Old 08-07-2011, 01:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Emerald Ash Borer ? ? ?

I live in Baltimore, and we're told that the emerald ash borer is now within
20 miles of the city.

The city has 300,000 ash trees -- and we have two of them -- both fully
grown and in excellent health at the moment.

We're told there is no pesticide to kill these parasites, and infestation is
always fatal.

I guess my question is, can we expect ALL ash trees in the city to be
destroyed? Or what are the odds of death vs. survival of our two tree?

Old 08-07-2011, 01:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Ray" wrote:
I live in Baltimore, and we're told that the emerald ash borer is now
within 20 miles of the city.

The city has 300,000 ash trees -- and we have two of them -- both fully
grown and in excellent health at the moment.

We're told there is no pesticide to kill these parasites, and infestation is always fatal.

I guess my question is, can we expect ALL ash trees in the city to be
destroyed? Or what are the odds of death vs. survival of our two tree?

The negatives: they have devastated Michigan ash trees and more.
The positives: Ash wood is great for the fireplace and was free for the
asking a few years ago. But the problem is once you notice your trees have
it, it is too late and nothing can be done about it... That I know of.

However, their may be a preventative solution. I have wondered about trying
some systemic tree treatments. Use of this product will cause many here to
scream and I am not sure about just letting nature take it's course.

http://www.bayeradvanced.com/tree-sh...dscape-formula

Claims to protect trees from the ash bore insects. But this product takes
time to work it's evil ways... I think, I could be wrong.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Nad R" wrote in message ...

"Ray" wrote:
[...]

Thanks so much. Your suggestion seems promising. I think we'll wait to see
if the pest is certain to reach the city, then decide whether to treat our
two trees.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

Ray said:

I live in Baltimore, and we're told that the emerald ash borer is now within
20 miles of the city.

The city has 300,000 ash trees -- and we have two of them -- both fully
grown and in excellent health at the moment.

We're told there is no pesticide to kill these parasites, and infestation is
always fatal.

Not exactly true, there are treatments, but they involve insecticides and
will have to be done every year without fail and are not practical for
woodlots. One or two trees, you could probably manage.

Trunk injections are the 'safest' method, as opposed to soil drenches,
which will also work but do so at the risk of ground and surface water
contamination. (And soil drenches should NOT be used on sandy
soils, as the insecticide is likely to leach away and not be taken up by
in sufficient quantities by the tree.)

http://www.emeraldashborer.info/treatment.cfm

I guess my question is, can we expect ALL ash trees in the city to be
destroyed? Or what are the odds of death vs. survival of our two tree?

Untreated, they are going to die. I'm close to the epicenter of the
emerald ash borer invasion. It hasn't been pretty.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored