Old 13-01-2004, 02:04 PM
tony

Default Is this a political forum or a gardening newsgroup?

When are we going to get rid of the political cross-posting from this group
and get back to the topic of GARDENING?
Tony

Old 13-01-2004, 03:32 PM
Kay Easton

In article , tony
writes
When are we going to get rid of the political cross-posting from this group
and get back to the topic of GARDENING?

There is no way to stop people from other ngs from cross posting in
here. Kill the thread, and don't waste time grumbling about it.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 13-01-2004, 03:42 PM
Nick Wagg

tony wrote:

When are we going to get rid of the political cross-posting from this
group and get back to the topic of GARDENING?

The political cross-posts and various flames and trolls are not from
the regular contributors to u.r.g. but from a group of people who
delight in spoiling other people's fun.

Really, the only thing we can do is to ignore them and hope they will
go away. They thrive when old (and young) fogeys like us take umbrage
and shake our metaphorical sticks at them.

Of course, if you really know what you are doing you might be able to
track them down and report them for abuse to their ISPs but they
probably do all their dirty work from anonymous accounts and cyber
cafes, in which case there is nothing you can do because they aren't
breaking any laws.

It's a consequence of anonymity and power without responsibility or
answerability!
--
Nick Wagg
Old 13-01-2004, 04:07 PM
Thighbone Lee Jackson

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 15:32:42 +0000, Nick Wagg
wrote:

tony wrote:

[...]

If you want to live in a secluded world where only like minded idiots
frequent, why not start your own moderated group?

Only do it in secret please, most of us really don't care.

'You can't win 'em all.'
Lord Haw Haw.

Since I stopped donating money to CONservation hooligan charities
Like the RSPB, Woodland Trust and all the other fat cat charities
I am in the top 0.801% richest people in the world.
There are 5,951,930,035 people poorer than me

If you're really interested I am the 48,069,965
richest person in the world.

And I'm keeping the bloody lot.

So sue me.

http://www.globalrichlist.com/

Newsgroup ettiquette

1) Tell everyone the Trolls don't bother you.
2) Say you've killfiled them, yet continue to respond.
3) Tell other people off who repsond despite doing so yourself.
4) Continually talk about Trolls while maintaining
they're having no effect.
5) Publicly post killfile rules so the Trolls know
how to avoid them.
6) Make lame legal threats and other barrel scraping
manoeuvres when your abuse reports are ignored.
7) Eat vast quantities of pies.
8) Forget to brush your teeth for several decades.
9) Help a demon.local poster with their email while
secretly reading it.
10) Pretend you're a hard ******* when in fact you're
as bent as a roundabout.
11) Become the laughing stock of Usenet like Mabbet
12) Die of old age
13) Keep paying Dr Chartham his fees and hope one day you
will have a penis the girls can see.

---------------------------------------

"If you would'nt talk to them in a bar, don't *uckin' vote for them"

"Australia was not *discovered* it was invaded"
The Big Yin.
Old 13-01-2004, 04:34 PM
Mike

"tony" wrote in message
When are we going to get rid of the political cross-posting from this

group
and get back to the topic of GARDENING?
Tony

But there have always been politics in the garden as Flanders and Swann
realised:-

The fragrant Honeysuckle spirals clockwise to the sun
and many other creepers do the same
But some climb anticlockwise,
the Bindweed does for one,
or Convolvulus, to give her proper name.
Rooted on either side a door
one of each species grew
and raced up to the window ledge above
Each corkscrewed to the lintel in the only way it knew
where they stopped, touched tendrils, smiled
and fell in love.

Said the right-handed Honeysuckle to the left handed Bindweed
'oh let us get married if our parents don't mind we'd
be loving and inseparable, inextricably entwined we'd
live happily ever after' said the Honeysuckle to the Bindweed.

To the Honeysuckle's parents it came as a shock,
the Bindweeds, they cried, 'are inferior stock,
They're uncultivated, of breeding bereft
We twine to the right and they twine to the left'.

Said the anticlockwise Bindweed to the clockwise Honeysuckle;
'We'd better start saving
Many a mickle mac's a muckle
Then run away on a honeymoon and hope that out luck'll
take a turn for the better', said the Bindweed to the Honeysuckle.

A bee who was passing exclaimed to them then;
'I've said it before and I'll say it again
Consider your offshoots, if offshoots there be,
They'll never receive any blessing from me'.
Poor little sucker, how will it learn
When it is climbing, which way to turn,
Right, Left, what a disgrace
Our it may go straight up and fall flat on its face.

Said the right-hand thread Honeysuckle to the left-hand thread Bindweed
'It seems that against us all fate has combined
Oh my darling, oh my darling
Oh my darling Columbine
thou art lost and gone forever
We shall never intertwine'.

Together they found them, the very next day
They had pulled up their roots and just shrivelled away
Deprived of that freedom for which we must fight
To veer to the left or to veer to the right.

Mike ;-))

Old 13-01-2004, 05:02 PM
Gary Woods

"Mike" wrote:

Together they found them, the very next day
They had pulled up their roots and just shrivelled away
Deprived of that freedom for which we must fight
To veer to the left or to veer to the right.

And to think I only knew them for "Madeira M'Dear" and something about a
motor bus...

Old 13-01-2004, 06:05 PM
Mike

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
"Mike" wrote:

Together they found them, the very next day
They had pulled up their roots and just shrivelled away
Deprived of that freedom for which we must fight
To veer to the left or to veer to the right.

And to think I only knew them for "Madeira M'Dear" and something about a
motor bus...

Mud, Mud, Glorious Mud etc

My thanks to

http://timothyplatypus.tripod.com/FaS/

for the posting I made.

Mike

Old 13-01-2004, 07:04 PM
shazzbat

"Mike" wrote in message

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
"Mike" wrote:

Together they found them, the very next day
They had pulled up their roots and just shrivelled away
Deprived of that freedom for which we must fight
To veer to the left or to veer to the right.

And to think I only knew them for "Madeira M'Dear" and something about a
motor bus...

Mud, Mud, Glorious Mud etc

My thanks to

And wasn't it them who did something along the lines of " I'm a Gnu"?

Nice one though mike, I haven't heard anything of theirs for some time.

Steve

Old 13-01-2004, 07:33 PM
Gary Woods

"Mike" wrote:

Mud, Mud, Glorious Mud etc

Ah, yes... I made a major impression with a lady friend who took me to a
local concert when I picked up on the intro and joined happily in on the
chorus.... "You know _that_?"

At least, mud is quasi-gardening related, no?

And I do have a pond with lots of mud in it, just down past the garden; no
hippopotami, though.

Old 13-01-2004, 08:13 PM
Mary Fisher

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , tony
writes
When are we going to get rid of the political cross-posting from this

group
and get back to the topic of GARDENING?

There is no way to stop people from other ngs from cross posting in
here.

Apparently there is, I have instructions but haven't got round to using them
yet because I recognise and nuke. I can post the details here if anyone
asks.

Mary

Old 13-01-2004, 08:42 PM
Cerumen

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , tony
writes
When are we going to get rid of the political cross-posting from this

group
and get back to the topic of GARDENING?

There is no way to stop people from other ngs from cross posting in
here. Kill the thread, and don't waste time grumbling about it.

Agree absolutely, kill the crossposter, kill the thread and all is normal
again.

--
Chris Thomas
West Cork

Old 13-01-2004, 11:06 PM
David Hill

Surely this thread is a good example of "Non Gardening " political (Not
party Political) ramblings.

As has been said so often before, a garden thrives with applications of
S***(Manure) every so often.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 13-01-2004, 11:38 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "tony" contains these words:

When are we going to get rid of the political cross-posting from this group
and get back to the topic of GARDENING?

What political posting from this group? If there is any, it's falling
into my killfile, and I'd guess it's being posted *TO*, not from.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 14-01-2004, 05:42 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Gary Woods contains these words:
"Mike" wrote:

Together they found them, the very next day
They had pulled up their roots and just shrivelled away
Deprived of that freedom for which we must fight
To veer to the left or to veer to the right.

And to think I only knew them for "Madeira M'Dear" and something about a
motor bus...

I'm sure you know the Hippopotamus song (Mud, Mud.....)
"I'm a - - G-nu....."
"'Twas on the Monday Morning, the Gasman came..."

and a lot more - I can thoroughly recommend the 3 CD set - At the Drop
of a Hat, At the Drop of Another Hat, and The Bestiary.

Probably obtainable from your local library.

Old 14-01-2004, 05:42 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

"Mike" wrote:

Mud, Mud, Glorious Mud etc

Ah, yes... I made a major impression with a lady friend who took me to a
local concert when I picked up on the intro and joined happily in on the
chorus.... "You know _that_?"

At least, mud is quasi-gardening related, no?

And I do have a pond with lots of mud in it, just down past the garden; no
hippopotami, though.

Plant rhubarb round it and they'll probably come and nest in it.