Old 11-12-2012, 04:52 PM
Registered User

Default Unknown Plant Can Anyone help ?

Hi I was walking down the road a couple of years ago and i saw that someone had thrown out a dead plant. I was looking mostly at the pot it was in to see if i could use it. Anyway i noticed that the top of the plant was still green so i chopped it off and took it home to see if it would root. It did and it grew to a decent size then started to wither again so i chopped off the top again scrapped the rest of the plant rooted the cutting and it grew again. But this time (And considering that it's early Dec) it's started to split at the top and a load of really sticky buds have appeared as if overnight. I looked closely at it and it's literally dripping with tons of sticky sweet tasting nectar. This hasn't happened before and I'm starting to wonder what kind of plant starts budding and dripping nectar despite the British Winter. I live in an apartment block 4 floors up & i don't have a garden so it sits in my living room window I'm gonna put a couple of links to pictures I've just taken of this plant and would be extremely grateful if someone could tell me what the plant is called.

On a similar topic,
I've also succeeded in growing an Orange Bush from seeds in a clementine orange i was eating a couple of years ago and it's doing quite well does anyone know how old an orange bush has to be before it will flower and produce fruit ?

Picture of The Unknown Plant Alongside My Clementine Bush.
http://imageshack.us/a/img94/7417/imag0027of.jpg

Picture of the Unknown Plant Top Close Up.
http://imageshack.us/a/img69/6004/imag0028bs.jpg

Picture Of the Nectar Dripping Buds At The Top Of The Unknown Plant.
http://imageshack.us/a/img834/9052/imag0032zj.jpg

If anyone can help identify the Unknown plant then please let me know. I have searched google images and found nothing that looks like this plant.
Attached Thumbnails
Unknown Plant Can Anyone help ?-imag0027.jpg   Unknown Plant Can Anyone help ?-imag0028.jpg   Unknown Plant Can Anyone help ?-imag0032.jpg
Old 11-12-2012, 09:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 12/11/12 8:52 AM, FilGee wrote:

[...]

http://tinyurl.com/d8vs6zl

Picture of the Unknown Plant Top Close Up.
http://tinyurl.com/cnvmfd9

Picture Of the Nectar Dripping Buds At The Top Of The Unknown Plant.
http://tinyurl.com/c6qqect

If anyone can help identify the Unknown plant then please let me know. I
have searched google images and found nothing that looks like this
plant.

|Filename: IMAG0027.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15427|
|Filename: IMAG0028.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15428|
|Filename: IMAG0032.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15429|

The foliage resembles some kind of Dracaena. However, I have had two
for well over 15 years, and neither of them has ever bloomed.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 11-12-2012, 11:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

David E. Ross wrote:
On 12/11/12 8:52 AM, FilGee wrote:

Hi I was walking down the road a couple of years ago and i saw that
someone had thrown out a dead plant. I was looking mostly at the pot
it was in to see if i could use it. Anyway i noticed that the top of
the plant was still green so i chopped it off and took it home to
see if it would root. It did and it grew to a decent size then
started to wither again so i chopped off the top again scrapped the
rest of the plant rooted the cutting and it grew again. But this
time (And considering that it's early Dec) it's started to split at
the top and a load of really sticky buds have appeared as if
overnight. I looked closely at it and it's literally dripping with
tons of sticky sweet tasting nectar. This hasn't happened before and
I'm starting to wonder what kind of plant starts budding and
dripping nectar despite the British Winter. I live in an apartment
block 4 floors up & i don't have a garden so it sits in my living
room window I'm gonna put a couple of links to pictures I've just
taken of this plant and would be extremely grateful if someone could
tell me what the plant is called.

On a similar topic,
I've also succeeded in growing an Orange Bush from seeds in a
clementine orange i was eating a couple of years ago and it's doing
quite well does anyone know how old an orange bush has to be before
it will flower and produce fruit ?

Picture of The Unknown Plant Alongside My Clementine Bush.
http://tinyurl.com/d8vs6zl

Picture of the Unknown Plant Top Close Up.
http://tinyurl.com/cnvmfd9

Picture Of the Nectar Dripping Buds At The Top Of The Unknown Plant.
http://tinyurl.com/c6qqect

If anyone can help identify the Unknown plant then please let me
know. I have searched google images and found nothing that looks
like this plant.

Filename: IMAG0027.jpg |
Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15427|
Filename: IMAG0028.jpg
| Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15428|
Filename: IMAG0032.jpg
| Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15429|

The foliage resembles some kind of Dracaena. However, I have had two
for well over 15 years, and neither of them has ever bloomed.

I think you are right, maybe D messengeana or D sanderiana. My D marginata
blooms every year and the flowers look somewhat similar, little clumps of
balls, in the case of marginata they are red though.

In any case it is looking rather leggy, I doubt it gets much light. As for
the orange unless it gets several hours of (yer actual) sunlight a day (at
least) the chances of fruiting are next to nothing.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 10:12:53 +1100, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

David E. Ross wrote:
On 12/11/12 8:52 AM, FilGee wrote:

Hi I was walking down the road a couple of years ago and i saw that
someone had thrown out a dead plant. I was looking mostly at the pot
it was in to see if i could use it. Anyway i noticed that the top of
the plant was still green so i chopped it off and took it home to
see if it would root. It did and it grew to a decent size then
started to wither again so i chopped off the top again scrapped the
rest of the plant rooted the cutting and it grew again. But this
time (And considering that it's early Dec) it's started to split at
the top and a load of really sticky buds have appeared as if
overnight. I looked closely at it and it's literally dripping with
tons of sticky sweet tasting nectar. This hasn't happened before and
I'm starting to wonder what kind of plant starts budding and
dripping nectar despite the British Winter. I live in an apartment
block 4 floors up & i don't have a garden so it sits in my living
room window I'm gonna put a couple of links to pictures I've just
taken of this plant and would be extremely grateful if someone could
tell me what the plant is called.

On a similar topic,
I've also succeeded in growing an Orange Bush from seeds in a
clementine orange i was eating a couple of years ago and it's doing
quite well does anyone know how old an orange bush has to be before
it will flower and produce fruit ?

Picture of The Unknown Plant Alongside My Clementine Bush.
http://tinyurl.com/d8vs6zl

Picture of the Unknown Plant Top Close Up.
http://tinyurl.com/cnvmfd9

Picture Of the Nectar Dripping Buds At The Top Of The Unknown Plant.
http://tinyurl.com/c6qqect

If anyone can help identify the Unknown plant then please let me
know. I have searched google images and found nothing that looks
like this plant.

Filename: IMAG0027.jpg |
Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15427|
Filename: IMAG0028.jpg
| Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15428|
Filename: IMAG0032.jpg
| Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15429|

The foliage resembles some kind of Dracaena. However, I have had two
for well over 15 years, and neither of them has ever bloomed.

I think you are right, maybe D messengeana or D sanderiana. My D marginata
blooms every year and the flowers look somewhat similar, little clumps of
balls, in the case of marginata they are red though.

In any case it is looking rather leggy, I doubt it gets much light. As for
the orange unless it gets several hours of (yer actual) sunlight a day (at
least) the chances of fruiting are next to nothing.

A friend's just bloomed this week for the very first time. Not sure
which dracena it is, but you can catch a look at her photographs of it
here as well as a few words at the link below.

(she is a great photographer, over and above these few pics.)

http://annsan.smugmug.com/On-the-Roa..._PqBcg7S/Large
Old 12-12-2012, 11:34 PM
Registered User

Thanks for the replies.
Neither plant had been watered in a couple of weeks because i forgot to water them the soil was bone dry when i put a couple of pints of water in it the other day and as it's Winter here it doesn't get much light at the moment. I looked over at it the day i posted this thread and that bloom was sticking out the top of it seemingly appeared from nowhere. On inspection I couldn't believe that it'd never done this before and it's literally Sticky with Nectar. In the closeup picture of the bloom those droplets you can see are not water that's sticky sugary sweet nectar. I get a lot of Sun through that window in the Summer months almost all day the suns coming through the window. The bend near the base of it it and the chopped off lower leaves are the result of my 2 year old son attacking it playing diggers in the pot

I've been Curious for a while as to what my rescued cutting could be & now that it's attempting to flower and the amount of Nectar dripping off of it and in Winter I'm really curious. If flowers do develop I'll post a picture.
For now i'll search for those plant names mentioned and post back my thoughts. Again thanks so much everyone for taking the time to offer some answer's

Old 12-12-2012, 11:49 PM
Registered User

Having google pictured "Dracaena" the one that looks the best match i've seen so far is a "Corn Plant 'Massangeana' Dracaena fragrans"

The one in the picture looked much healthier, the leaves are variegated & and resemble the same shape. If the lower leaves had'nt been demolished by Bob the builder & i had been taking better care of it then i think it would look the same. I think I'll wait for the flowering stage to complete then chop the top and start again taking much better care of it this time.
Attached Thumbnails
Unknown Plant Can Anyone help ?-7e7a48.jpg
Attached Images

Old 12-12-2012, 11:58 PM
Registered User

I just found a picture of a similar plant in full flower.
It sort of looks like a Honey Suckle flower.
I'm still surprised by just how much Nectar this thing is producing and it's not even hot in here. I'm surprised it's flowering at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Unknown Plant Can Anyone help ?-800px-dracaena_fragrans_massangeana_flower.jpg