (a pre-emergent this year) no luck.

So far it looks like there is no good treatment for nimblewill other
than to nuke the lawn (Roundup). *Not good. *I've been pulling the stuff
for years with little success.- Hide quoted text -

Pat is 100% correct with her diagnosis, the photo in her posting looks
exactly like my weed. Now if we could only find something useful to
do with the weed, I could get rich. I will have to settle for a lot
of pulling, I guess, as I don't want to kill all the spots where it is
popping up, that would look even worse that what I have.

Thanks to all who responded, especially Pat K.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
"hr(bob) " wrote:

On Jul 5, 10:04*am, wrote:
Pat Kiewicz writes:
hrbob said:

[...]

http://www.google.com/search?client=...will+vinagar&i
e=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?
Old 05-07-2010, 05:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 5, 9:44*am, Bill who putters wrote:
In article
,
*"hr(bob) " wrote:

On Jul 5, 10:04*am, wrote:
Pat Kiewicz writes:
hrbob said:

[...]

*http://tinyurl.com/277bz9m- Hide quoted text -

More info on grassy weeds identification can be looked up he
http://www.ergonica.net/catalog/inde...identification

Ray
Ergonica
Old 05-07-2010, 06:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

Bill who putters writes:

In article
,
"hr(bob) " wrote:

On Jul 5, 10:04*am, wrote:
Pat Kiewicz writes:
hrbob said:

[...]

That's a google search for nimbelwill and vinagar(sic).

If you have some useful links, please post them instead.

Thanks.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/4/2010 5:00 PM, hr(bob) wrote:
I have the invasive grass/weed shown in the picture in many places in
my lawn. The spots of weeds pop up with no apparent source. They do
no respond to weed killer, and they crowd out regular lawn grass. I
am in the Chicago suburbs. Can anyone tell me what the grayish green
grass/weed is and how to get rid of it?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhofmann/4761771580/

Thanks,

Bob Hofmann

Looks a bit like stuff invading my lawn in spots. Easily pulled and
broadleaf killer does not touch it. I think premerge suppresses it as
neighbors lawn out back is nearly 100% since he does not treat back.
Pulling and premerg are my recommendations.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 5, 3:16*pm, Frank wrote:
On 7/4/2010 5:00 PM, hr(bob) wrote:

I have the invasive grass/weed shown in the picture in many places in
my lawn. *The spots of weeds *pop up with no apparent source. *They do
no respond to weed killer, and they crowd out regular lawn grass. *I
am in the Chicago suburbs. *Can anyone tell me what the grayish green
grass/weed is and how to get rid of it?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhofmann/4761771580/

Thanks,

Bob Hofmann

Looks a bit like stuff invading my lawn in spots. *Easily pulled and
broadleaf killer does not touch it. *I think premerge suppresses it as
neighbors lawn out back is nearly 100% since he does not treat back.
Pulling and premerg are my recommendations.

I started pulling today, we'll see how long my back can hold out.

I am curious how this weed propogates. The plants don't seem to have
any flowers/seeds, and yet a new patch will start up 30 feet from any
other patches in the yard. I can understand spreding thru the roots,
but 30 feet is a long distance for a root without any visible
topping. Bird dropppings???? or what????
Old 06-07-2010, 03:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/5/10 7:07 PM, hr(bob) wrote:
On Jul 5, 3:16 pm, Frank wrote:
On 7/4/2010 5:00 PM, hr(bob) wrote:

[...]

Grass has flowers and seeds. Many smaller grasses have flowers that
escape notice. Generally, they are on short stalks and have "rays" like
miniature umbrella ribs. The seeds are smaller than the seeds that
speckle the outside of a strawberry.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 06-07-2010, 01:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 19:51:45 -0700, "David E. Ross"
wrote:

On 7/5/10 7:07 PM, hr(bob) wrote:
On Jul 5, 3:16 pm, Frank wrote:
On 7/4/2010 5:00 PM, hr(bob) wrote:

[...]

Grass seed is not nearly so small as strawberry seed.... grass seed is
actually quite large as seeds go... well, what one finds in a bag of
grass seed from the store... most commercial grass seed is a mixture,
even those claiming to be of a particular type still contain some
percentage of other seeds, including 'weed' seed.... the physical size
of a plant has little bearing on the size of its seed. Seeds produced
by the lawn itself are dispersed by animals but mostly by wind, and
those that stick to the bottoms of shoes as one walks about. Weeds
tyically start from those produced in a neighbors lawn... no matter
how much weed prevention one employs one cannot control nearby
properties... many seeds can travel great distances when airborne,
many miles.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

hr(bob) wrote:
I started pulling today, we'll see how long my back can hold out.

I am curious how this weed propogates. The plants don't seem to have
any flowers/seeds, and yet a new patch will start up 30 feet from any
other patches in the yard. I can understand spreding thru the roots,
but 30 feet is a long distance for a root without any visible
topping. Bird dropppings???? or what????

someplace else might be supplying
the seeds for it (how it got there to
begin with). or there might be seeds
coming in via other means (fertilizers,
composts, reseeding).

mulching mower, or animal movement
(birds sometimes pull pieces of turf and
mud to use as nest making materials and
then drop it (oh no a hawk!)).

if those are leaf nodules on the stems
some of those might be viable given
the right moisture and soil conditions.
any mower sucks and some of what
they suck may include stems that are
weakened and not deeply attached
with a bit of root. instant transport to
new location, regular watering and
there ya go.

more than likely though, is seeds
as some stems may lay flat enough to
not be clipped before flowering and
setting seed. after the seeds form
then they can be dispersed in a
near infinite number of ways (well
as far as i'm concerned, there's just
too many critters out there).

first and last of the above most
likely. the middle is just me being
pedantic. i left out the parts that
get caught in deer feet because
that only happens here.

good luck,

songbird
Old 06-07-2010, 08:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 6, 1:55*pm, "songbird" wrote:
hr(bob) wrote:

[...]

Well, we have cyotees(sp?), rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks, hawks,
owls, robins and God knows how many other wildlife types right in our
own yard, so anything is possible. I guess I'm stuck doing a lot of
pulling to control things.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

brooklyn1 wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:

I cannot say what it is but why is it so objectionable? Why must
lawn be one species?

They needn't be, except depending on the area involved... smaller
lawns are not very esthetically appealing when filled with patches of
different types of plants.... with larger areas one cannot see the
imperfections over great distances. My lawn is compased of probably a
hundred different plants but unless one walks about and looks up close
and personal they'd never know that not too long ago it was a hay
field, there's very little real lawn grass... if not for my regular
mowing it would be a wildflower meadow:

http://i49.tinypic.com/166evys.jpg

i don't see any broad leafs
(plantains, chicory or dandelions,
etc) in there at all, what are you
doing to keep them from winning
out?

here, if i didn't hand weed them
they would take over in a few years.

songbird

Old 24-05-2011, 12:04 AM
Registered User

Crab grass about indicates a backyard that is accepting too abundant baptize too often. If the summer rains are not sufficient, adulterate acutely and infrequently. Try irrigating alone already in 3 or 4 days. When you do irrigate, cut the time in bisected and again adulterate alert with an hour between; added baptize will absorb into the clay instead of active off.
__________________
Hydroponics Fans
Old 27-05-2011, 04:45 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hr(bob) [email
my lawn. The spots of weeds pop up with no apparent source. They do
no respond to weed killer, and they crowd out regular lawn grass. I
am in the Chicago suburbs. Can anyone tell me what the grayish green
grass/weed is and how to get rid of it?

DSC00350 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Thanks,

Bob Hofmann
Hey everybody, I'm new in this forum, hopefully I'll learn a lot from your experiences!

byyye