Old 09-02-2012, 02:22 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair

Default Removing 1.5 Acres of Bamboo in Towson, MD

On Feb 9, 9:03*am, Elliott P wrote:
On Feb 8, 6:14*pm, "David E. Ross" wrote:

On 2/8/12 1:18 PM, John Simpson wrote:

If you're in MD, your 'bamboo' is most likely Japanese Knotweed.
It's REAL tough to get rid of!

JAS

Both Wikipedia and Sunset's "Western Garden Book" indicate that Japanese
knotweed is Persicaria capitata. *This is a ground cover that, in my
garden, forms a mat about 6 inches thick. *Through most (sometimes all)
of the year, it has small clusters of pink flowers that resemble the
flowers of white clover. *For that reason, P. capitata is also called
pink clover although it is definitely not a clover at all.

However, Wikipedia also indicates that Japanese knotweed is also
Fallopia japonica (aka, Polygonum cuspidatum or Reynoutria japonica).
This indeed grows like a bamboo to 10 or more feet high. *If this is
really what Elliott P has, a grass-specific herbicide will not work
because Fallopia japonica is not at all a grass.

All this illustrates the fact that many different, unlike plants often
share the same common name. *This is why I try to use botanical names
when possible. *This also illustrates why the plant should be positively
identified before any attempt to eradicate it. *If a neighbor was
correct in reporting that this was cut for feeding pandas at a nearby
zoo, however, this must be a bamboo and not F. japonica.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: *California Mediterranean, see

David and others,

I uploaded several pictures I happen to have of the questionable
plants to my Dropbox account. You can see the gallery hehttp://www.dropbox.com/gallery/27454...amboo?h=d5ab39

I took these before posting this, therefore I don't have any close ups
of the leaves really. The first shows a fox I found running in there.
The next four are various angles, where you can see how massive these
are. There are also some in the snow, and then one showing how a large
tree has fallen among the bamboo causing some damage.

I'll take more when time and daylight allows.- Hide quoted text -

ahh you admit a fox in the area. thus you have a wildlife preserve.
and will require federal state local government approval. must catch
and relocate all the wildlife. and meet EPA and other requirements.
plus post bonds and get inspections to prove the standards were met

why not just leave this island of whatever alone?

what ae you planning on doing with it? planting grass?

thats just more grass to cut
Old 09-02-2012, 02:45 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair

On Thu, 9 Feb 2012 06:03:29 -0800 (PST), Elliott P
wrote:

[...]

Your property looks completely overgrown with all kinds of vegetation.
To get rid of that bamboo you are going to have to till deep and rake
out the roots. I suggest you obtain a dozer, bamboo stumps will
pierce tractor tires. You have a lot of work to do over the next few
years... you are not going to get rid of that bamboo in one season,
probably take five years of constant attention. Consider yourself
lucky it's not on a slope. After cutting it to the ground the first
thing I'd do is hire someone with a backhoe to dig a trench around the
entire perimeter, deep and wide. Once the bamboo is eradicated I
suggest seriously considering installing a 2 acre pond. Anyone who
plants bamboo, any kind, is an imbecile.
http://www.howtogetridofstuff.com/ou...rid-of-bamboo/
http://www.completebamboo.com/bamboo_removal.html
Old 09-02-2012, 03:27 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair

On Feb 9, 12:24*am, Gunner wrote:
On Feb 8, 2:43*pm, "David E. Ross" wrote:

On 2/7/12 8:26 PM, Harry K wrote:

On Feb 7, 7:47 am, Gunner wrote:
Bamboo is a grass so Roundup is not a very effective option.

The first thing to be done is ID the type bamboo,it may not be a
runner and the cure much easier.
Talk to your county Extention agent, they will be able to direct you
in the right direction and may have low cost options for you the land
owner.

??? *Roundup works very well indeed on grass. *Dunno about bamboo but
I don't see why it wouldn't work there as well.

Harry K

Roundup kills almost any plant. *Grass Getter, Poast, and similar
grass-specific herbicides do not harm most broad-leaf plants.

With both herbicids and insecticides, I tend to favor the kinds that are
specific to the pest I'm trying to kill instead of killing everything in
the neighborhood. *No, I'm not an organic gardener; I'm merely careful.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: *California Mediterranean, see

Controlling Bamboo in Landscape Plantings

by Dr. Joseph C. Neal, Weed Scientist
Department of Horticultural Science
North Carolina State University

"Too often I receive the following plea: "My neighbor planted bamboo
and now it is coming up all over my yard. I have tried to kill it and
nothing seems to work!. What can I do?" Bamboo is one of the most
difficult to control "escaped ornamentals." Once established, bamboo
can take over landscapes, stream banks, and woodlands. I have seen
bamboo shoots actually breaking though concrete driveways.
Unfortunately, postemergence herbicides such as Roundup seem to only
burn back the foliage, providing no real control. "- Hide quoted text -

Odd. I just googled it and your cite is the first on. All the others
on page one say Roundup works fine...as would be expected as RU kills
roots, not top growth. The tops die when they are no longer getting
food.

Harry K
Old 09-02-2012, 04:10 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair

On 2/9/2012 9:27 AM, Harry K wrote:

Odd. I just googled it and your cite is the first on. All the others
on page one say Roundup works fine...as would be expected as RU kills
roots, not top growth. The tops die when they are no longer getting
food.

Glyphosate kills plants by inhibiting 5-enolpyruvylshikimate-3-phosphate
synthase (EPSPS). EPSPS is a key enzyme in the shikimate biosynthetic
pathway which is necessary for the production of the aromatic amino
acids, auxin, phytoalexins, folic acid, lignin, plastoquinones and many
other secondary products.

There are plants that are resistant both naturally as well as
genetically altered ("Roundup Ready (tm)" soybeans, etc.). There have
been instances also of weeds becoming glyphosate-resistant where it has
been used exclusively for weed control over a period of time.

I'm not positive how effective it is on bamboo(s); I'm sure it would
only be very effective on small new growth after a severe mowing if it
is very useful at all.

You might investigate Remedy (tm) as an alternative altho it may be
restricted back east, I don't know...since I farm and have applicator's
license I'm not up on just what homeowner can get otc...

Old 09-02-2012, 06:20 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair

On Feb 9, 7:27Â*am, Harry K wrote:
On Feb 9, 12:24Â*am, Gunner wrote:

On Feb 8, 2:43Â*pm, "David E. Ross" wrote:

On 2/7/12 8:26 PM, Harry K wrote:

On Feb 7, 7:47 am, Gunner wrote:
Bamboo is a grass so Roundup is not a very effective option.

The first thing to be done is ID the type bamboo,it may not be a
runner and the cure much easier.
Talk to your county Extention agent, they will be able to direct you
in the right direction and may have low cost options for you the land
owner.

??? Â*Roundup works very well indeed on grass. Â*Dunno about bamboo but
I don't see why it wouldn't work there as well.

Harry K

Roundup kills almost any plant. Â*Grass Getter, Poast, and similar
grass-specific herbicides do not harm most broad-leaf plants.

With both herbicids and insecticides, I tend to favor the kinds that are
specific to the pest I'm trying to kill instead of killing everything in
the neighborhood. Â*No, I'm not an organic gardener; I'm merely careful.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: Â*California Mediterranean, see

Controlling Bamboo in Landscape Plantings

by Dr. Joseph C. Neal, Weed Scientist
Department of Horticultural Science
North Carolina State University

"Too often I receive the following plea: "My neighbor planted bamboo
and now it is coming up all over my yard. I have tried to kill it and
nothing seems to work!. What can I do?" Bamboo is one of the most
difficult to control "escaped ornamentals." Once established, bamboo
can take over landscapes, stream banks, and woodlands. I have seen
bamboo shoots actually breaking though concrete driveways.
Unfortunately, postemergence herbicides such as Roundup seem to only
burn back the foliage, providing no real control. "- Hide quoted text -

Odd. Â*I just googled it and your cite is the first on. Â*All the others
on page one say Roundup works fine...as would be expected as RU kills
roots, not Â*top growth. Â*The tops die when they are no longer getting
food.

Harry K.

as would be expected as RU kills
roots, not Â*top growth.

I do not find this to be correct as dpb's post explains. . I do see
where my statement is misleading, should have said is a type of grass
that R/U control is not effective on. I do not believe R/U is even on
label for bamboo. but do verify that. For further references see
below:

http://www.bioone.org/doi/abs/10.1614/WT-05-187.1;

Weed Technology
Published by: Weed Science Society of America
Weed Technology 21(1):80-83. 2007

doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1614/WT-05-187.1

Controlling Bamboo (Phyllostachys Spp.) with Herbicides
Mark A. Czarnota and Jeffrey Derr*

"Bamboos are grass species that can escape cultivation and invade
lawns, landscapes, and other areas. Limited information is available
on ways to control invasive bamboo species. Greenhouse and field
studies were initiated to determine the level of bamboo control
provided by a single application of selected PRE and POST herbicides.
Bamboo species included in the study were golden bamboo in greenhouse
experiments and red-margined bamboo in field experiments. In
greenhouse trials, MSMA, quinclorac, dithiopyr, clethodim, fenoxaprop,
and sethoxydim did not control either species. Glyphosate,
glufosinate, and fluazifop significantly reduced bamboo-shoot fresh
weight, although regrowth occurred after a single application. In
field trials, bamboo control with dichlobenil in the 2002 and 2004
experiments was less than 23%. For the study initiated in 2002,
glyphosate and imazapyr provided 76% and 98% bamboo control,
respectively, at 58 wk after treatment (WAT). By 161 WAT
(approximately 3 yr after treatment), bamboo-control ratings were 40%
with glyphosate and 85% with imazapyr. For the study initiated in
2004, at 61 WAT, glyphosate and imazapyr provided 46 and 88% control
of bamboo, respectively."

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ag266:

“Herbicides"

"Considering the perennial nature of bamboo, the use of herbicide will
often be needed to hasten and improve control. However,*** there are
currently no herbicide labels that list bamboo as a controlled
species*** (emphasis added) . But there are herbicides that are
relatively effective on this weed. Both glyphosate (Roundup and
others) and imazapyr (Arsenal and others), ***used at high rates***
( emphasis added) , will control bamboo.
Research has shown that for herbicides to be effective, the bamboo
should be mowed or chopped and allowed to regrow to a height of
approximately 3 feet, or until the leaves expand (Figure 2 Pic
deleted). Glyphosate at a 5% solution or imazapyr as a 1% solution can
then be applied directly to the leaves.

It has been noted that imazapyr is more effective on bamboo than
glyphosate. However, imazapyr has a great deal of foliar and soil
activity and will potentially kill hardwood trees, shrubs, and all
grasses if their roots extend into the vicinity of the application.
Therefore, if the bamboo is growing near any desirable plant species,
imazapyr should not be used. Glyphosate does not have soil activity
and will only kill plants that are contacted with the spray solution.
This makes glyphosate a more useful herbicide option for most areas
where bamboo grows. It is important to note that one application of
glyphosate will not eradicate bamboo. You will likely be required to
mow and spray as many as 4 times for complete bamboo control to be
achieved. Persistence is key when targeting this weed.
Additionally, glyphosate comes in many different formulations and
concentrations. The 5% solution (or 6 fl oz per gallon) refers to
glyphosate formulated at a 41% concentration. If the glyphosate
product you intend to use does not contain 41% active ingredient, then
the application rate should be altered to accommodate this
difference.â€

http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgi...hgic2320.html;

“A final, and often necessary, method of control for bamboo is the use
of herbicides. A non-selective herbicide with the active ingredient
glyphosate (e.g., Roundup Original, Eraser Systemic Weed & Grass
Killer, Quick Kill Grass & Weed Killer, Bonide Kleenup Grass & Weed
Killer, Hi-Yield Super Concentrate Killzall Weed & Grass, Maxide Super
Concentrate 41% Weed & Grass Killer, and Southern States Grass & Weed
Killer Concentrate) is the best option for homeowners. Glyphosate has
very little residual soil activity and will only kill plants that
receive direct contact. For glyphosate to be effective, the bamboo
must be mowed or chopped and allowed to regrow until the new leaves
expand. Glyphosate should then be applied to the leaves. Keep in mind
that one application of glyphosate will not eradicate the bamboo
infestation. It can potentially take two to three years to gain
complete control. Do not apply these products directly to water or to
areas where surface water is present. For bamboo control next to
creeks, lake basins, wetlands or other water sources where spray drift
will contact the water, choose a glyphosate product labeled for use
near water, such as Eraser AQ, Rodeo, Pondmaster, Aquamaster or
Aquapro. Aquatic formulations of glyphosate may be mixed with a non-
ionic surfactant, such as Ortho X-77 or Southern Ag Surfactant for
Herbicides, to improve control. When using herbicides, please be sure
to follow all label instructions.â€

Old 09-02-2012, 09:21 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

plants bamboo, any kind, is an imbecile. *http://www.howtogetridofstuff..com/o..._removal.html- Hide quoted text -

i guess you missed where the OP said theres utility lines and a septic
tank in the bamboo area.

Whats wrong with just leaving it grow?
Old 09-02-2012, 09:55 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair

plants bamboo, any kind, is an imbecile. *http://www.howtogetridofstuff.com/ou..._removal.html- Hide quoted text -

i guess you missed where the OP said theres utility lines and a septic
tank in the bamboo area.

I guess you missed where the OP said there MIGHT BE utility lines and
a septic in the bamboo area.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair

On Thu, 9 Feb 2012 06:03:29 -0800 (PST), Elliott P wrote:
I uploaded several pictures I happen to have of the questionable
plants to my Dropbox account. You can see the gallery he
http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/27454...amboo?h=d5ab39

No, you've got a real bamboo there; my guess from the photos is a Phyllostachys.
Control methods he http://plants.ifas.ufl.edu/node/324
http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/pubs...ic/bamboos.htm
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn74142.html

Watch carefully for spray drift. Desirable plants that get hit with
Roundup/Rodeo can be rescued by immediate treatment with muddy water to bind
glyphosate.

My first inclination, seeing those photos, would be to consider brush
hogging the area and then hand application of glyphosate to the new sprouts.
I'm pretty sure that will work, but will require constant vigilance and respray
for a couple of years.

And yes, I will consider using carefully chosen chemicals, preferably applied
in the most directed manner possible, for control of large weed infestations.

Kay

Old 10-02-2012, 04:17 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair

On Feb 9, 9:22*am, bob haller wrote:
[...]

eye roll number 2 in this thread
Old 10-02-2012, 02:08 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair

On 2/9/2012 10:17 PM, Ron wrote:

and will require federal state local government approval. must catch
and relocate all the wildlife. and meet EPA and other requirements.
plus post bonds and get inspections to prove the standards were met

eye roll number 2 in this thread

Not sure if tongue-in-cheek or not; w/ Haller, probably not.

Next we'll be hearing how the K&T wiring must come out...

Old 10-02-2012, 05:13 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair

On Feb 7, 9:21*am, N8N wrote:
On Feb 6, 4:00*pm, Evan wrote:

On Feb 6, 11:54*am, Elliott P wrote:

Greetings all. A new property of my family's is covered by a massive
stand of running bamboo. The lot is six acres rectangular, where about
*one and a half* acres of the total acreage is covered by a very dense
stand of running bamboo. It is 350 feet long deep at its longest
dimension The plants have been there for decades, as the property was
allowed to fall into a state of disrepair. It is our intention to
restore the property, inside and out.

Options for removal I've seen generally target small areas. However
this is a much bigger problem! My first thought is to hire someone
with a bulldozer to come push it all down, and then put it all in a
commercial wood chipper. This could get expensive though. What else
can we do? What problems does my scenario present? Hiring a panda bear
would probably not go over well with the neighborhood.

The property is in Towson, Maryland.

Thank you in advance.

Are you allowed to clear cut the wooded/brush/bamboo area ?

Is it considered a "wet land" ?

You should check with your nearest conservation/environmental
authorities to make sure you are allowed to cut all of that
natural vegetation down without some kind of site plan/impact
study done and having a permit hearing...

Not saying that the OP doesn't need to do that (I've heard of dumber
things) but bamboo has never been native to Maryland to my
knowledge... *you'd think the enviro types would be happy to see it
go.

nate

@Nate:

It might not be "native" to Maryland, but it is growing there on
its own over a 1.5 acre area -- which makes it something
that might require permission of/supervision from the AHJ or
environmental/conservation authorities before you go about
removing it on your own...

The nativity of a species of plant doesn't impact its vital
role as a means of erosion control and as a water absorber...

Making major changes which effect erosion and water flow
properties of most lands requires oversight -- it is the size
of the area in which the OP seeks to modify that is really
at issue...

~~ Evan
Old 10-02-2012, 05:38 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair

On Feb 10, 9:08*am, dpb wrote:
On 2/9/2012 10:17 PM, Ron wrote:

and will require federal state local government approval. must catch
and relocate all the wildlife. and meet EPA and other requirements.
plus post bonds and get inspections to prove the standards were met

eye roll number 2 in this thread

Not sure if tongue-in-cheek or not; w/ Haller, probably not. *

Next we'll be hearing how the K&T wiring must come out...

--

well my post was a joke, but one never knows, and using herbicides
likely make it worse.

i have some new K&T info but thats for another day........
Old 10-02-2012, 05:53 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair

On 2/10/2012 11:13 AM, Evan wrote:

It might not be "native" to Maryland, but it is growing there on
its own over a 1.5 acre area -- which makes it something
that might require permission of/supervision from the AHJ or
environmental/conservation authorities before you go about
removing it on your own...

I'd think it far more likely to be on a noxious weed list _requiring_
control than the converse...

Old 10-02-2012, 07:34 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair

Evan wrote:
On Feb 7, 9:21*am, N8N wrote:
On Feb 6, 4:00*pm, Evan wrote:
[...]

Were it protected land; water shed, riparian, wetlands, etc, the owner
would know by perusing the property survey or simply phoning the town
clerk. Such information is generally on line too as it's public
record... they'd be able to say if there is a septic or utility line
buried. Absent a body of water on that piece of land I seriously
doubt that stand of bamboo is in any way protected... I have a 1/2
pond that I mow right to the edge each fall and cut out most of the
catails. I'd just hack that basmboo down and do whatever it takes
within legality (chems/fire) to be rid of it. With the right
equipment it shouldn't take very long to cut, chip, plow, and rake
that small plot, no more than 4 eight hour days and like 40 gallons of
diesel. If kept closely mowed whatever roots remain will die off
within a couple three seasons, I seriously doubt any defolient is
necessary, just keep mowing, even if twice a week... with my 7' mower
I can mow an acre in 20 minutes. I mow 10 acres of lawn every week,
when weather is dry I can do it all in one day, and I have several
separate areas, and lots of edging, miles of edging.
With my brush hog I can chop down a 4 acre wildflower meadow in about
four hours, typically 4'-6' tall:
http://i41.tinypic.com/18ndpg.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/15dto4h.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/2cygs4o.jpg
No problem with my finish mower either:
http://i44.tinypic.com/25ujfgj.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/1177lom.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/2pzy2s1.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/2yn19xu.jpg
After clearing wild turkeys have a feast:
http://i44.tinypic.com/2134qps.jpg
I can guarantee I'd have that bamboo gone in three days, all while in
total A/C, dust-free comfort, with music blasting, wouldn't even work
up a sweat.