Old 26-08-2010, 05:43 AM
Registered User

Default tree branch identification?

I know this is an odd question, and I am not sure if it belongs in this section. But can anyone identify what tree this branch came from. I have a stack of it in my yard that a friend gave me but have no clue what it is. My guess would be cherry wood? It has redish-like bark, and under the bark is a layer of brownish, under that layer is a yellowish color and under that is a whiter color of wood. Anybody have an idea of what it is? I basically need to know if it is toxic or not. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
tree branch identification?-dscn0588.jpg   tree branch identification?-dscn0587.jpg
Old 26-08-2010, 11:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

illius said:

I know this is an odd question, and I am not sure if it belongs in this
section. But can anyone identify what tree this branch came from. I have
a stack of it in my yard that a friend gave me but have no clue what it
is. My guess would be cherry wood? It has redish-like bark, and under
the bark is a layer of brownish, under that layer is a yellowish color
and under that is a whiter color of wood. Anybody have an idea of what
it is? I basically need to know if it is toxic or not. Thanks.

http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=13376|

http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=13377|

If those were cut in my neighborhood, It wouldn't be uneasonable to
identify those as mulberry branches. At least, tha's what immediately
came to mind when I looked at them. (Mulberry chips are pretty good
for smoking or grilling.)

Cherry would have shinier bark and more distinct lenticles.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

nutrients..." --Largo Potter, Valkyria Chronicles

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 26-08-2010, 04:14 PM
Registered User

Thanks for the reply, Just to narrow it down sum I live in colorado in the US. So it is near the mountains not quite at them, but close to them. I ask this question because I widdled a pipe out of one of these branches, But if it is toxic in anyway then it is a dud.
Old 26-08-2010, 07:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

illius wrote:
I know this is an odd question, and I am not sure if it belongs in this
section. But can anyone identify what tree this branch came from. I have
a stack of it in my yard that a friend gave me but have no clue what it
is. My guess would be cherry wood? It has redish-like bark, and under
the bark is a layer of brownish, under that layer is a yellowish color
and under that is a whiter color of wood. Anybody have an idea of what
it is? I basically need to know if it is toxic or not. Thanks.

This is too difficult to identify with any certainty from a photo.
I wouldn't use it for smoking unless you know for certain what it is.
Ask your friend what kind of wood he gave you.

gloria p
Old 10-09-2010, 04:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

Perhaps of the Salix (willow) family

I live in colorado in
the US.
if it is toxic in anyway then it is a dud.

if so its not toxic and the bark is good for headaches and plant
propagation