Old 30-05-2011, 04:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Will you be gardening 10 years from now?

OK, global climate change is a fact. I don't want to get into whether
it is caused by humans or not, so I will ignore any replies that argue
that.

My gardening question is this: all the best scenarios say weather will
become more extreme and more variable. Variable extreme weather is
death to the home gardener. Any suggestions on this?

Chris
Old 30-05-2011, 06:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Chris wrote:

OK, global climate change is a fact. I don't want to get into whether
it is caused by humans or not, so I will ignore any replies that argue
that.

My gardening question is this: all the best scenarios say weather will
become more extreme and more variable. Variable extreme weather is
death to the home gardener. Any suggestions on this?

Chris

For the last 4 decades, as I read it, there have been no global cold
records, however there are a number of global record highs. The rain is
going to move North, and the greatest temperature change will be at the
higher latitudes. Water shortages may begin in 9 years. I don't mean to
alarm anyone, but exponential growth is impressive. One becomes 2,
becomes 4, which becomes 8, to 16, and so on and so forth, usw. Now, if
you had a pond that filled exponentially in 13 days, at how many days
would half a pond be?

For example, if just the ice around Greenland melted, it would raise the
sea level 6'. Out of 150 original glaciers in Glacier National Park, 29
remain.

Do you know who your Congressional representatives are? What are they
doing about Global Warming, over population, and the disappearing water,
which without "modern crops" can't be grown. A whole lot of countries
including China, India, and the U.S.A. are running out of water quickly,
like in California where farmers can make more money selling water than
they can farming.

Contact your Congresspersons, and maybe stake your claim to the first
Arctic Ocean resort.
--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True conservatives, and liberals not to be found anywhere in the phantasmagoria
of the American political landscape.

America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.
It's just that it's not in your hands. It has been transferred, in the
greatest heist in history, from the workers and consumers to the banks
and the portfolios of the uber-rich.
http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/.../michael-moore
/michael-moore-says-400-americans-have-more-wealth-/
Old 30-05-2011, 06:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/29/11 8:44 PM, Chris wrote:
OK, global climate change is a fact. I don't want to get into whether
it is caused by humans or not, so I will ignore any replies that argue
that.

My gardening question is this: all the best scenarios say weather will
become more extreme and more variable. Variable extreme weather is
death to the home gardener. Any suggestions on this?

Chris

In 10 years, I will be 80. I hope to putter, but I strongly doubt
whether I will climb my hill to tend my grape vines. Even today, when I
reach the top of the hill, I have to take a few minutes to catch my
breath. The hill is more steep than the county's current grading codes
allow; I can stand on the top and inspect the roof of my two-story house.

In 10 years, I am unlikely to still be pruning my peach tree or mock
orange (Pittosporum tobira) bushes. I don't know if I will be able to
drag my 75-foot hose around the yard.

That does NOT mean I am unconcerned about climate change. I am very
concerned because I have grandchildren, and I want them to have
grandchildren.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 30-05-2011, 06:39 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Chris" wrote in message
OK, global climate change is a fact. I don't want to get into whether
it is caused by humans or not, so I will ignore any replies that argue
that.

My gardening question is this: all the best scenarios say weather will
become more extreme and more variable. Variable extreme weather is
death to the home gardener. Any suggestions on this?

????? Garden as one would do in an area of extremes of course.

Old 30-05-2011, 10:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

Chris wrote:
OK, global climate change is a fact. I don't want to get into whether
it is caused by humans or not, so I will ignore any replies that argue
that.

My gardening question is this: all the best scenarios say weather will
become more extreme and more variable. Variable extreme weather is
death to the home gardener. Any suggestions on this?

Chris

More and more companies are growing produce inside green houses where the
environment is controlled. Here in Michigan, many stores get their produce
from Canada where tomatoes and lettuces are grown year round indoors.

If the Earths environment gets real bad due to global warming, it will not
be the end of human life. Nature itself will be destroyed, but humans and
selected animals may continue in a controlled indoor environment. Like
living on another planet like Mars or Eaarth.

Growing foods indoors on a personal scale is also a growing industry. Since
Michigan passed the Medical Weed law, there are now many many hydroponic
and gardening stores on every street corner. In those stores are all kinds
of grow lights, large pots and fertilizers for growing just about
everything. For others not so fortunate to have the money or land, the
average person can consume a product called "Soylent Green".

Old 30-05-2011, 03:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

Chris writes:

OK, global climate change is a fact. I don't want to get into whether
it is caused by humans or not, so I will ignore any replies that argue
that.

My gardening question is this: all the best scenarios say weather will
become more extreme and more variable. Variable extreme weather is
death to the home gardener. Any suggestions on this?

Seems to me, they garden in Alaska and at the Equator.
Aren't those both examples of extreme weather?

Maybe you have some other kind of extreme in mind?

The tornados ripping through the middle of the US affect a very small
percentage of the total land surface.

Anyway, what's with the doom and gloom. Here in the northern hemisphere
it's spring and phrases like "death to the home gardener" seem
so inappropriate.

A robin has built it's nest on top of the box that was installed for
FIOS on my house. I'm enjoying peeking out the door watching the
robin sit patiently on it's eggs. It's nest is on the FIOS box and
right under the electric meter. 2 days ago we had about 15 minutes of
the heaviest rain I've seen in a while. The winds must have hit about
45MPH. I was a bit concerned about the robin so I peeked out the door
and saw that the house and the electric meter protected the bird nicely.
It looked like it was enjoying the weather.

Points a

1. Adopt a positive attitude.
2. Life (and gardens) will find a way.

--
Dan Espen
Old 30-05-2011, 07:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

On May 30, 1:05*am, Billy wrote:
In article
,

*Chris wrote:
[...]

Not to mention the impending disaster when the aquifers in western
North America are pumped dry. They're taking about 6 more inches out
than are replenished, annually. If you think the price of bread or
flour is high now, wait until that water crunch hits.

Chris

http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/statements/2011/mar/10/michael-mo...

Old 30-05-2011, 07:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

On May 30, 1:39*am, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
"Chris" wrote in message

OK, global climate change is a fact. I don't want to get into whether
it is caused by humans or not, so I will ignore any replies that argue
that.

My gardening question is this: all the best scenarios say weather will
become more extreme and more variable. Variable extreme weather is
death to the home gardener. Any suggestions on this?

????? *Garden as one would do in an area of extremes of course.

Extreme is one thing. When you toss in "variable" it becomes another
whole problem.

Chris
Old 30-05-2011, 07:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

On May 30, 10:08*am, wrote:
Chris writes:
OK, global climate change is a fact. I don't want to get into whether
it is caused by humans or not, so I will ignore any replies that argue
that.

My gardening question is this: all the best scenarios say weather will
become more extreme and more variable. Variable extreme weather is
death to the home gardener. Any suggestions on this?

Seems to me, they garden in Alaska and at the Equator.
Aren't those both examples of extreme weather?

Of course they are. Extreme weather by itself is not a problem.

Extreme weather that has become variable IS a problem.

Maybe you have some other kind of extreme in mind?

Nope. Extremes of temperature and rainfall are exactly what I had in
mind.

The tornados ripping through the middle of the US affect a very small
percentage of the total land surface.

Yup. I didn't mention those.

Anyway, what's with the doom and gloom. *Here in the northern hemisphere
it's spring and phrases like "death to the home gardener" seem
so inappropriate.

A robin has built it's nest on top of the box that was installed for
FIOS on my house. *I'm enjoying peeking out the door watching the
robin sit patiently on it's eggs. *It's nest is on the FIOS box and
right under the electric meter. *2 days ago we had about 15 minutes of
the heaviest rain I've seen in a while. *The winds must have hit about
45MPH. *I was a bit concerned about the robin so I peeked out the door
and saw that the house and the electric meter protected the bird nicely.
It looked like it was enjoying the weather.

The only reason you HAVE a robin near your house is because Rachel
Carson rang the doom and gloom bell and showed that pesticide use
would be, say, "death to the Spring birdwatcher". (My words, not
hers.)

Now, I am no Rachel Carson. But people like James Hansen and Carl
Safina walk in her shoes (read "Song for a Blue Ocean").

Points a

1. Adopt a positive attitude.

I HAVE a positive attitude. That's why I am trying to do a little part
to save the planet for my kid.

2. Life (and gardens) will find a way.

Sure they will. My question was, what way?

But if we can at least ameliorate an impending disaster, isn't that
better?

Chris

--
Dan Espen

Old 30-05-2011, 07:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

Ten years? In ten years several posters here will be dead, you
imbecile!

Old 30-05-2011, 08:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

On May 30, 2:50*pm, Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:
Ten years? *In ten years several posters here will be dead, you
imbecile!

Thank you for that cogent, reasoned, detailed, and appropriate
response.

Chris
Old 30-05-2011, 08:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

Chris wrote:
OK, global climate change is a fact. I don't want to get into whether
it is caused by humans or not, so I will ignore any replies that argue
that.

My gardening question is this: all the best scenarios say weather will
become more extreme and more variable. Variable extreme weather is
death to the home gardener. Any suggestions on this?

always have plan B, C and D through Z.

is there some specific variance you
are worried about?

songbird
Old 30-05-2011, 09:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

Nad R wrote:
If the Earths environment gets real bad due to global warming, it will not
be the end of human life. Nature itself will be destroyed, but humans and
selected animals may continue in a controlled indoor environment. Like
living on another planet like Mars or Eaarth.

nature itself will be fine. individual
species might go extinct, but it is likely
that many others will continue along just
unperturbed. others will thrive in the
new ecological niches created.

i would have enjoyed living on the moon
and having to learn how to grow things in
a closed system smaller than the earth.
with the system i've got going for worms
it would be fun to take it up a notch.

so far efforts at large scale closed
systems have not been very successful so
i think it wise to keep the research
going.

are you aware of any other long term
closed systems like the biospheres? i'm
not. last i looked all similar systems
still need a large source of raw materials
and have to have a large space to disperse
waste products. that alone warns us of
the perils of overpopulation and we are
bound and determined to ignore it...

songbird
Old 30-05-2011, 09:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

ImbecileChris wrote:
Brooklyn1 wrote:
Ten years? *In ten years several posters here will be dead, you
imbecile!

Thank you for that cogent, reasoned, detailed, and appropriate
response.

You forgot 'accurate', IMBECILE! LOL-LOL
Old 30-05-2011, 09:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

1. Adopt a positive attitude.
2. Life (and gardens) will find a way.

I disagree with your two points on life.

#1 Adopting a positive attitude is a risky game in my book.

Those that think with a positive attitude tend to cut corners where they
should not. "Just get it done... And hope for the best". A person with a
negative attitude knows things can fail and will try and foresee all
negative outcomes and makes the best of it for the money and outcome. Spend
some extra time and get it right.

#2 Life does not always find away.

The earth is in sad shape because of reckless human behaviors. People are
always putting profit over health and environment.