Old 08-10-2011, 12:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Where to buy bulk epson salt?

Amos Nomore wrote:
In article , "Bob F"
wrote:

Amos Nomore wrote:
In article , "Bob F"
wrote:

David Hare-Scott wrote:
Bob F wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
Bob F wrote:
I've just been told that the curled under leaves on my italian
prune trees are caused by magnesiom deficiency and I should
apply a few pounds of epson salts under each tree.

Is the diagnosis likely to be accurate? Location is Seattle.

I don't know about leaves curling, I thought magnesium
deficiency cause leaf yellowing especially in older leaves.
Can you provide a photo?

Photo here (I hope)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/68364065@N07/6220401824/

I got a login screen and I don't have an account.

It's the first time I tried it. I'll try to figure out the problem.

Just change the privacy settings for the photo.

OK - settings changed. Can anyone see it now?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68364065@N07/6220401824/

Yes. Have you ruled-out aphids and whiteflies, etc.?

This tree usually have lots of aphids. There were none this year, which
surprised me. It was the first thing I looked for. I didn't see any bugs on the
leaves.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

Good to see you back :O)

Thank you Billy. We're still jet lagged and we both suffered from altitude
sickness, but the trip exceeded all expectations. Luckily for me, the
weather here wasn't hot and we got lots of rain so my garden is weedy but
alive and not so out of hand as to strangle us in our beds. My poor rooster
is sick though and I am rather concerned about his survival.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Bob F" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:
"Bob F" wrote in message
I've just been told that the curled under leaves on my italian prune
trees are caused by magnesiom deficiency and I should apply a few
pounds of epson salts under each tree.

Your search might be easier if you looked for it using the correct
name which is 'Epsom salts'. It is named after the town of Epsom in
the UK.
I would be extremely suspicious of taking any advice to use that
amount of Epsom salts under any tree.

Thanks for both comments. Maybe that explains all the ink cartridges I
found in my search. Ooops!

LOL. Spreading a couple of pounds of the black goo in Epson cartridges
under a tree could prove interesting :-))

Old 08-10-2011, 06:23 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Bob F" wrote in message

(snip)
OK - settings changed. Can anyone see it now?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68364065@N07/6220401824/

Yup - can see it. It doesn't look too bad really, but I do agree with David
about magnesium deficiency - it doesnt' look like the descriptions given for
that. It's not a stunningly healthy look, but then I wouldn't be overly
worried about it either.

How long ago were the pics taken? You'd be just about to go into Autumn
leaf loss soonish wouldn't you? If so, I'd not do anything to it until next
Spring and then if it looks as sad as it does in the pics, I'd try the usual
things - check the moisture level, give it a feed with pelleted chook poo,
give it a watering with a 2 gall can to which a teaspoon of trace elements
have been added, give it some seaweed/fish emulsion, mulch it. (Not
altogether mind you, try one thing at a time and keep an evil eye on it's
progress).

HTH.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

u...
"Bob F" wrote in message

(snip)
[...]

One further thought; have you done a search for fungal diseases of prunus
trees as it could be a fungal. There is a nasty called 'silver leaf' but
I've not seen it in the flesh.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

I've just been told that the curled under leaves on my italian prune trees are
caused by magnesiom deficiency and I should apply a few pounds of epson salts
under each tree.

Is the diagnosis likely to be accurate? Location is Seattle.

\
Don't know, who diagnosed? Doesn't sound likely, may be mag unavailable
due to pH, get a second opinion.

What kind of store wound I go to for a good price on 50 or 100 lb bags of epson
salt?

Around here any nursery/garden supply would have 1-10 lb bags and could
probably get larger sizes. But if it turns out you need larger sizes try
a farm supply place for best price.
--

09=IX
Old 08-10-2011, 04:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Garrapata wrote:

I've just been told that the curled under leaves on my italian prune trees
are
caused by magnesiom deficiency and I should apply a few pounds of epson
salts
under each tree.

Is the diagnosis likely to be accurate? Location is Seattle.

\
Don't know, who diagnosed? Doesn't sound likely, may be mag unavailable
due to pH, get a second opinion.

What kind of store wound I go to for a good price on 50 or 100 lb bags of
epson
salt?

Around here any nursery/garden supply would have 1-10 lb bags and could
probably get larger sizes. But if it turns out you need larger sizes try
a farm supply place for best price.

I agree that a you would need less than a pound (454 g) to adjust any
magnesium deficiency you may have. I've found that your local
pharmacy/apothecary will have the best prices.
--
- Billy
Both the House and Senate budget plan would have cut Social Security and Medicare, while cutting taxes on the wealthy.

Kucinich noted that none of the government programs targeted for
elimination or severe cutback in House Republican spending plans
"appeared on the GAO's list of government programs at high risk of
waste, fraud and abuse."
http://www.politifact.com/ohio/state...is-kucinich/re
p-dennis-kucinich-says-gop-budget-cuts-dont-targ/

[W]e have the situation with the deficit and the debt and spending and jobs. And it's not that difficult to get out of it. The first thing you do is you get rid of corporate welfare. That's hundreds of billions of dollars a year. The second is you tax corporations so that they don't get away with no taxation.
- Ralph Nader
http://www.democracynow.org/2011/7/19/ralph_naders_solution_to_debt_crisis
Old 08-10-2011, 05:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

Doesn't appear to be a Mg problem. Looks more like verticillium wilt
but that is a " looks like", not any confirmation.
Again don't go dumping a bunch of Epsom salts until you can accurately
diagnose the problem Hopefully its not silver leaf as mentioned.
You can prune a small branch to see If a brown core is running through
it... if so, you got silver leaf and a whole set of new problems. If
not, you are in the clear.

Don't know about false silver leaf, that is an environmental problem
and could be an issue. Yet again, I recommend you talk to your local
Master Gardener or go directly to WSU's diagnosis lab to get an
assessment on your own:
http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/plantcli...mples/ppd.html.

We have seen an increase in mildews, fungi up here the last few years
with the present Pacific Decadal Oscillation, So yes we are heading
into winter and the leaves will fall but many of these problems do not
go away and will reappear next year, so watch for early signs and
accurately treat .

good luck