Old 25-01-2011, 04:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Wild Hogs Becoming A Big Problem To Farmers And Gardeners..........

I saw a show on tv several nights ago about the destruction wild pigs
are causing in the southern states of the US. It's amazing the amount
of destruction they can do in a single night. It seems they are also
expanding their territory and heading further north every passing year.
In Florida they are getting so bold that they are coming right into town
in heavily populated residential areas. Besides the destruction they
cause to vegetation, they are very mean and dangerous animals as well.
Does anyone in this group have a problem with these nasty critters or a
story you would like to relate about them? Not so sure I would like to
tangle with one from what I saw on the tv show. They were hunting the
hogs with dogs and some of the dogs got tore up pretty good. Although
it did look very exciting to hunt them this way. I was also wondering
if the meat tastes like domestic pork. When they harvested the hogs on
this show, they had the meat processed and donated it to a homeless
shelter as not to waste it.

Lets hear your wild hog experiences!

Rich from PA

Old 25-01-2011, 04:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

"EVP MAN" wrote in message

[...]

shouldn't this be cross posted to alt.food.barbecue?

Old 25-01-2011, 08:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

When they harvested the hogs on
this show, *they had the meat processed and donated it to a homeless
shelter as not to waste it.

Lets hear your wild hog experiences!

Rich from PA

To me it does taste different. but it has to be a variable...diet &
mast, harvest size, harvesting methods/butchering.... a very different
lean but most supermarket cuts these days are way too lean for my
tastes. Chops and loin cuts are almost devoid of taste. Reason most
are brined and undercooked from old day recommendations. Only one
place in town where I can get a slab of belly these days, all the
rest is salt pork or similar size at the Asian markets, hocks up here
are all smoked, even ground pork is 3$ or more a lb . So shoulders are
meat of choice for me, esp. for making sausage and most all my Mexican
dishes. Chefs are buying up the piglets of more exotic breeds and
sending to finishers. some of this is is similar taste if finished on
acorn or other nut mast. But wild boar is also on their menu these
days. Wild boar tastes pretty good but should be w/o saying... if
properly prepared, don't know about pork belly/loin meat from them.
Had a shoulder up here that was as good as any Boston Butt, was a bit
leaner, yet slow cooked in a Ragu it was very enjoyable. Conversely
had a chop in GA. grilled that was as tough as leather, (drunken
soldier BBQ from hitting one w/ a car). Wild boar is a delicacy in
EU,had it in FRG and Italy, excellent dishes. Catching on in the US
and certainly the taste is not like the commercial ultra lean bred
pig common today. Chef Eric Rupert recently had a PBS show on Tuscan
Boar hunting. Similar to US. Drive hunting w/ dogs and shotguns.

Feral hogs are an invasive alien of no use in American eco system.
Herd animals, mostly. They cause wide spread destruction of
agriculture every where it lives. Introduced thru the South and later
thru SW by the Spanish in the 1500s, English in the 1600s colonies,
followed Settlers west, wide spread problem in US now days. Hogs eat
just about anything and all night long ( as that Canadian Murderer
Pickton knows all too well) . Russian Boar was also introduced for
sport, not as big as feral ( ~400ish lbs) but huge examples of x
breeding are showing up. Google image for Hogzillia. As hogs
generations go more feral and X, they get the tusks and hair and
mean... really, really mean. Javelina are in the SW are actually
peccary( related) but can cause similar results if near aggie fileds,
yet these are native and deserve a different approach. especially to
keep them from disease introduction. don't know if Javelina able to
x-breed with pig. These are edible but do not taste so good, esp. if
butchered poorly or if you get musk on the meat. Back to hogs,
potential source of many diseases, accounts for just about all (very
few) trichinosis incidents in the US every year. Believe one was
sourced as a bear. Recently feral hogs were suspected as the source
of spinach contamination in CA. Big worry there may be more of this
to come.

Less hunting pressures and hunting bans have increased the size of the
herds, thus territory expansion and crop destruction and as you said
even moving into towns to feed (same problem up here with Turkey,
Cougar and Bear, Coyote in LA) . Prolific breeders. Tough to hunt
because they can get under and through the thick underbrush quickly,
fences don't usually stop em. As you said really need dogs or a
chance encounter. Bad eyesight, excellent hearing and like turkey,
rarely r u you are going to walk em up. Blinds or dogs. Small
problem in WA State: http://tribune-democrat.com/outdoors...pig-population
but understand they are a problem in PA also
http://tribune-democrat.com/outdoors...pig-population

Yea, this is really a gray area for a gardening unless they are in
yours.
Old 25-01-2011, 09:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Wild Hogs Becoming A Big Problem To Farmers And Gardeners.(Gunner)

Hi Gunner Thank you for the very informative post. I didn't even
realize that we had wild hogs in certain PA counties. I'm in central PA
and hunted all my life and never saw a hog in our area. We are getting
more and more coyotes around here and I feel it's only a matter of time
until the hog population will invade us also. Perhaps instead of
growing tomatoes in my garden, I should be breeding hog dogs I
would imagine a good dog brings a hefty price.

Rich

Old 26-01-2011, 07:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Pico Rico" wrote in message

"EVP MAN" wrote in message

[...]

Speakign from experience:
Wild pigs do significant damage to pasture and yes, they do rip dogs up
very, very badly. Pig hunters use collar chest protectors on their dogs
because of the damage that pigs can do. Human pig hunters are probalby
worse than the wild pigs. They will trespass at will, cut fences and are
generally a bunch of low lifes who farmers do not welcome in their area.

Old 26-01-2011, 02:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jan 25, 11:33*am, (EVP MAN) wrote:
[...]

I saw that show too, it was really scary. We had a domestic pig in our
yard
once, and it dug holes, rutted around, and made a mess generally. It
was about
5 or 6 feet long, a big porker. It left and went somewhere else. The
Animal Control
guy & I couldn't find it then. DH told me not to shoot it cuz he
couldn't get
it in the pickup to take to butcher!!! Lucky piggie, I was seeing
bacon forever!!
There was going to be a big BBQ!! Never did find out what happened to
that pig.
Nanzi
Old 26-01-2011, 09:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jan 25, 11:52*pm, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
"Pico Rico" wrote in message

"EVP MAN" wrote in message

[...]

generally a *bunch of low lifes who farmers do not welcome in their area.- Hide quoted text -

Old 01-02-2011, 03:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

shouldn't this be cross posted to alt.food.barbecue?

Speakign from experience:
Wild pigs do significant damage to pasture and yes, they do rip dogs up
very, very badly. Pig hunters use collar chest protectors on their dogs
because of the damage that pigs can do. Human pig hunters are probalby
worse than the wild pigs. They will trespass at will, cut fences and are
generally a bunch of low lifes who farmers do not welcome in their area.

How perceptive of you, through a glass darkly I might add. You have not a
clue.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article pplyinc,
"Don Staples" wrote:

shouldn't this be cross posted to alt.food.barbecue?

Speakign from experience:
Wild pigs do significant damage to pasture and yes, they do rip dogs up
very, very badly. Pig hunters use collar chest protectors on their dogs
because of the damage that pigs can do. Human pig hunters are probalby
worse than the wild pigs. They will trespass at will, cut fences and are
generally a bunch of low lifes who farmers do not welcome in their area.

How perceptive of you, through a glass darkly I might add. You have not a
clue.

Said the forester who wants to clear-cut everything and replant a
monoculture.

Trying to pass for bright, Don?
--
- Billy
"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist."

Old 01-02-2011, 07:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

, through a glass darkly I might add. *You have not a
clue.

Said the forester who wants to clear-cut everything and replant a
monoculture.

Trying to pass for bright, Don?
--

Always with the ad hominems huh billy?

There is no need for your divisiveness, nor do you have a dog in this
hunt.

As for farml comments, I think he knows his "opinion" of hunters is
not shared by many farmers as many State Wildlife organizations are
working w/ farmers to find hunters to address the growing problem but
he must feel it was important to say what and how he did ...or not.
I am curious as to how he" knows" pig hunters will trespass at will,

Old 01-02-2011, 08:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

Gunner wrote:
, through a glass darkly I might add. You have not a
clue.

Said the forester who wants to clear-cut everything and replant a
monoculture.

Trying to pass for bright, Don?
--

Always with the ad hominems huh billy?

There is no need for your divisiveness, nor do you have a dog in this
hunt.

As for farml comments, I think he knows his "opinion" of hunters is
not shared by many farmers as many State Wildlife organizations are
working w/ farmers to find hunters to address the growing problem but
he must feel it was important to say what and how he did ...or not.
I am curious as to how he" knows" pig hunters will trespass at will,
cut fences and are generally a bunch of low lifes who farmers do not
welcome in their area?

Well no wild pigs yet. However the township every so often allows
volunteering hunters, groups of four, to find and track down coyotes. No
neighbor is against the coyote hunters here ( at least I know of ). The
hunters do trespass at will. The hunters come during the daytime summer on
a off hunting season. Many here know who the hunters are. Last year they
found two dens with about twenty coyotes each.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message
In article pplyinc,
"Don Staples" wrote:

shouldn't this be cross posted to alt.food.barbecue?

Speakign from experience:
Wild pigs do significant damage to pasture and yes, they do rip dogs up
very, very badly. Pig hunters use collar chest protectors on their
dogs
because of the damage that pigs can do. Human pig hunters are probalby
worse than the wild pigs. They will trespass at will, cut fences and
are
generally a bunch of low lifes who farmers do not welcome in their
area.

How perceptive of you, through a glass darkly I might add. You have not
clue.

Said the forester who wants to clear-cut everything and replant a
monoculture.

Trying to pass for bright, Don?
--

Oh, look, Billy's mommy left the computer on again. Every one has an ass
hole, you are it.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Excuse me, I ddin't realize you were an ignorant ass hole from down under.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article yinc,
"Don Staples" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article pplyinc,

[...]