Old 26-04-2012, 11:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Spacing of plants

This year my garden will be all containers so tomato and
pepper plants can winter indoors.

My Habenero Peppers will be arranged in a north-south direction
with a separation of 3 feet between N-S rows and 2 feet between
plants with each N-S row.

Am I spacing the out too much?
Old 26-04-2012, 12:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

Dick Adams said:

This year my garden will be all containers so tomato and
pepper plants can winter indoors.

My Habenero Peppers will be arranged in a north-south direction
with a separation of 3 feet between N-S rows and 2 feet between
plants with each N-S row.

Am I spacing the out too much?

I would suggest you can move your plants and rows a little closer
together by staggering plants from one row to the next (best viewed
in Fixed Font):

X X X X X X
X X X X X
X X X X X X

(I have found that one problem with container plants is often that the
container itself can become overheated by exposure to the sun. So keep
that in mind.)

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 13-05-2012, 09:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 4/26/2012 6:10 AM, Dick Adams wrote:
This year my garden will be all containers so tomato and
pepper plants can winter indoors.

My Habenero Peppers will be arranged in a north-south direction
with a separation of 3 feet between N-S rows and 2 feet between
plants with each N-S row.

Am I spacing the out too much?

My feed and supply guy told me peppers need to be touching each other.
I've planted like this and it's done well.
This year I have planted 4 pepper plants in an 8 gal container, I did
this last year, however the deer ate them first.
Old 14-05-2012, 10:31 AM
Registered User

Location: California

Habanero pepper plants need good spacing to grow to their full size, so space the plants 18 to 24 inches apart. Rows should be at least 3 feet apart. The best soil for growing habanero peppers is a well-drained soil, amended with lots of organic matter such as compost, rotted leaves or rotted manure. Adding a layer of mulch around the pepper plants' root systems controls weeds and prevents moisture loss from the soil. The soil pH should be near neutral, in the range of 6.0 to 7.0.
__________________
Fruit Trees
Old 14-05-2012, 10:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

allen73 wrote:

Habanero pepper plants need good spacing to grow to their full size, so
space the plants 18 to 24 inches apart. Rows should be at least 3 feet
apart. The best soil for growing habanero peppers is a well-drained
soil, amended with lots of organic matter such as compost, rotted leaves
or rotted manure. Adding a layer of mulch around the pepper plants' root
systems controls weeds and prevents moisture loss from the soil. The
soil pH should be near neutral, in the range of 6.0 to 7.0.

Thank you for confirming my thoughts.

Dick

Old 14-05-2012, 11:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

jimmy wrote:
Dick Adams wrote:

This year my garden will be all containers so tomato and
pepper plants can winter indoors.

My Habenero Peppers will be arranged in a north-south direction
with a separation of 3 feet between N-S rows and 2 feet between
plants with each N-S row.

Am I spacing the out too much?

My feed and supply guy told me peppers need to be touching
each other. I've planted like this and it's done well. This year
I have planted 4 pepper plants in an 8 gal container, I did this
last year, however the deer ate them first.

I suspect the peppers you're planting are low on the Scoville scale.
Bell, Banana, Jalapeo, Serrano, Cayenne, and Malagueta Peppers
are all below 100,000 Scoville. Rabbits and deer may eat them,
but I have yet to lose a Habenero plant lost to a deer or a rabbit.

Last year I planted Bhut Jolokia (1 million Scoville). They were
planted too close together (12" to 15"). and they grew to 4' tall.
So in a container garden, They'd be one to a large pot.

This year I've planted six Red Savina Reds (~ 400,000 Scoville,),
three Scotch Bonnet peppers (~200,000 Scoville), and three
Trinidad Seven Pot peppers (~1,000,000 Scoville). These 12
plants are in no danger from being breakfast, lunch, or supper
any critter. Only humans are dumb enough to eat Habeneros.

My other plants (tomatoes and Bell peppers) have cages
around them.

[IMG] code is On

Minimum Spacing Between Plants in Photinia Hedge W[_2_] Gardening 12 01-08-2016 08:48 PM
Bambusa Lako spacing Rick DeBay Bamboo 5 01-02-2006 10:17 PM
B. oldhamii spacing Rick Emerson Bamboo 1 14-04-2003 03:32 AM
Sweet Alyssum spacing? Someone Gardening 8 09-04-2003 04:44 AM
Spacing of Perennials Jack United Kingdom 2 02-03-2003 05:00 PM