Old 01-06-2011, 08:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Will you be gardening 10 years from now?

"Brooklyn1" Gravesend1 wrote in message
"FarmI" wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Because you cannot get people to do something they believe is
impossible and you cannot get them to work their hardest if they don't
see a positive outcome at some time now or in the future.

That sort of 'leadership' approach has always given me a case of the
squits.

Is "squits" some down-under sexually transmitted disease... just
askin'.

No it's not. It means very loose bowels.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

Because you cannot get people to do something they believe is
impossible and you cannot get them to work their hardest if they don't
see a positive outcome at some time now or in the future.

Positive feelings don't allow you to do things that are physically
impossible but they a degree of faith allows you to get towards doing
your best. This is the basis of sport psychology, any kind of
leadership and one of the better aspects of religion. It is a
question of motivating people, you cannot motivate people well if they
feel hopeless.

That sort of 'leadership' approach has always given me a case of the
squits.
I never watch team sports because of all that jolly hockey sticks
coaching
stuff which makes me want to gag. Such an approach doesn't allow for
more
than one mode of motivation and I believe that individuals can be
motivated
by many and varied techniques/approaches. Give me a rationale rather
than
that warm and fuzzy fluff stuff.

I agree with that FarmI. I hate team sports and never watch them. I prefer
to watch individuals sports, if i actually ever watch sport of any kind,
like running or biking.

I was going to comment on that also. The key word here is "Religion".
People who believe are those of a "team" like mind. Very difficult to
change those mind sets.

Opiate of the masses and all that jazz. There never was a more apt
description of religious zeal IMHO.

Funny, how foxholes can change that perspective ;O)
--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True conservatives, and liberals not to be found anywhere in the phantasmagoria
of the American political landscape.

America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.
It's just that it's not in your hands. It has been transferred, in the
greatest heist in history, from the workers and consumers to the banks
and the portfolios of the uber-rich.
http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/.../michael-moore
/michael-moore-says-400-americans-have-more-wealth-/