Old 26-02-2003, 05:15 AM
Bob Provencher

Default GARDENING NEWSGROUP!!!!!!!!

"paghat" wrote in message
news
In article , Elizabeth Brown
wrote:

This newsgroup is being ruined by all of the off topic threads. Go
somewhere else with you politics, race, war, and etc. Let us just

garden.

Your new thread is off topic & you are ruining this newsgroup!

But seriously, any group that has 200+ on-topic threads for every one
off-topic thread is at the high end of nowhere near ruined.

Yeah I agree with that, the ratio here ain't bad. That doesn't mean you
ought to promote it.

--
Bob Provencher
ICQ 881862

Old 26-02-2003, 11:39 AM
Ann

"Bob Provencher" expounded:

Then, there is the "the regulars have decided this is what they want this
group to be so tough shit" argument. I love that one. I can guarantee you
that I have been a USENET regular for much longer than anyone in this group,
and I have seen this stuff destroy groups time and again. But what the
hell, everyone has to learn for themselves.

I've been reading this group since December 1994, with all of it's on
topic and off topic posts, and it hasn't been destroyed yet. It also
handles trolls well. I think we've all figured out how to maintain
pretty good equilibrium. The bottom line is, if you don't want to
read a thread, then _don't_.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 26-02-2003, 02:39 PM
Julie and Bob

I have to agree that the personal attacks do make group usage a less than
pleasant experience. it can also make people less likely to ask fo, as well
as offer help in areas that we all may need for fear of ridicule.

while newsgroups are set up for a healthy exchange of ideas on the topic,
there will be times when someone in the group has other things on their
minds which, feeling a part of the group community, they may want to share.

While I have no use for malicious writing toward race, sex, etc. it is the
right of users to post as they wish . As it is our right to ignore it. So
Elizabeth, you should just ignore it. But people remember this is a
community, and we also need to respect the feelings of others.

Thank you.

Old 26-02-2003, 03:51 PM
Bob Provencher

"Ann" wrote in message
"Bob Provencher" expounded:
I've been reading this group since December 1994, with all of it's on
topic and off topic posts, and it hasn't been destroyed yet. It also
handles trolls well. I think we've all figured out how to maintain
pretty good equilibrium. The bottom line is, if you don't want to
read a thread, then _don't_.

Believe it or not I agree with that. I have the bandwidth to download and
ignore at will.

But as I said, not everyone does.

I'm glad to hear it hasn't been destroyed yet. That's a pretty good track
record. But the problem isn't so much with the regulars but with newbies
who may come in and abuse a more liberal interpretation of what's allowed.
In groups where all the regulars band together and enforce the rules,
newbies fall into line quickly -- on groups with a more liberal
interpretation they'll use that to post all sort of nonsense on anything and
everything. It can get out of hand.

Don't get me wrong, I don't feel THAT strongly about it. I am generally
_against_ censorship but _for_ following the established guidelines whatever
they may be or at least trying to understand why they were established that
way.

Anyway as you can probably tell I'm pretty ambiguous about the whole
thing -- and we're all beating a dead horse.

--
Bob Provencher
ICQ 881862

Old 26-02-2003, 08:16 PM
animaux

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 22:01:35 GMT, it's me wrote:

Ms. Brown is right this is a NG about gardening and posts should be limited to gardening.

No she isn't right at all. This is a public newsgroup and as such will not be
moderated. Next.

As long as groups are not moderated you will continue to get OT Post,
people who don't use Spell Check, Top Post, Use poor Grammer, Etc...
Deal with it.

But it's A$$holes like you that make personal attacks on people for no
good reason is far worst than any OT Post and does more to break up NGs
then anything else.

Is calling someone an A$$hole, different than calling them an asshole? Isn't
that a personal attack? Cereoid has never wanted to or intended to break this
newsgroup up. Stick around. You may laugh at his over the top ranting.
Personally, though people don't understand why, I find him funny and fun.

So, I hope you have a cold wet spring and all your seeds ROT! Followed
by NO rain this summer, And you are hit with a early Killing FROST!

Brother.

Old 27-02-2003, 03:51 AM
Natty_Dread

"Cereoid+10+" wrote in message
.. .
What really bothers little Lizzy is that all of the recent topics have

been
over her head and she is overwhelmed by it all!!!

You should all take pity on baby girl. She still needs someone to hold her
hand just to cross the street!!! She'd much rather be making mud pies in

her
secret little garden hidden from the big bad world!!!!!!

Cereoid, is it really necessary to attack her innate intelligence just
because she holds an opinion you (obviously) don't share? I've been reading
this group for less than a year, but I've been dismayed more than once at
what appear to be nasty responses from you to seemingly well-intended posts
from others. What's the point of that? Personal attacks don't improve the
social environment of the group, and personally just make me want to
killfile your posts, which means I might miss out on something good you have
to say. Can't we all just play nice in the sandbox?

Bill Litchfield wrote in message

"Elizabeth Brown" wrote in message
This newsgroup is being ruined by all of the off topic threads. Go
somewhere else with you politics, race, war, and etc. Let us just

garden.

Your opinion is duly noted. However, my opinion is that the O.T's aren't
ruining this group at all. In fact, I rather welcome the humorous O.T's

of
Tom Kan Pa and others during these dark, long winter days.

regards,
Bill

Old 27-02-2003, 03:51 AM
Ann

animaux expounded:

Personally, though people don't understand why, I find him funny and fun.

Mean is never fun.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 27-02-2003, 03:51 AM
DGiunti

Natty_Dread writes:

What's the point of that?

Ever wonder why they invented fences?

David Giunti email: unity
What is the question? Gertrude Stein's last words
No one mouth is big enough to utter the whole thing. Alan Watts

On Display in the UK
http://www.web-gallery.co.uk
Old 27-02-2003, 04:15 AM
NAearthMOM

ant to
read a thread, then _don't_.

amen!
Ann ,I have had enough of the garden in winter this year, have you??? lol

Love caryn
"Come into my garden, my flowers want to meet you!"
Old 27-02-2003, 04:03 PM
animaux

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003 19:21:53 -0500, Ann wrote:

animaux expounded:

Personally, though people don't understand why, I find him funny and fun.

Mean is never fun.

I guess you've never laughed as hard as I do at Yucko the Clown! Stephen, you
do know who that is, don't you?

Old 28-02-2003, 02:39 PM
Erin & Steve

I sowed petunia, pansy, rosemary, mint and lavender last Sunday and the
petunias have sprouted My husband thinks I'm crazy since we probably
won't see the ground until May at this point!

Old 28-02-2003, 04:15 PM
NAearthMOM

my sweet peas are doing well (indoorsthat is!)

Old 01-03-2003, 05:39 AM
jammer

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003 14:38:53 GMT, Erin & Steve
wrote:

I sowed petunia, pansy, rosemary, mint and lavender last Sunday and the
petunias have sprouted My husband thinks I'm crazy since we probably
won't see the ground until May at this point!

Yes, well, i just MAY BE crazy. I planted seeds about 9 days ago and
the sun hasn't been out since. I have 3 long skinny seedlings that i
don't expect to make it. I wonder if i could bury some of the
seedling.....? Instead of the 63F we are supposed to have this time
of year, 36 has been more like it. I am looking at May myself, i do
beleive.

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 03-03-2003, 02:03 PM
harrison

Yesterday I potted up fifteen of the geraniums I started from seed. They are
growing well and the cuttings I rooted in January are definitely going to
be ready for the earliets I can plant them (June, maybe) outdoors. Now if I
don' run out of windowsills, I'll be all set. Jammer, if you're using window
sills, remember to rotate the seedlings. I think you can bury the mint, but
not the others. I've found that the best way for me to keep seedlings stocky
is to lower my light units. Right now they're about four inches over the
pots and that's probably a little too high. This certainly has been some
winter, hasn't it? Eugenia, zone 6, two towns west of Boston