Old 27-03-2011, 12:22 AM
Registered User

Question strange fungus in my indoor pots

Hi everybody,

Some strange fungus has invaded my indoor plants (see attached). A few hours of googling did not bring me to a conclusive answer of what it might. be. I'm not even sure it's necessay to try to get rid of it.

Any information of the type of fungus it could be ?
Attached Thumbnails
strange fungus in my indoor pots-pict0040.jpg
Old 27-03-2011, 09:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default strange fungus in my indoor pots

In article ,
"Nelly" wrote:

Never heard the term "cup killer" before. None are even poisonous that I
recall. Much less to cups.

Note the OP's handle

Old 27-03-2011, 11:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Amos Nomore" wrote in message

In article ,
"Nelly" wrote:

Never heard the term "cup killer" before. None are even poisonous that I
recall. Much less to cups.

Note the OP's handle

=============

Hmmm. Well, then! Glad to hear my favorite coffee mug's not in any danger.
My husband...sometimes he borrows it y'know,, then leaves it on the
headboard unemptied sometimes for days on end! I almost truly feared for its
life. You've no idea how many thrift stores I've traipsed through to get it.

Old 27-03-2011, 11:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Nelly" wrote:

Never heard the term "cup killer" before. None are even poisonous that I
recall. Much less to cups.

Note the OP's handle

=============

Hmmm. Well, then! Glad to hear my favorite coffee mug's not in any danger.
My husband...sometimes he borrows it y'know,, then leaves it on the
headboard unemptied sometimes for days on end! I almost truly feared for its
life. You've no idea how many thrift stores I've traipsed through to get it.

The only cup fungus that I can recall having significant human health
repercussions made the rounds in boy's PE in high school. It was a
killer of morale.
Old 28-03-2011, 07:18 PM
Registered User

meh, that's not very helpful...

Old 29-03-2011, 01:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
cupkiller wrote:

meh, that's not very helpful...

Neither is your failure to quote the response you are referring to.

OTOH, kudos to you for responding at all. Dozens of inquiries from
gardenbanterers have been answered quickly and accurately by rec.gardens
patrons who are routinely snubbed for their trouble. Bunch of ingrates.
Old 29-03-2011, 02:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

cupkiller wrote:

meh, that's not very helpful...

Neither is your failure to quote the response you are referring to.

OTOH, kudos to you for responding at all. Dozens of inquiries from
gardenbanterers have been answered quickly and accurately by rec.gardens
patrons who are routinely snubbed for their trouble. Bunch of ingrates.
======================

Such a likely response as this (if ever any) from what are primarily
"drive-through" posters from that site, is what got many in rec.gardens to
just block everything posted from there. If "cupkiller" had known that, she
might've at least been grateful anyone responded at all...even if she
doesn't have enough sense not to nitpick an innocent sideways post or two.
(Talk about unhelpful responses.)
Especially after having gotten a couple of perfectly valid replies. Comes
across as a bit snotty.

Old 29-03-2011, 11:39 AM
Registered User

eer, I guess just don't understand what being said (OTOH, OP handle, etc..) eh well, thanks anyway.
Old 29-03-2011, 08:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

cupkiller wrote:

I guess just don't understand what being said (OTOH, OP handle,
etc..) eh well, thanks anyway.

C'mon, you understand darn well what "killer cups" mean... and I'm not
tawkin' Reese's. hehe
Old 29-03-2011, 11:13 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn1 View Post
cupkiller wrote:

I guess just don't understand what being said (OTOH, OP handle,
etc..) eh well, thanks anyway.

C'mon, you understand darn well what "killer cups" mean... and I'm not
tawkin' Reese's. hehe
sorry, I'm not a native english speaker, and am not really familiar with the slang of the web I guess.

Old 30-03-2011, 10:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

cupkiller wrote:
Brooklyn1;916384 Wrote:
cupkiller wrote:-

I guess just don't understand what being said (OTOH, OP handle,
etc..) eh well, thanks anyway.-

C'mon, you understand darn well what "killer cups" mean... and I'm not
tawkin' Reese's. hehe

sorry, I'm not a native english speaker, and am not really familiar with
the slang of the web I guess.

OTOH - On The Other Hand. OP - Original Poster. killer cups - killer
breast.

If you come across future slangs, Google - "usenet" with the acronym and
you should find the answer.

Old 31-03-2011, 03:25 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupkiller View Post
Hi everybody,

Some strange fungus has invaded my indoor plants (see attached). A few hours of googling did not bring me to a conclusive answer of what it might. be. I'm not even sure it's necessay to try to get rid of it.

Any information of the type of fungus it could be ?
It isn't any of the ones quoted on Tom Volk's page of fungi commonly occurring on potted plants he Tom Volk's Fungi (to find it, click Fungus of the Month, then near the top click the "Fungi growing on your mulch"). Leucocoprinus birnbaumii is the most common culprit, but not in your case.

It does rather remind me of a Peziza (Cup fungus), and indeed Peziza cerea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia or Cellar Cup seems faintly possible, tends to grow on man-made piles of rubbish. (There are other kinds of cup fungi in the Pezizales group.)

But I have half a memory of there being something else that looks rather like that, but I'd have to hunt through my fungus books for it some other time.

fwiw, it is unlikely to be something you'd want to eat. It is probably contributing to the breakdown of the constituents of the compost, thus releasing the compounds that feed your plants.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:51 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
But I have half a memory of there being something else that looks rather like that, but I'd have to hunt through my fungus books for it some other time.
Had a hunt through my books, and didn't find any better ideas.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

"echinosum" wrote in message ...

echinosum;916554 Wrote:
But I have half a memory of there being something else that looks rather
like that, but I'd have to hunt through my fungus books for it some
other time.

Had a hunt through my books, and didn't find any better ideas.

==============

I never saw the post you're responding to (as so often happens to me,
probably because of a crappy excuse for a newsreader) - much less whatever
text you originally responded to.
I thought I saw some twiggy/woody debris in the photo, and color
reproduction being what is often is (not to mention having no scale), I just
guessed at Chlorosplenium. Its identity is mostly academic anyway...if the
soil's too wet it would need to be corrected foremost. Removing the woody
stuff from a soil would only ensure any "dead-wood-eaters" won't return.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:40 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly View Post
"I never saw the post you're responding to (as so often happens to me,
probably because of a crappy excuse for a newsreader) - much less whatever
text you originally responded to.
I thought I saw some twiggy/woody debris in the photo, and color
reproduction being what is often is (not to mention having no scale), I just
guessed at Chlorosplenium. Its identity is mostly academic anyway...if the
soil's too wet it would need to be corrected foremost. Removing the woody
stuff from a soil would only ensure any "dead-wood-eaters" won't return.
I suggested Peziza cerea, though not with much certainty. Chlorospleniums seem to be green or greenish, and have a stem, so that didn't come to mind.

[IMG] code is On

Strange plant/weed/fungus in garden HytestA Lawns 3 23-04-2010 05:07 AM
Strange looking fungus Tom or Mary Gardening 1 27-06-2006 04:57 PM
Last year, fungus fungus everywhere Natalka Rosalia Maria Roshak Edible Gardening 5 26-01-2005 06:26 PM
strange fungus and bugs Joe Gardening 3 17-06-2004 01:03 AM
Help with strange tree tumors/fungus? Links to pictures Michael Elliott Ponds (alternative) 0 25-04-2004 06:04 AM