Old 09-07-2013, 05:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default tomato in driveway

I was taking out the garbage and there was a tomato in the driveway. Decent
size, but green. I was up 5-0 but apparently no shutout this year. I may
have to go Doc Ellis on the squirrels.

It rained here for about 3 days straight so I did not put vinegar on the
rags. I should have this morn. But I dilly dallied, and that is my
fault.... The squirrels have made their move, now it is time for counter
measures. "No half measures" as Walt says.

Old 09-07-2013, 06:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Monday, July 8, 2013 9:20:50 PM UTC-7, Gus wrote:
I was taking out the garbage and there was a tomato in the driveway. Decent

size, but green. I was up 5-0 but apparently no shutout this year. I may

have to go Doc Ellis on the squirrels.

It rained here for about 3 days straight so I did not put vinegar on the

rags. I should have this morn. But I dilly dallied, and that is my

fault.... The squirrels have made their move, now it is time for counter

measures. "No half measures" as Walt says.

That has to be the greatest first line in modern poetry! Heck, poetry period. T.S. Eliot, step back!

The whole poem is fabulous. Love that line about vinegar, rags & rain. More!

HB
Old 09-07-2013, 06:58 AM posted to rec.gardens

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwcP3NOCeiE

Old 09-07-2013, 12:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message
On Monday, July 8, 2013 9:20:50 PM UTC-7, Gus wrote:
I was taking out the garbage and there was a tomato in the driveway.
Decent

size, but green. I was up 5-0 but apparently no shutout this year. I
may

have to go Doc Ellis on the squirrels.

It rained here for about 3 days straight so I did not put vinegar on the

rags. I should have this morn. But I dilly dallied, and that is my

fault.... The squirrels have made their move, now it is time for counter

measures. "No half measures" as Walt says.

That has to be the greatest first line in modern poetry! Heck, poetry
period. T.S. Eliot, step back!

The whole poem is fabulous. Love that line about vinegar, rags & rain.
More!

HB

I have an idea for a new video game. It involves squirrels. A first person
shooter game with various weapons. One is a nuclear bomb.

Old 09-07-2013, 01:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/9/2013 7:32 AM, Gus wrote:
[...]

Google up the videos of squirrels catapulted from a trap. Here's one
but I've seen better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QVHzxwNmUc

Some people think they are cruel but I've seen squirrels fall from the
tops of tall trees without harm. Tough little *******s.

Old 09-07-2013, 02:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Frank" wrote in message

Google up the videos of squirrels catapulted from a trap. Here's one but
I've seen better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QVHzxwNmUc

Some people think they are cruel but I've seen squirrels fall from the
tops of tall trees without harm. Tough little *******s.

A couple got in my roof last year. Had to pay about $300 to get them
professionally removed and the roof repaired. One them died in the trap.
Literally looked frozen, though it was not cold and in the 50s. The guy
said sometimes that happens. They have a heart attack or something and die
frozen in place. Was kinda freaky. It was in the trap for about a day and
half on the edge of the roof like that, till the guy came and got it.

In retrospect, maybe I should have had it stuffed and put it on the back
deck. As a kind of "scare-squirrel" As a way to let the squirrels know:
if you don't leave my tomatoes alone, you're next.

Old 09-07-2013, 02:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Frank" wrote in message

Google up the videos of squirrels catapulted from a trap. Here's one but
I've seen better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QVHzxwNmUc

Some people think they are cruel but I've seen squirrels fall from the
tops of tall trees without harm. Tough little *******s.

I hope it hit the tree, got knocked out, and a large cat or dog came by.

"no more half measures"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3u-6UFLubI

Old 09-07-2013, 04:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

Gus wrote:
"Frank" wrote in message

[...]

If it's any consolation, I saw a squirrel get his up comings and ended up
dead in the middle of the road. Seems no one felt sorry for it, either, and
let it lay there for a while with it's dead furry taile flopping around in
the breeze.

--
Natural Girl //(**)\\

Old 09-07-2013, 05:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl" wrote in
message ...
Gus wrote:
"Frank" wrote in message

[...]

TBH, it does not make me feel better. I just wish they would leave my
tomatoes alone, and stay out of my attic!

I have no natural animosity towards them and do not like to see any animal
suffer, but they and their bad attitude and rude actions make it difficult
to "live and let live"

Old 09-07-2013, 05:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/9/2013 9:33 AM, Gus wrote:
"Frank" wrote in message

[...]

Happened to one of my sons a couple of years ago. Squirrel died in
liner between fireplace chimney and wall. He had to hire a contractor
to expose chimney and repair exposure and a fire place guy to fix the
chimney. Cost him well over $1,000 not including smell in the house
along with maggots.

Old 09-07-2013, 05:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/9/2013 9:45 AM, Gus wrote:
"Frank" wrote in message

Google up the videos of squirrels catapulted from a trap. Here's one
but I've seen better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QVHzxwNmUc

Some people think they are cruel but I've seen squirrels fall from the
tops of tall trees without harm. Tough little *******s.

I hope it hit the tree, got knocked out, and a large cat or dog came by.

"no more half measures"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3u-6UFLubI

Happened when I was out in the woods bow hunting.
Squirrels jumping between trees missed their target or slipped and fell
to the ground. They just got up and continued doing their squirrel
things like nothing happened.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Frank" wrote in message
On 7/9/2013 9:33 AM, Gus wrote:
"Frank" wrote in message

[...]

Luckily, I got mine out before that or they started a family. My BIL had
one in his attic and he found the entrance and closed it up. The next day,
when the squirrel could not get back in-- it let out a blood curdling
scream. And then for days after, he would often see the squirrel sitting on
the roof staring at him-- with daggers in it's eyes.

Old 09-07-2013, 06:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Frank" wrote in message
On 7/9/2013 9:45 AM, Gus wrote:
"Frank" wrote in message

Google up the videos of squirrels catapulted from a trap. Here's one
but I've seen better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QVHzxwNmUc

Some people think they are cruel but I've seen squirrels fall from the
tops of tall trees without harm. Tough little *******s.

I hope it hit the tree, got knocked out, and a large cat or dog came by.

"no more half measures"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3u-6UFLubI

Happened when I was out in the woods bow hunting.
Squirrels jumping between trees missed their target or slipped and fell to
the ground. They just got up and continued doing their squirrel things
like nothing happened.

In the 80s I lived in Denver and was driving down a nice tree-lined street
to work. All of a sudden, I see this flash of gray by the left front of my
car, and a loud thump. I looked in the rear view mirror, and there was a
squirrel lying on it's back, it's little arms and legs up in the air, not
moving. I don't think that one got back up.

I have had them dart out in front of me when riding a bike. Then, reverse
course and dart back in front of me just as I am going past, just barely not
getting run over. Have had this happen 3-4 times. How do the brainless
twits survive long enough to reproduce?

Old 09-07-2013, 09:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

Gus wrote:
"Frank" wrote in message
On 7/9/2013 9:45 AM, Gus wrote:
"Frank" wrote in message

[...]

My friend calls them things I can't really repeat!

--
Natural Girl //(**)\\

[IMG] code is On

moss on driveway ouglas United Kingdom 21 19-11-2003 03:32 PM
Driveway blocks? RWL Gardening 5 28-04-2003 05:32 AM
Coarse gravel driveway Ron Kelly Australia 1 16-04-2003 10:08 AM
Coarse gravel driveway Ron Kelly Australia 0 30-03-2003 12:56 AM
Coarse gravel driveway Joe Australia 1 28-03-2003 10:32 AM