Old 16-11-2003, 01:03 AM
ouglas

Default moss on driveway

A year has nearly past since I fell on the mossy driveway.
I paid an expert to remove the moss using high pressure steam/water.
All was well but now it is returning like mad
Any ideas ? Perhaps Pathclear would do the trick...It would certainly be
cheaper.

Old 16-11-2003, 04:43 PM
Shirl

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 00:47:11 -0000, "ouglas"
wrote:

A year has nearly past since I fell on the mossy driveway.
I paid an expert to remove the moss using high pressure steam/water.
All was well but now it is returning like mad
Any ideas ? Perhaps Pathclear would do the trick...It would certainly be
cheaper.

From experience Pathclear does not kill moss. All the high pressure
cleaning did was clear the moss, not the cause, i.e. lack of drainage
or/and damp
Old 16-11-2003, 09:36 PM
Tumbleweed

"ouglas" wrote in message
A year has nearly past since I fell on the mossy driveway.
I paid an expert to remove the moss using high pressure steam/water.
All was well but now it is returning like mad
Any ideas ? Perhaps Pathclear would do the trick...It would certainly be
cheaper.

Once its cleared you'll have to keep it clear and not let it build up. Buy
your own high pressure cleaner (watch out you dont wash out the mortar, you
could also try dilute jeyes fluid but it stinks! You could also look at the
drainage but if its in a shaded area it may be that it just naturally is
going to accumulate.

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)

Old 17-11-2003, 09:32 AM
Jane Ransom

In article , Tumbleweed
writes

Once its cleared you'll have to keep it clear and not let it build up. Buy
your own high pressure cleaner (watch out you dont wash out the mortar, you
could also try dilute jeyes fluid but it stinks!

Jeyes fluid is now banned.

We just use a power hose on ours about twice a year.

Unless you are opposed to using chemicals, use something known as hypo -
I think its correct name is sodium hypochlorite, but don't quote me. A
very dilute solution watered on to the drive should keep it clear of
moss.

--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 17-11-2003, 11:23 AM
Franz Heymann

"Jane Ransom" wrote in message
In article , Tumbleweed
writes

Once its cleared you'll have to keep it clear and not let it build up.

Buy
your own high pressure cleaner (watch out you dont wash out the mortar,

you
could also try dilute jeyes fluid but it stinks!

Jeyes fluid is now banned.

We just use a power hose on ours about twice a year.

Unless you are opposed to using chemicals, use something known as hypo -
I think its correct name is sodium hypochlorite, but don't quote me. A
very dilute solution watered on to the drive should keep it clear of
moss.

That is a relatively expensive bleach. There are cheaper household
bleaches. My guess is that any of them might beat the moss.

Franz

Old 17-11-2003, 12:04 PM
Spider

Try dousing it with an ordinary acid/ericaceous plant food. It is often
used to kill moss in lawns. It has the added advantage of being relatively
harmless if it reaches your borders.
Spider

Old 17-11-2003, 12:07 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"ouglas" writes:
| A year has nearly past since I fell on the mossy driveway.
| I paid an expert to remove the moss using high pressure steam/water.
| All was well but now it is returning like mad
| Any ideas ? Perhaps Pathclear would do the trick...It would certainly be
| cheaper.

Are you sure that the moss was the cause? In my experience, it
often gets the blame for causing slipperyness when the problem
is often algae. The same conditions cause both!

Anyway, I use a stiff broom, a handful of sharp sand, some water
and elbow grease. It is less damaging to soft surfaces (e.g.
sand between paving blocks or decaying tarmac) than a power
hose, a LOT cheaper, takes up a lot less storage space and often
quicker (once you factor in the time taken to set up power hoses,
let alone hire them).

It takes far less effort than you might think, too, and I reckon
to clear a couple of square metres per minute. I ignore the
moss and concentrate on the algae.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 17-11-2003, 02:32 PM
Ron Clark

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 09:28:05 +0000, Jane Ransom
wrote:

Jeyes fluid is now banned.

No it isn't.

They're just not allowed to advertise it as a soil sterilising agent.

--
®óñ© © ²°°³
Old 17-11-2003, 03:02 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , Ron Clark
writes
wrote:

Jeyes fluid is now banned.

No it isn't.

They're just not allowed to advertise it as a soil sterilising agent.

What on earth is the world coming to.
Every little bit of legislation seems geared to making the legal
profession even more money ((((((((
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 17-11-2003, 03:02 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

Anyway, I use a stiff broom, a handful of sharp sand, some water
and elbow grease.

Maclaren the Spartan!!!!!!! )

a LOT cheaper, takes up a lot less storage space

Oh come on, Nick; a power hose takes up no more space than a broom, a
bucket/hosepipe and a bag of sand!!!!!!!

and often
quicker (once you factor in the time taken to set up power hoses,

a couple of minutes??

It takes far less effort than you might think, too,

I know how long it takes me just to sweep the yard . . . and how much
effort. I would *not* want to scrub it with a stiff broom!!!!!!!

and I reckon
to clear a couple of square metres per minute.

I bet you do it in bare feet too!!!!!!
Superman, spartan Maclaren )
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 17-11-2003, 05:03 PM
Ron Clark

wrote:

Once its cleared you'll have to keep it clear and not let it build up. Buy
your own high pressure cleaner (watch out you dont wash out the mortar, you
could also try dilute jeyes fluid but it stinks!

Jeyes fluid is now banned.

We just use a power hose on ours about twice a year.

Unless you are opposed to using chemicals, use something known as hypo -
I think its correct name is sodium hypochlorite, but don't quote me. A
very dilute solution watered on to the drive should keep it clear of
moss.

When I put moss killer on the lawn I make sure to cover the drives
and paths as well. This seems to be effective, and why not?

--
®óñ© © ²°°³
Old 17-11-2003, 05:17 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Jane Ransom writes:
| In article , Nick Maclaren
| writes
|
| Anyway, I use a stiff broom, a handful of sharp sand, some water
| and elbow grease.
|
| Maclaren the Spartan!!!!!!! )
|
| a LOT cheaper, takes up a lot less storage space
|
| Oh come on, Nick; a power hose takes up no more space than a broom, a
| bucket/hosepipe and a bag of sand!!!!!!!

Except that most people will have the first two already, and many
will have the third. Also, only the first has to be stored out of
the rain.

| and often
| quicker (once you factor in the time taken to set up power hoses,
|
| a couple of minutes??

If I am just clearing a short walkway, as most people will be doing,
then "yes". Seriously.

| It takes far less effort than you might think, too,
|
| I know how long it takes me just to sweep the yard . . . and how much
| effort. I would *not* want to scrub it with a stiff broom!!!!!!!

Perhaps you need more exercise :-)

| and I reckon
| to clear a couple of square metres per minute.
|
| I bet you do it in bare feet too!!!!!!

Not usually, because I wear boots in winter! I don't like the cold
much.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 17-11-2003, 06:33 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from martin contains these words:

/snip/

| Oh come on, Nick; a power hose takes up no more space than a broom, a
| bucket/hosepipe and a bag of sand!!!!!!!

Except that most people will have the first two already, and many
will have the third. Also, only the first has to be stored out of
the rain.

The first is rumoured to be used for transport by some female posters

Anne!

Cue your old sig!

--
Rusty Hinge http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)

Killing Driveway Green Moss Robert11 Lawns 4 02-05-2008 12:16 AM
Moss on Driveway Will United Kingdom 7 27-10-2005 06:09 PM
[IBC] Moss dressing pots was : culitvating moss on a large scale Kev Bailey Bonsai 2 20-07-2005 03:59 PM
Coarse gravel driveway Ron Kelly Australia 0 30-03-2003 12:56 AM
Coarse gravel driveway Joe Australia 1 28-03-2003 10:32 AM