Old 07-02-2012, 03:47 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair

Default Removing 1.5 Acres of Bamboo in Towson, MD

Bamboo is a grass so Roundup is not a very effective option.

The first thing to be done is ID the type bamboo,it may not be a
runner and the cure much easier.
Talk to your county Extention agent, they will be able to direct you
in the right direction and may have low cost options for you the land
owner.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:53 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair

I received an addendum to the herbicide treatment. Garlon 4 (and
RoundUp) can be mixed with water, also. Adding a little detergent to
the mix would allow for the herbicide to better adhere to the slick
bamboo stalk.

I wouldn't recommend using a bushhog or shredder to cut the bamboo.
Any knot or joint, left behind, would likely sprout. Running bamboo/
yaupon is a prolifically invasive grass specie.

You will have one heck of a job removing all the above ground bamboo
debris, no matter what you do to cut it. Do a little at a time.
It'll eventually get done, unless you can afford to do or have the
whole job done, at one time.

Sonny
Old 07-02-2012, 03:58 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair

On Feb 7, 1:51*am, Ron wrote:
(rolling eyes)

Roll your eyes all you want but if the DEC catches on to what you're
doing, and it's not "legal," they can pretty much ruin you for life.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:00 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair

On Feb 7, 6:21*am, N8N wrote:
On Feb 6, 4:00*pm, Evan wrote:

On Feb 6, 11:54*am, Elliott P wrote:

Greetings all. A new property of my family's is covered by a massive
stand of running bamboo. The lot is six acres rectangular, where about
*one and a half* acres of the total acreage is covered by a very dense
stand of running bamboo. It is 350 feet long deep at its longest
dimension The plants have been there for decades, as the property was
allowed to fall into a state of disrepair. It is our intention to
restore the property, inside and out.

Options for removal I've seen generally target small areas. However
this is a much bigger problem! My first thought is to hire someone
with a bulldozer to come push it all down, and then put it all in a
commercial wood chipper. This could get expensive though. What else
can we do? What problems does my scenario present? Hiring a panda bear
would probably not go over well with the neighborhood.

The property is in Towson, Maryland.

Thank you in advance.

Are you allowed to clear cut the wooded/brush/bamboo area ?

Is it considered a "wet land" ?

You should check with your nearest conservation/environmental
authorities to make sure you are allowed to cut all of that
natural vegetation down without some kind of site plan/impact
study done and having a permit hearing...

Not saying that the OP doesn't need to do that (I've heard of dumber
things) but bamboo has never been native to Maryland to my
knowledge... *you'd think the enviro types would be happy to see it
go.

nate- Hide quoted text -

I had the same reaction as Ron when I read that post.

I don't think it is native anywhere on the continent. but then I hae
been wrong once or twice in my life.

Harry K
Old 07-02-2012, 04:42 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 6 Feb 2012 08:54:09 -0800 (PST), Elliott P wrote:
Greetings all. A new property of my family's is covered by a massive
stand of running bamboo. The lot is six acres rectangular, where about
*one and a half* acres of the total acreage is covered by a very dense
stand of running bamboo. It is 350 feet long deep at its longest
dimension The plants have been there for decades, as the property was
allowed to fall into a state of disrepair. It is our intention to
restore the property, inside and out.

Prepare for a multi-season struggle:
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/chatham/ag/h...booControl.htm
There's a vast network of underground rhizomes that can sprout the second
you knock down the tops, and will keep on doing so as long as there is
stored starch in them. It will take a very long time to exhaust them
by purely physical control methods, so this is one of those cases where
physical and chemical controls may be required.

Always a good practice with trying to control something this firmly established:get an expert id on the weed first. If, for example, you've actually got
Japanese knotweed, sometimes called Japanese, American or Mexican bamboo,
there's a good possibility that the control measures could be different.
http://www.invasivespeciesinfo.gov/p...knotweed.shtml
http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact/pdf/faja1.pdf

Kay

Old 07-02-2012, 05:26 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair

On 2/6/12 10:58 AM, Elliott P wrote:
On Feb 6, 12:06 pm, mj wrote:
[...]

Can you burn it?
MJ

MJ, burning it is probably not an option in this suburban location as
it is too close to nearby homes and other woods.

Burning will NOT kill the underground roots and runners.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 07-02-2012, 05:40 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair

On 2/6/12 5:24 PM, Sonny wrote [in part]:
Bamboo is a grass. You can chop it down, but it will sprout back
out. You either have to dig up the roots, also, or kill the plant
with a herbicide. Check with the nearest forest service, as they have
a potent enough tree killer that will do the job and only they are
allowed to use that herbicide. I doubt you can do that big of job,
yourself.

Yes, bamboo is a giant grass. However, you do not want to use a
tree-killing herbicide.

There are herbicides that specifically target grass, killing both the
visible growth and also the roots but generally not damaging non-grass
plants. I use Grass Getter, but there are others. These are best used
when the grass is actively growing.

I suggest you have the area cleared. Any piece of bamboo remaining --
if it includes an internode (joint) -- can root and sprout. Thus, what
is cut must be hauled away

In the spring, fertilize the area well and make sure the soil remains
moist. When new bamboo shoots are about 1-2 ft high, spray with a
grass-killing herbicide mixed with some liquid soap. The soap ensures
that the spray really wets the bamboo. You might have to repeat this
treatment a few times. Be sure to treat any new shoots that grow beyond
the current patch; running bamboo can send its underground runners many
feet away from existing shoots.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:24 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair

On 02/06/2012 10:54 AM, Elliott P wrote:
[...]

That Bamboo is worth a lot of money. Before you destroy it look
on Ebay and see how much it sells for then think of how much you
can make. It's like money in the bank. People pay for something
you don't want.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:04 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 13:24:18 -0600, Mysterious Traveler
wrote:

[...]

Maybe he'll sell it to you, all you gotta do is come and take it all.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 7 Feb 2012 08:00:32 -0800 (PST), Harry K wrote:
On Feb 7, 6:21Â*am, N8N wrote:

I don't think it is native anywhere on the continent. but then I hae
been wrong once or twice in my life.

There are 3 species of Arundinaria native to the US, all in the SE/Appalachia
area: A. appalachiana, A. gigantea, and A. tecta. That's all we've got for
native bamboos. There are others in N America, in Mexico and Central America.
Mexico, for instance, has 8 genera and 35 species.

If you want to know mo http://herbarium.usu.edu/webmanual/

Kay

Old 07-02-2012, 11:35 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in :

Elliott P wrote:
Greetings all. A new property of my family's is covered by a massive
stand of running bamboo. The lot is six acres rectangular, where about
*one and a half* acres of the total acreage is covered by a very dense
stand of running bamboo. It is 350 feet long deep at its longest
dimension The plants have been there for decades, as the property was
allowed to fall into a state of disrepair. It is our intention to
restore the property, inside and out.

Options for removal I've seen generally target small areas. However
this is a much bigger problem! My first thought is to hire someone
with a bulldozer to come push it all down, and then put it all in a
commercial wood chipper. This could get expensive though. What else
can we do? What problems does my scenario present? Hiring a panda bear
would probably not go over well with the neighborhood.

Put up a sign - bamboo for sale. Then everyone will steal it?

Open Chinese takeout?
Old 08-02-2012, 01:17 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair

Elliott P wrote:

i'd be calling around, there are likely
some people who'd want it, it does have
many uses.

flooring, fencing, roofing, matting, blinds,
walls, construction, musical instruments, food, ...

cheaper to get it locally than to import
it.

songbird
Old 08-02-2012, 03:40 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair

On Feb 7, 6:21 am, N8N wrote:

I don't think it is native anywhere on the continent. but then I hae
been wrong once or twice in my life.

There are 3 species of Arundinaria native to the US, all in the SE/Appalachia
area: A. appalachiana, A. gigantea, and A. tecta. That's all we've got for
native bamboos. There are others in N America, in Mexico and Central America.
Mexico, for instance, has 8 genera and 35 species.

If you want to know mo http://herbarium.usu.edu/webmanual/

Kay

Actually, the Arundinoideae are not bamboos. They are reeds. None of
the bamboo genera fall within that subfamily.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:49 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair

On Feb 7, 6:21 am, N8N wrote:

I don't think it is native anywhere on the continent. but then I hae
been wrong once or twice in my life.

There are 3 species of Arundinaria native to the US, all in the SE/Appalachia
area: A. appalachiana, A. gigantea, and A. tecta. That's all we've got for
native bamboos. There are others in N America, in Mexico and Central America.
Mexico, for instance, has 8 genera and 35 species.

If you want to know mo http://herbarium.usu.edu/webmanual/

Kay

Actually, the Arundinoideae are not bamboos. They are reeds. None of
the bamboo genera fall within that subfamily.

Oops! Arundinaria are NOT part of the Arundinoideae. Instead, they are
indeed bamboos.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

Elliott P wrote:
[...]

I'll bet the Amish could build some neat stuff with it.

Greg