Old 16-06-2012, 05:29 PM
Registered User

Default I need a gardener!

I want to employ a gardener for our house garden in Liverpool. It's too big for me to look after. Does anyone have any suggestions in how best to go about advertising for one and how to tell how good those answering are?

What is a fair hourly rate?

Many thanks

Mark
Old 17-06-2012, 09:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 16, 9:29*am, mark_gb
wrote:
I want to employ a gardener for our house garden in Liverpool. *It's too
big for me to look after. *Does anyone have any suggestions in how best
to go about advertising for one and how to tell how good those answering
are?

What is a fair hourly rate?

Many thanks

Mark

Could you ask at your neighborhood nursery? They might have a
ballpark idea...or even recommend gardeners.

HB
Old 17-06-2012, 11:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

mark_gb wrote:
I want to employ a gardener for our house garden in Liverpool. It's
too big for me to look after. Does anyone have any suggestions in
how best to go about advertising for one and how to tell how good
those answering are?

What is a fair hourly rate?

Many thanks

Mark

This is an international group. Check in local papers.

Old 18-06-2012, 06:38 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
Could you ask at your neighborhood nursery? They might have a
ballpark idea...or even recommend gardeners.

HB
Thanks HB, that was the kind of answer I was looking for.

I'm not sure if the problem is that everyone thinks the answer is so obvious it's not worth stating? Or no-one here has any experience employing gardeners because they're doing it all themselves?

Mark
Old 19-06-2012, 12:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 18, 10:38*am, mark_gb
wrote:
Higgs Boson;962063 Wrote:

Could you ask at your neighborhood nursery? *They might have a
ballpark idea...or even recommend gardeners.

HB

Thanks HB, that was the kind of answer I was looking for.

I'm not sure if the problem is that everyone thinks the answer is so
obvious it's not worth stating? *Or no-one here has any experience
employing gardeners because they're doing it all themselves?

****Now, now, Mark, simmer down...this is a friendly group; no harm
intended.

Can't say how our long-distance friends function, but I have a long-
time gardener to mow & edge. Everything else I do myself. (!!!!)

My deal with Antonio: Mow & edge one week; next week do some big job
that is getting too much for me or I don't want to bother.

Ex: Prune a very large shrub (he always does an artistic job), or
trim the large front hedge, or weed some particularly noxious bed,
or.... It's been working out fine for years. He also gives his
requested input on plans.

I fix him a nice breakfast/snack/coffee every week, which he seems to
enjoy and I give him lemons from my tree. .

HB

Old 19-06-2012, 01:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

mark_gb wrote:
Higgs Boson;962063 Wrote:
Could you ask at your neighborhood nursery? They might have a
ballpark idea...or even recommend gardeners.

HB

Thanks HB, that was the kind of answer I was looking for.

I'm not sure if the problem is that everyone thinks the answer is so
obvious it's not worth stating? Or no-one here has any experience
employing gardeners because they're doing it all themselves?

Mark

It could also be that they are nowhere near you and are not wasting your
time with local information that is irrelevant.

Old 19-06-2012, 07:22 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hare-Scott[_2_] View Post
It could also be that they are nowhere near you and are not wasting your
time with local information that is irrelevant.

Thanks D, let me clarify.

I'm not looking for advice specific to Liverpool, although maybe anyone trying to help might wonder wherabouts I am. I'm a total novice looking for some general principles on how where to look and how to pick someone if I have some options.

I'm not the only one - if you do a google search for "i need a gar" the top search is "I need a gardener". Does anybody rate any of the sites you get on this search, by the way?

Mark
Old 19-06-2012, 07:25 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
Now, now, Mark, simmer down...this is a friendly group; no harm intended.
Thanks again HB, I'm sorry if I came across gruffly. It was a genuine question - I'm surprised no-one else has been able to help so far.

Mark
Old 20-06-2012, 12:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

mark_gb wrote:
'David Hare-Scott[_2_ Wrote:
;962204']
It could also be that they are nowhere near you and are not wasting
your

time with local information that is irrelevant.

Thanks D, let me clarify.

I'm not looking for advice specific to Liverpool, although maybe
anyone trying to help might wonder wherabouts I am. I'm a total
novice looking for some general principles on how where to look and
how to pick someone if I have some options.

I'm not the only one - if you do a google search for "i need a gar"
the top search is "I need a gardener". Does anybody rate any of the
sites you get on this search, by the way?

Mark

The general principles are the same for engaging any worker who is going to
work at your place. How do engage a plumber or a housekeeper? How do you
tell if a plumber is any good if you are not skilled in that work yourself?
There is nothing special about gardeners in that respect, use the same
approach.

When you asked for an hourly rate your *were* asking for specific
information about Liverpool. How will the going rate at Dungog in AU$ help?

David